Match #32
Portugal : Uruguay
Monday, 28 November 2022
22:00 local time (19:00 GMT, 14:00 EST)
Lusail

Referee: Alireza FAGHANI (IRN)

AR1: Mohammadreza Mansouri (IRN)
AR2: Mohammadreza Abolfazli (IRN)
Fourth Official: Abdulrahman Al-Jassim (QAT)
Fifth Official: Saoud Almaqaleh (QAT)
VAR: Abdullah Al-Marri (QAT)
AVAR (1): Shaun Evans (AUS)
Offside AVAR (2): Anton Shchetinin (AUS)
Support AVAR (3): Redouane Jiyed (MAR)
Stand-by Offside AVAR (4): Ashley Beecham (AUS)

The Referee Store
All things considered, Faghani has done well controlling what could have been a wild and chaotic game given the teams and personalities. ARs have also done well on some close on/off calls, too.

Not sure about that handball, doesn't that qualify as his supporting arm? Absolutely in a natural position imo. Didn't look like he was fully convinced giving it either, but can see the argument either way

Absolutely awful decision.
Just give all hand to ball contact if sh*te like this is being given

I watch that call and ask WTF a defender is supposed to do with his arm. We punish it for being above the body. And now we punish for keeping it below the body. And that is a C&O call?

Can it be considered a 'supporting arm' if the arm isn't supporting anything?
Its on his way down to support him falling. If it was a sliding tackle then it would be supporting.

Only way this can be given if ref team has deemed it to be intentional

Peter Walton on ITV is so vague… stopped the progress of the bal… WTF Peter.., stop confusing, defending and obfuscating… it’s a sh*t decision based on the LotG! Quote, explain!

I thought the referee was actually smirking… did he also know it was rubbish?!

Argh!

touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation.

Argh!

Obviously 100000% hypothetical here but the VAR being Qatari and not from the same nation as the referee. I’m curious if that’s crept into Faghanis mind at all

Argh!

touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation.

Argh!
If this was properly enforced we'd see so few pens for handball. Which would be preferable than this crap shoot

unbelievable! None of us are giving that. Why's a whole team of nearly 10 in the VAR room even flagged it!?
Makes our jobs so much harder explaining the rules in the park on a saturday morning when everyone has just seen that. ffs

Peter Walton on ITV is so vague… stopped the progress of the bal… WTF Peter.., stop confusing, defending and obfuscating… it’s a sh*t decision based on the LotG! Quote, explain!

I thought the referee was actually smirking… did he also know it was rubbish?!
is there some kind of referee brotherhood that I'm not aware off, he said 'subjective' - code for I wouldn't have given it, why can't he be explicit.??

is there some kind of referee brotherhood that I'm not aware off, he said 'subjective' - code for I wouldn't have given it, why can't he be explicit.??
Old boys club, never throwing someone under the bus.

Petey you old git, you’re taking the media dollar, just say you disagree if you disagree. You’re not King of Referees.

Back