A&H

Playing with spectacles !!!!

Zimmyman

Ok today I had to break a 12 year old heart by not letting play because he had normal glasses on not sports !! There manager said he’s been wearing them for two
Years with no problem ! I said but not on my watch if the boy is blinded from a ball kicked at his glasses it’s down to me and my reputation ! It was the first thing we learnt on our course ! It caused a fuss but I had to not let him play for the his safety ! My responsibility ! and th LOTG
thoughts ?

The Referee Store
I always asked if the spectacles were made for playingbsport in and if the answer was yes....play on. I certainly can't tell the difference.

I can’t afford not to check it’s the LOTG also would one want a badly injured child on there responsibility ?

Whilst we have to do due diligence and uphold the laws of the game, and I personally think you did the right thing.
Although, to kind of go along with minty too I suggest you read law 5 and specifically:

Screenshot_20180930-185221_Drive.jpg

I found this a while a back while googling for an answer to a similar question, comes from the FA website.

Asks the ref to consider letting children play in normal glasses if there's nothing sharp or dangerous about them (aside from them being glasses).

It's unfair to put the final say on refs like this I think. There should be a parental consent form or similar to absolve the ref of responsibility if they're goimg to use this approach.

Attachments

• playing-football-and-wearing-glasses.doc
    41.5 KB · Views: 11
I found this a while a back while googling for an answer to a similar question, comes from the FA website.

Asks the ref to consider letting children play in normal glasses if there's nothing sharp or dangerous about them (aside from them being glasses).

It's unfair to put the final say on refs like this I think. There should be a parental consent form or similar to absolve the ref of responsibility if they're goimg to use this approach.

I've encountered this. It eclipses the whole checking boots palaver for obvious reasons
At very young ages (U10, i'd say) the risk is mitigated somewhat by the pace at which the ball travels and the tame nature of challenges. I'm inclined to allow the participation, but only after frank discussion with the parents in particular (and coach).
It's crazy that parents will expose kids to this risk

I've encountered this. It eclipses the whole checking boots palaver for obvious reasons
At very young ages (U10, i'd say) the risk is mitigated somewhat by the pace at which the ball travels and the tame nature of challenges. I'm inclined to allow the participation, but only after frank discussion with the parents in particular (and coach).
Thank you this is great information !! Maybe I was a big tough and ok I am absolved from any injury ! But my instructors on my course were very adamant that non sports glasses are a no no ! Also why do a safe gauding children course if one does not show any due dil

I've always allowed it. The risk is negligible at worst, imo. Never heard of an. Injury being caused. Especially as almost all lenses are plastic. As long as there aren't unusual protruding or sharp edges I'd allow it.
In my old ra were were advised that as long as we ask if they're not glass then we've done enough.

I've never allowed this and it's partly because I have first-hand knowledge of the damage that can be done. From my personal experience I'd say it's not necessarily the lenses that are the problem so much as the nose-piece. When you get a hard-struck ball slamming into your glasses, even if the lenses don't shatter (which mine never have) it drives the nose-piece into the bridge of your nose and/or the area just below the eyebrows (depending on the angle of impact) causing lacerations and leaving the victim with a decent amount of blood streaming down their face. I had it happen to me on at least three separate occasions in kick-around games or practice sessions and I still have the scars to prove it. All the sports glasses or goggles that I have seen, have soft, silicone-rubber type material in the relevant area to prevent this happening. Ordinary glasses do not.

Although these were not exactly life-threatening injuries, they did, as I have mentioned, cause a fair amount of bleeding. I would hate to have a kid (or an adult, for that matter) suffer the injuries that I did during a game I was in charge of, especially not if I could have prevented it by applying the Laws on not allowing a player to wear anything dangerous.

Last edited:
Surprised that anyone can really muster an argument against this area of Law, it’s pretty basic...

I've never allowed this and it's partly because I have first-hand knowledge of the damage that can be done. From my personal experience I'd say it's not necessarily the lenses that are the problem so much as the nose-piece. When you get a hard-struck ball slamming into your glasses, even if the lenses don't shatter (which mine never have) it drives the nose-piece into the bridge of your nose and/or the area just below the eyebrows (depending on the angle of impact) causing lacerations and leaving the victim with a decent amount of blood streaming down their face. I had it happen to me on at least three separate occasions in kick-around games or practice sessions and I still have the scars to prove it. All the sports glasses or goggles that I have seen, have soft, silicone-rubber type material in the relevant area to prevent this happening. Ordinary glasses do not.

Although these were not exactly life-threatening injuries, they did, as I have mentioned, cause a fair amount of bleeding. I would hate to have a kid (or an adult, for that matter) suffer the injuries that I did during a game I was in charge of, especially not if I could have prevented it by applying the Laws on not allowing a player to wear anything dangerous.
These were under

Thank you so much that has eased my mind considerably that I did the RIGHT action !
I can’t believe others on here have not solely agreed once again thank you for the common sense that you replied with

Back