A&H

Playing in strong winds

Darren83

Yesterday I had a local u16 game played on a 3g so no problems with the pitch however the venue is just off the coast and quite open so it was really windy.

I told both teams before kick off that when taking free kicks corners etc to stop the ball dead and if the wind moves the ball to take the kick the best they can. Happy days everyone agrees let's play.

Away have a free kick 25 yds out, and like most of the other kicks the wind Carrie's the ball forward say 2yds, player kicks it and it goes in. I awarded a goal given the conversation before KO. Naturally everyone is up in arms. Goal stands its 0-2 now to away. HT 1-3 I explain to coach why I awarded the goal, he understands and that is that.

What would you have done in this situation a, before the game, b, at the free kick ? My reasoning was we either adapt to the bad conditions or the game is called off. ⚽⚽

The Referee Store
Yesterday I had a local u16 game played on a 3g so no problems with the pitch however the venue is just off the coast and quite open so it was really windy.

I told both teams before kick off that when taking free kicks corners etc to stop the ball dead and if the wind moves the ball to take the kick the best they can. Happy days everyone agrees let's play.

Away have a free kick 25 yds out, and like most of the other kicks the wind Carrie's the ball forward say 2yds, player kicks it and it goes in. I awarded a goal given the conversation before KO. Naturally everyone is up in arms. Goal stands its 0-2 now to away. HT 1-3 I explain to coach why I awarded the goal, he understands and that is that.

What would you have done in this situation a, before the game, b, at the free kick ? My reasoning was we either adapt to the bad conditions or the game is called off. ⚽⚽
I would’ve done the same, at the level it sounds like it’s at, and say you don’t want any complaining as they both agreed.

otherwise suggest a player uses his foot to keep the ball still on dead balls but that’s probably worse.

For winds, I like to use the term, farce. Of course that can mean different things to different people. if am classing whats going on as farce, then the games up.
What you have decribed seems sensible, proactive, and ultimately giving the game evey chance.
Spectators, facility issues, roof for example aside, the wind is not generally a safety issue, more a, can we play without it becoming, or being, a farce.
Farce for me would be say gk punting and its blowing back into his arms, or worse.

Curious though, the method of allowing the moving ball ( btw am 100% in agreement and its what we did in my game yesterday), and, the scored freekick,
In the name of consistency, what should a pk been given, are we allowing the slightly moving ball? Afterall, a pen is merely a direct fk which happens to be 12 yards out.

I think I would try upmost to go extra mile to have the non moving ball at the attacking fk, if at all possible. Routine defensive, corners goal kicks, absolutely we are not concerned if its rolling, being honest, for right or wrong, am inclined to allow moving ball at goal kicks and defensive fk on occasion,not as standard but if things are going well and say its a short pass, no ground been made up, and, if it means the game keeps flowing, if its that kinda game, then so be it.

For winds, I like to use the term, farce. Of course that can mean different things to different people. if am classing whats going on as farce, then the games up.
What you have decribed seems sensible, proactive, and ultimately giving the game evey chance.
Spectators, facility issues, roof for example aside, the wind is not generally a safety issue, more a, can we play without it becoming, or being, a farce.
Farce for me would be say gk punting and its blowing back into his arms, or worse.

Curious though, the method of allowing the moving ball ( btw am 100% in agreement and its what we did in my game yesterday), and, the scored freekick,
In the name of consistency, what should a pk been given, are we allowing the slightly moving ball? Afterall, a pen is merely a direct fk which happens to be 12 yards out.

I think I would try upmost to go extra mile to have the non moving ball at the attacking fk, if at all possible. Routine defensive, corners goal kicks, absolutely we are not concerned if its rolling, being honest, for right or wrong, am inclined to allow moving ball at goal kicks and defensive fk on occasion,not as standard but if things are going well and say its a short pass, no ground been made up, and, if it means the game keeps flowing, if its that kinda game, then so be it.
There was a penalty for home kicking the same way in 2nd half. I told the keeper he is taking the kick regardless. Player took it and missed but the wind didnt interfere oddly.

Thanks for feedback always good to see what other refs would do 👍

Two yards? I would have tweeted and had them reset before the FK was taken. A wobble, sure, but in shooting range two yards is a big difference.

I think I would try upmost to go extra mile to have the non moving ball at the attacking fk, if at all possible. Routine defensive, corners goal kicks, absolutely we are not concerned if its rolling, being honest, for right or wrong, am inclined to allow moving ball at goal kicks and defensive fk on occasion,not as standard but if things are going well and say its a short pass, no ground been made up, and, if it means the game keeps flowing, if its that kinda game, then so be How about as rugby, penalty kick, player lies down with finger on top of the ball!
Holding the ball for penalty kick, then disallow for encroachment. LoL

Two yards? I would have tweeted and had them reset before the FK was taken. A wobble, sure, but in shooting range two yards is a big difference.

On the flip side, if you apply the same consideration to the other team, we are being fair, if not technically correct.

given the choice of the two yard moving ball, or no game, at pub keague, they are taking the game option everytime. We either allow the moving ball, or we dont. Disclaimer as ever, whilst not entering farce levels.

Last edited:
Holding the ball for penalty kick, then disallow for encroachment. LoL

the player holding the ball examples put the game into farce for me. Of course it might not mean that to the next referee.

Had a similar issue with my game this morning - adult Sunday league on a 3G pitch.

I gave them wobbles but any drastic movement (sideways or lengthways) I asked them to retake. Ended up self policing from the middle of the first half (if the ball rolled the keeper would go and grab it and give it a bit of shove in to the ground before trying again, rather than trying to kick a moving ball)

No issues from either side - and perhaps luckily didn’t have any impact with any free kicks in shooting range.

Had this in a game on 3g a couple of seasons ago. Asked both teams if they were happy to play (a few mins before kick off whilst they're all changed and ready to start so always going to get a "yes"). You always will on 3g from the home team as they will have to pay for the pitch regardless! I explained that if it roles then we will just play on unless its rolled excessively and I will be the judge of that. Everyone happy. There where moans during the game and even a goal which came from a slightly rolling ball (60 yards out though and the striker latched onto it and scored). But hey ho, the key thing is to have that conversation beforehand so everyone understands.

Sounds like you did everything spot on

Saturday I was at a ground that is windy at the best of times, right on the coast, at one of the highest points in the local area and the wind was really bad.

Conditions were very difficult, the wind was generally blowing from one goal to the other, on one occasion the GK kicked into the wind from a goal kick and it blew back to the edge of the 18 yard box.

Had one attacking freekick where just as the player was about to make contact with the ball, a gust of wind blew it forwards, quick whistle and a retake.

It was borderline farcical, however, the home team is right at the extreme end of league boundary and the away team had a 3.5 hour each way trip (including a 1 hour each way ferry crossing) so both teams had very much a 'lets get on with it' approach with no moaning about the conditions at all.

Back