A&H

Playing advantage following SFP

Trip

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
A striker shoots. While the ball is still in play the GK commits a foul on him which is SFP. The ball goes into the goal.

Can you play advantage, award the goal, and then dismiss the GK?

The Referee Store
A striker shoots. While the ball is still in play the GK commits a foul on him which is SFP. The ball goes into the goal.

Can you play advantage, award the goal, and then dismiss the GK?
Yes, and covered in the laws of the game. SFP, VC and SBO are the 3 situations that are covered.

Yes you absolutely can.

The LOTG say you shouldn't play it for SFP VC or SBO unless there is an immediate opportunity to score a goal. In this case there is.

Just to add as well if you do play advantage and a goal isnt scored if the player touches the ball again, or interferes with play, then play is stopped, player sent off a idfk to opposition from where the ball is touched/play interfered with.

Last edited:
I actually cover this in my pregame with neutral assistants. If they see a red card offense, flag it immediately (and call it over headsets if we are using comms like we often do in the US for high school and college games) unless the team that was “whacked” has a clear goal scoring opportunity. When asked, I’ll say that basically means a one on one with the keeper or an empty net. Otherwise, we want the offender removed as soon as possible so we don’t have any retaliation.

Back