A&H

Player wearing a hair-band

No way @deusex, not having that, the issue only ever occurs for me in youth games and they are always tight to the wrist and with no sharp edges. No more or less dangerous than a sweat band for example .. forcing those to be cut off would be a quick fire route to unnecessary alienation and driving a wedge between official and players. You are jobbsworth ref ;)
I'm a jobsworth referee, assessor and tutor. All wristbands come off. A player tried telling me hers had religious significance a few weeks ago. I asked her which religion, knowing some religions genuinely have articles like this and she couldn't tell me before blurting out a friend gave it to her and told her it was religious. That was right before the scissors came out...

The Referee Store
I'm a jobsworth referee, assessor and tutor. All wristbands come off. A player tried telling me hers had religious significance a few weeks ago. I asked her which religion, knowing some religions genuinely have articles like this and she couldn't tell me before blurting out a friend gave it to her and told her it was religious. That was right before the scissors came out...
Rest assured Brian, my 'jobsworth' comment was firmly tongue in cheek!

That said, for now, I have decided that in everyday youth football, I will continue to allow fabric wristbands that in my opinion are no threat to the safety of anyone in the pitch (that player included). I apologise in advance to all my erstwhile Refchat colleagues for being 'last week's ref' on this issue .. :oops:

Rest assured Brian, my 'jobsworth' comment was firmly tongue in cheek!

That said, for now, I have decided that in everyday youth football, I will continue to allow fabric wristbands that in my opinion are no threat to the safety of anyone in the pitch (that player included). I apologise in advance to all my erstwhile Refchat colleagues for being 'last week's ref' on this issue .. :oops:
@Russell Jones I spotted your smiley but some how my brain screened it out :)

Pre match laser tattoo removal one would hope. Those things are purely decorative surely!

Alas some of us referees might have certain decorative artwork on our arms that we regret and laser removal pre match would be VERY welcome! Sadly its just long sleeve shirts all year round for me!

Alas some of us referees might have certain decorative artwork on our arms that we regret and laser removal pre match would be VERY welcome! Sadly its just long sleeve shirts all year round for me!

How embarrassing are we talking Davey?

Ah its not too bad @HertsFinest not something that bothers me in day to day life, however its not something that would make the best first impression as a ref!

@Russell Jones ... no need for the name calling pal.... Just as we learn from each other on the fop, we should be doing so here too.

Some things are all about angles and opinions and some things are law which we should all abide and apply. When you reach the next level or 2, you may see things differently.

One of the biggest problems we face is referees not applying the law fully. Then when we referee that team, the players are on our backs with "the last ref we had didn't do that"....

When a player breaks a finger and reports to the that it was on a charity/friendship bracelet from the opposition...and reports that you failed to bother to carry out correct pre match procedures, as per LOTG, you will be required to stand and explain why.

Personally, Id be much happier knowing I had ensured a player remove it than I would be watching his team or his mother take him to AnE with a broken finger that I was responsible for!

Come on @DaveMac

When a mod (particular that scary bar steward @SM ) asks you for a pic you must oblige within 48 hours or face a ban. Or worse be forced to go and assess padfoot!

@MalB, I thought that the obvious smiley after my comment might soften the impact .. obviously not. Although in school playground parlance, fair to say that 'he started it' :).

The whole discussion is a bit weird because on the vast majority of occasions, I'm actually a real stickler for applying the Laws. To illustrate the point, in my most recent game, the first caution was for dissent from a player who gave me grief as a result of my insistence that he leave the FOP to remove the sock tape that I'd told him to get rid of in the pre match inspection!

For me though, the intent of the jewellry rule is to avoid any risk of injury. A fabric bracelet that is tight to the wrist is IMO no more or less dangerous than a sweat band .. as such I see it as 'trifling'. But I totally understand the POV of others and you may well be right that my views may change as my experience grows.

I'll sort one tomorrow, I'm not sitting here next to the missus taking a picture of my tat now as she'll think I'm a right sad act posting a picture of it online!

Every match that you ignore the law and allow players to wear jewellery.......... is another match that another referee gets grief from those same players that you allowed to wear it!.. :/

There are laws or parts of law that some of us disagree with. But our role isn't to agree..... its to apply those laws....

Every match that you ignore the law and allow players to wear jewellery.......... is another match that another referee gets grief from those same players that you allowed to wear it!.. :/

There are laws or parts of law that some of us disagree with. But our role isn't to agree..... its to apply those laws....

Unless of course it's a Goalkeeper picking the ball up after parrying it which according to your post on another thread (Top 3 ignored Laws I think) you wouldn't penalise unless 'extremely obvious' .. thus creating similar grief for the next ref to correctly penalise that offense. I think it's fair to say that we probably all have some Laws that we apply less fervently than others ...

LOL @Russell Jones

Totally incorrect. With regards to parrying the ball.... i merely stated that its a very difficult thing to gauge sometimes ie save or parry etc... and therefore it would need to be an obvious one to penalise....

Jewellery on the other hand is simple as black and white. The LOTG is clear on players equipment and the rules regarding jewellry. The minimum you will cause is problems for other referees...... on the other end of the scale, you might find yourself responsible for an injury.

If you allow this too happen.... where do you stand on footwear?!.... the book doesn't state boots must be worn ... so would you let someone wear flip flops?!...

On this subject I'm done.... i joined this forums to help and be helped.. not joust and fall out with fellow referees. Some peoplejust wont be helped....

Good luck to you and i hope you get what u want from your refereeing...

Mal, I joined the forum for exactly the same reason over two years ago and hopefully in that time I've helped a few others and I've definitely received some fabuolous advice in return. So far on this thread I've a) respected the views of others who disagree with my POV and b) accepted the possibility that my views may change in the future. You on the other hand (three days into your stay on the site) have been demeaning - "some people just won't be helped' and unhelpfully strident in your opinion. You're obviously an experienced official with a great deal to add on here .. and it's clear you have very strong views on this particular topic, which is fine. I happen to have extremely strong views on other things, like occasions where players deliberately delay free kicks by standing in front of the ball and where goalkeepers hold onto the ball for obviously more than 6 seconds. But I'm aware that others feel less strongly about them which makes my life harder when I enforce those offences more noticeably.

All I'd say is that (in a world where I'd guess that a very significant minority of refs aren't properly enforcing jewellry checks AT ALL) it seems pretty hard core to berate me for my opinion that a tight fabric bracelet is no danger to anyone and is therefore trifling

@Russell Jones you're right on the jewellery check. Most matches and most officials reserve jewellery checks for cup finals. Not seen one yet on a league or earlier cup game. Even with title deciders and 4 officials there...

1383485_10155420938815551_7670409203465107764_n_zpsdxje35ma.jpg~original

To be fair I've had it over ten years now so dont really notice it. However I am aware its probably not good as a first impression for a referee.

The old standard response was something along the lines of I'm Gods gift, just ask you mum/girlfriend/sister etc etc. Ah the good old days!

Back