A&H

Player wearing a hair-band

HoofItYouDonkey

RefChat Addict
Level 6 Referee
Last Sunday.
Only one of those pencil-thin ones.
Should have had it removed shouldn't I, dangerous if someone had grabbed it while he was running, could have ended up round his neck.
Smacked wrist...

The Referee Store
Plastic or fabric? Former I'd agree, needs to come off, latter I'd be ok with (as I am 'friendship' bands on wrists made entirely of fabric)

Gents, sorry, but hairbands are allowed (if they are doing the purpose of holding back hair!). All you have to do is watch a high level womans game - they are all wearing them!

Reactions: SM
I used to wear one back in the day. Had a crazy under cut, long on top, all tied up in a samurai style top knot. Must have looked nuts. :)

given that they often won't come off without being cut off, it is a good job that fabric friendship bracelets aren't generally considered jewellry :). Though I have made myself particularly unpopular by getting a couple removed because they had metal on them ....

On what planet are fabric BRACELETS not jewellery?
Even if they weren't, they are easily strong enough to break a finger that gets caught in them and serve no practical purpose (like headbands) so they come off.
You are last week's ref.

Last edited:
No way @deusex, not having that, the issue only ever occurs for me in youth games and they are always tight to the wrist and with no sharp edges. No more or less dangerous than a sweat band for example .. forcing those to be cut off would be a quick fire route to unnecessary alienation and driving a wedge between official and players. You are jobbsworth ref ;)

No way @deusex, not having that, the issue only ever occurs for me in youth games and they are always tight to the wrist and with no sharp edges. No more or less dangerous than a sweat band for example .. forcing those to be cut off would be a quick fire route to unnecessary alienation and driving a wedge between official and players. You are jobbsworth ref ;)

I'm 'last weeks referee' and i would definately make a player take a bracelet off...

bracelets, leather bands, rubber bands etc not permitted according to law 4 fifa guidance notes. I would therefore deem anything other than sweat bands on wrists to be a no-no.

Fabric friendships bracelets are decorative, thus jewellery. If we allow it because it's 'non-dangerous' jewellery, then we should start allowing a bunch of other things. Thin necklaces etc.

A smart player (HA!) would just conceal it under a sweatband.

I can't think of anything other than a sweat band or tape that I would allow a player to keep on in regard to the the above.

One I come across from time to time in ladies football is a soft hairband around the wrist. It either goes in your hair or it comes off.

No worries ref, I'll be putting it in before kick off.

And they always do. :)

@Russell Jones you big softy!

I'm with you though, if its fabric its the same as a sweatband to me. Why should they be allowed but not other fabric rings around wrists. Its the same thing

Herts refs sticking together :). In all honesty, been surprised by the strength of feeling from others on this one but certainly given me pause for thought. The approach of saying that anything which is purely decorative is jewellry is a tempting one ... I will ponder ;)

Herts refs sticking together :). In all honesty, been surprised by the strength of feeling from others on this one but certainly given me pause for thought. The approach of saying that anything which is purely decorative is jewellry is a tempting one ... I will ponder ;)

Pre match laser tattoo removal one would hope. Those things are purely decorative surely!

Back