A&H

Player shouting at crowd

I get that and of course in a perfect society no form of discrimination should be tolerated but if your giving a red and am not, surely only one of us can be correct?

Am not saying its me who is, but because I would not be offended by the same shout as you might be, we cant follow the lotg consistently

The Referee Store
I actually think it's perfectly coherent with the LOTG @Ciley Myrus - offense by its very nature is subjective, and players should have an appreciation and understanding of this. What is not acceptable for one referee may very well be acceptable for another, but why run the risk of getting dismissed? The only person who is to blame is the player themselves IMO and this is perfectly consistent with what the LOTG says.

So that takes me back to us having a check list of what is and what is not allowed
I am not going to dismiss because what a player said might cause offence to a referee elsewhere.
There cant be any of us who have not heard the " are you blind ref"?
And anyone who says they have red carded everytime they have heard that is pretending

No no, I completely agree - there's no need for a checklist as it were. It's up to individuals. Players need to be intelligent enough to have an appreciation for this. If you find that offensive, feel free to dismiss them. Likewise, if you don't, then don't dismiss. But a player can have no arguments if you do

OFINABUS is subjective and each offence should be taken on its on merits. I did a game the other week and one of the teams were made up of students from USA. One of the said players went through and went down fairly easily, his opponent said you diving ba$$tard. Now i, like many pretty much ignored it, the players from the US were absolutely incensed and were wanting the player sent off and it caused a fair bit of handbags between the two sets of players. All i can think is that, that word to an American student is much more offensive than it would be to you and me. I managed to calm the situation and keep 22 players on the pitch. I was approached again at the end of the game and the players were still asking me why he wasnt sent off!

Presuming this particular scenario took place during an open age match?

Obviously when these sort of incidents occur at youth level, opens up a whole different can of worms regarding safeguarding etc. I have reported sides for unacceptable comments made by parents to opposition players in the past and the older players get the more likely they are to answer back, which can inflame the situation, as I have seen on a number of occasions!

There is a difference, a very big difference between different referees finding different words/gestures offensive... and different referees being ignorant or selectively ignoring discrimminatory language or gestures.

(And I'm not taking a swing at Ciley here)

Different cultures/languages do make this hard. I regularly referee games where there might be two or even three main languages between the teams. There is no way I can judge offinabus in russian, kurdish or swedish!

On topic: thicko=YC (you are stupid)... joey/spaz/tard=RC. These are obviously discrimminatory and the guidance is clear. Zero tolerance. RC.

I dont mean to sound arguementitive

A common shout in the country and leagues I am involved in, from player to player, is, along lines of, ( after player seems to have been fouled)..,,,"get up ya wee p@@@"

On paper, no doubts, red. In reality, from our elite refs to our sunday league veterans, its no sanction.

A common shout in the country and leagues I am involved in, from player to player, is, along lines of, ( after player seems to have been fouled)..,,,"get up ya wee p@@@"

On paper, no doubts, red. In reality, from our elite refs to our sunday league veterans, its no sanction.
(Forgive me, i write for a living, love/live etymology and Holy Sh*t is one of my favourite books)

If you mean "wee p r a t"... these are not discrimminatory. "Wee" is a term of endearment and "p r a t" is of unknown origin, not discrimminatory and is easily synonimised by daft or thick. Could be a YC but if this is a familiar and non insulting phrase where you are then no card is fine IMHO.

No thats not what I mean, Replacement word for a male who finds solace within another male.
I want to laugh because I can't work out the word!

That is a problem, the phrase I mean... if it's homophobic it's clearly a RC offence. However, if yesterday's ref(s) have not been dealing with this for years - remember Fifa/Uefa are clear - a warning makes sense at first. But it is - unfortunately, as hard as it is, as unpopular as you will be - it is our job to stamp it out.

(And loss of match control is no way to justify not taking action)

Imho of course;)

Anyone says that while I'm reffing and they're walking. Not having that at all tbh

A red card for OFFINABUS, then restart with a DFK to the team of the player you just sent off.
IFK.

IFK.

IFK.

No DFKs for verbal stuff like offensive/abusive language, gestures, etc, or dissent. (pg 98 of 17-18 LotG)

Edit: Apparently I can't read. DFK for the careless tackle that led to the OFFINABUS.

Good decision @Ganajin :)

Last edited:
And this is why we cant, or should not have a predetermined list of offensive slurs

One ref saying he would dismiss anyone making reference to deafness

I might miss something being said and also have the same comment made to me. I cant then decide to dismiss incase he has just offended someone who somewhere in Bristol might have hearing difficulties!

Everything in context....

Yes agree - this sounds like a red as I write it, but in wasn't, just good natured banter........

Attacker/defender meet a cross together - we have all seen loads of these. I went with GK

'Are you mad?' said an incredulous attacker. 'I may be blind', I replied, 'But I'm not mad!':p

No further action required.

According to the FA, any discriminatory language which is directed at any of the 'protected characteristics' in the 2010 equality act is not only a red card but also a double length ban (for a first offence).

Disability is one of the protected characteristics covered by the act. The term 'retard' is therefore presumably equivalent to 'poof' or 'n****r' as far as the FA are concerned.

I wish the CFAs would do a better job of getting this information out to leagues and referees.

Edit: put in my own asterisks to make it clear which pejorative term I mean

Eh, does it have to trump any term. Just banish the discriminatory language full stop.

No, the previous version gave a ballon drawing of what was sort of acceptable and what most certainly was not.... One mans industrial language is another ones everyday language.... Surely we are not the moral police, refs, especially new refs need proper guidance!!Bad-Language.png

Back