A&H

Player Name

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the honest replies so far......

Would you all consider it to be disrespectful? I think it certainly is, unless clearly said as a joke........but even i would struggle with a red
It is another thing which comes down to interpretation. If you look at it in black and white, it is disrespectful and therefore should be a red card. However, football isn't black and white. As @zarathustra said, it depends on a lot of variables - the feel of the game, how the player has acted previously, how loud he said it etc, etc etc... For me I would be cautioning the player because whilst it is disrespectful, a player saying 'that was a shocking decision ref' is disrespectful. For me though, the thing that is different is the word "you're". I think a red card would still be harsh but I could understand the decision. It is a tough one. Would you send him off @Padfoot ?:redcard:

The Referee Store
"You're rubbish ref, runined the game..."

going back a few weeks, our RA meeting had a big 'consistency' theme.
I'm sure if we'd have discussed a phrase of this nature in particular, occurring twice in one game, te upshot would be that you could have 2 different sanctions for each occasion and still remain consistent within the laws and spirit of the game

My general point is that while it's easy to post on an internet message board that abusive language is a red card every time regardless of all else, these decisions aren't made in a vacuum and as the referee you have to judge them within the context of the game, including what affect your decisions will have on your ability to control the rest of the match.

Right, do your worst.....

This is a very slippery slope. Tailoring your decisions to suit "match control" may seem OK when discussing subjective areas such as offensiveness of a player's comment, but where does this eventually lead?: Last ten minutes of a tight game - a penalty appeal; referee feels it probably was a penalty but it's a 50-50 call. Is it therefore acceptable to turn it down because it would lead to match control issues? After all, a possibly offensive comment and a possible penalty, both are judgement calls....so where is there a difference? But what if it was 60 - 40 in favour of the penalty, or 70 - 30? Where does this slope end? Simply put, IMHO, fudging decisions under the cloak of "match control" is cowardice, pure and simple.

Player gives me grief like that..... Yellow
Player includes a swear word...... Red
Player says "You're rubbish ref, your decisions haven't helped us and you ruined the game" - what colour? Player hasn't sworn, his tone of voice is calm but audible.

Player says "You're rubbish ref, your decisions haven't helped us and you ruined the game" - what colour? Player hasn't sworn, his tone of voice is calm but audible.
It maybe calm but audible, but it is still dissent thus YC , maybe later in the game he might get a bit braver knowing he got away with that one (if i didn't YC)...

It maybe calm but audible, but it is still dissent thus YC , maybe later in the game he might get a bit braver knowing he got away with that one (if i didn't YC)...
Has the player not implied bias? Is the player calling you a cheat?

Has the player not implied bias? Is the player calling you a cheat?
Oh my word Columbo you want your monies worth don't you........ he's giving me dissent and i'm giving him a yellow.... sorted ! nip it in the bud he won't do it again later when he's not happy with another one of my descisions

Player gives me grief like that..... Yellow
Player includes a swear word...... Red
Oh my word Columbo you want your monies worth don't you........ he's giving me dissent and i'm giving him a yellow.... sorted ! nip it in the bud he won't do it again later when he's not happy with another one of my descisions
But if he included a swear word it would be red? "you've ruined the bloody game" = red card?

No one wants to answer?

Come on.......be brave......who would dismiss for it? Who would caution for it? Who would simply have a word?

Contrary to popular belief....not looking to argue with anyone over this.....genuinely interested to see what people's reactions would be given the Law and guidance as previously posted in this thread?

Didn't realise this was open to everyone, here goes.....
In isolation, we may be having a chat, taken with other actions, it may be a yellow for dissent.

But if he included a swear word it would be red? "you've ruined the bloody game" = red card?
For me it is more like one player is politely and calming saying you are bias in your decisions against them and the other is more vocal and stating you're a cheat. The impression I get is that the former gets a yellow and the latter gets a red although essentially, it is the same sentiment - you're a cheat but if I'm polite that's makes it better for me.

"You're feckin rubbish ref, you ruined the game"...Bad words from a player, but what if the assessor says it.......:(:)
You have lost the plot in this conversation, we are talking about a player in a match whom falls within the Laws of the Game. I wouldn't expect an assessor to talk to me like that, and i would have polite words of a different nature for him/her too.

What is the point in breaking down this conversation into different scenarios? is it till i am proven wrong? or you are proven right? come on referees start acting like referees and not like a pundit from Match of the Day.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back