A&H

Player fails to give his name

callumb

Hi please can you give me some advice ,what would happen if a player fails to give his name when you are about to give him a yellow card ,is it yellow for the foul and another yellow then red for not giving his name and report him to his county .
Cheers

The Referee Store
A player failing to give his name is dissent by action. Ask his name, tell him what the consequences are if he doesn't give his name, last chance, 3 card trick time (yellow, yellow then red).

Off he goes, report the sending off as normal (2 cautions) plus a report that the player failed to supply his name.

I have involved the captain here in the past when this has happened to get the name. I wouldn't bother now as both times it has happened the idiot in question has quickly done something else stupid, caused a lot of extra bother and been sent off. If a player is playing this type of game and fails to heed the warning I would be more likely to just walk him.

Thank you so much that really helps,only this happened to my fellow referee last week at a u13 cup match .even the manager refused to give the players name.
He just give him a yellow at the time and said he will be reported ,I will pass this on to him and thanks, now I will know what course of action to take cheers

I sent a lad off the other week for calling the CAR a cheat. I call him over and tell him he's walking for that and produced the red card as could tell he was going to start saying more and make things worse for himself. I ask for his name three times, in his defence, I think he was shocked to get the red card therefore didnt respond. The coaches are going mad so walked him off the pitch and also wanted to have a quick word with the manager just to let him know what he said to get the red. So tell the manager what he said, and at the end also add can I have the lads name as he wont give it. The manager says "yeah its Joe Bloggs (he gave the real name), my son." My heart sank, and needless to say for the rest of the match he wasnt happy with any decision I made!

I got a combination of all three on Sunday! Booked the manager's son, the captain, who refused to give his name. Thanks to another player being sensible and giving him a bit of a dressing down, he just about stayed on the pitch... :eek:

Thanks dave since refereeing over a year now I haven't had any problems with names but glad I know what course of action to take , I can see it happening a lot in open age games , I really enjoy reading and learning how to tackle different situations on the pitch from all the experienced referees on this site thank you. Thanks mike

It is a rarity for this sort of thing to happen in OA games in fairness - most player have enough sense not to push their luck and get sent off unnecessarily - plus there is the extra misconduct report that they have to deal with.

What @Supermonkey said. I've only had that one incident of not getting a name, and even then I could have handled it slightly better (maybe if I'd explained the reason for the card before whipping the red out he might have understood. But heat of the moment I made the judgement as didnt think he would ever agree with me). I'm often surprised when asking for name the number of players that will spell out their name for you!

I have, a couple of times, when giving a player a final warning asked for their name and when they start moaning say I'm not putting them in the book now just taking it down as it'll save time next time when I actually get the yellow out! The couple of times I've done that its worked well to win the player round and not had a peep from them for the rest of the game.

Thank you so much that really helps,only this happened to my fellow referee last week at a u13 cup match .even the manager refused to give the players name.
He just give him a yellow at the time and said he will be reported ,I will pass this on to him and thanks, now I will know what course of action to take cheers
If this happened in an u13s game I would probably give him a kick in the arse on the way off !!!!

Despise mouthy kids ....Card Fest !!!

that's why I don't ref them :)

As much as I like that, dave, I'd never do it :)

Like I say it only works in certain situations.

A friend of mine has before told a player to choose a pocket left or right, one is red one is yellow, even though he has yellows in both when booking players. He said that's worked for him. I personally don't think it's a good idea, but he's a level 5 and doing really well so can't knock it too much. I suppose it's a chance to say it's their lucky day and they aren't getting sent off!

Reactions: ELP
Lol that is pretty funny though

I think in the right situation it could work. I'm not sure I could ever pull it off, but in his defence his man management is amazing sometimes. He can, in my opinion, be a bit lenient and let games get a but heated. But he seems to have this amazing ability to pick up the one or two players to have a quick word that brings the game totally under control again. Jammy swine!

A friend of mine has before told a player to choose a pocket left or right, one is red one is yellow, even though he has yellows in both when booking players. He said that's worked for him. I personally don't think it's a good idea, but he's a level 5 and doing really well so can't knock it too much. I suppose it's a chance to say it's their lucky day and they aren't getting sent off!

I was told a similar story of a ref that does this one my basic course! Looks like a popular technique although I wouldn't personally use it.

Like I say it only works in certain situations.

I've used it once and it worked a treat. Player was getting on my nerves to a massive extent. Nothing to warrant a card, but just one of 'those' players. He made a reckless tackle, clear YC. So, I asked him if he was feeling lucky. Then told him to pick right or left. If he's lucky, it'll be a caution. If he's not, he'll have an early shower.
He refused to pick so I forced him to (said I'm not restarting the game till he's done it). Cautioned him, told him it's clearly his lucky day but if he breathes out of line again, he's gone. Didn't hear another word out of him, it was bliss!

He did ask me in the bar post-match what would have happened if he'd picked the other pocket, so I was honest with him and told him I had yellow both sides!

Had a player at U15s who I walked for F&A language give his name as Jimmy Saville. He didn't realize the consequences of me putting through Jimmy Saville as being sent off, thankfully the manager did and gave me the correct name.

@ELP Jimmy Saville? A rather odd choice of name to go with.

I thought the same given the nature of the things Jimmy Saville is known for. Kind of sank my heart when I overheard parents of the boys team ask him what he got sent off for, he replied "telling the ref my name was jimmy saville" and the parents started laughing...

Of course I didn't send him off for giving that name, but hey... kids.

Regardless of what the manager said, I would have put through the name he gave with the report noting his manager attempting to provide a different name. Well done smarty pants, your team just played an unregistered player.

Back