A&H

Pitches

RefJef

RefChat Addict
Rather worryingly, on my way home this evening I passed a pet shop. I glanced in to see an elderly bloke with a long beard buying two of each animal ...

Since I blew for full time on Saturday afternoon, I don't think it's stopped raining down here, and it got me thinking about pitch inspections and match cancellations.

I operate on the lowest rung of my local OA league, and U16s league on Sunday's. I know I ultimately have responsibility for whether or not a game goes ahead, but what is the protocol for calling games off?

I don't want to travel 30mins to a game to do a pitch inspection and call it off (if flooded, frozen etc.) - can the home team be expected to make that decision in advance of the game? How do they the communicate this to everyone?

If I do turn up & declare the pitch unplayable, do I still get my match fee? (If I'm honest, I'd rather do a game & not get paid - I enjoy it - than turn up, say the pitch isn't playable and get paid - a waste of my time)

And what constitutes unplayable? I grew up in the '70s, by mid winter there was often not a blade of grass to be seen on a pitch...

Thanks in advance

Jeff

The Referee Store
The leagues I work on will pay travel expenses for games postponed before kick off and half fees for abandoned games.

I too played on mud pitches and frozen wastelands over the winter, never had a game called off though.

I've had a number of games called off both on the morning of the match and sometimes even the night before. Generally, I've got a call through and been told that the groundsman has made a decision that the pitch is unplayable - and that's that.

I've only once considered calling a match off personally, and that would have been due to standing water causing the ball to slow down on the surface and players contorting themselves to react. Saw it happen twice, resolved to call the match off if I saw it a third time and managed to get to the end without another sudden ball stop.

I got this sent to my a few weeks ago from my RDO. I did come in a PowerPoint format but it wouldn't let me upload up for some reason :confused:

Step 1
DO YOUR HOMEWORK

Have a look at the forecast and anticipated conditions the day before your game. There are regular updates on the media and there are plenty of websites on the internet that will give you accurate information

Step 2
BE PROACTIVE – MAKE CONTACT

It will normally be the responsibility of the home club to confirm the fixture with the referee, but don’t be afraid to make initial contact if the weather is already looking uncertain and ask them what their plans are in terms of ground inspections or what the current condition of the field of play is like.

Do they use a local referee to complete their inspections to avoid unnecessary travel for you, your colleagues and the away team? Remember, as the referee you are the leader and sometimes it will be you that has to take the initiative. If you are required to complete the inspection, ask the home club what time somebody will be at the ground to meet you.

Step 3
GET TO THE GROUND EARLY

Be prepared to inspect the field in appropriate clothing. By being prepared it will allow you to complete your inspection more realistically, so pack your boots, a tracksuit and a match day coat.

Make sure where possible you get to the ground before the players and managers get there – the fewer the people present when you make your initial assessment the easier your situation becomes.

Step 4
THINK BALL

Before you walk out onto the field of play, remember to take one out with you. Consider how you as a referee can sell to the people watching that a ball will not roll, it won’t bounce and it simply sticks in the puddles and the mud if you did not have a ball. The ball is an invaluable tool for you to have and quite often by using the ball effectively it will publicise the judgment of whether or not the game can be played even before you do.

Step 5
EVERY BLADE OF GRASS

Don’t just consider the main activity areas (centre-circle and penalty areas). The fact is, the game will potentially be played on every single blade of grass and it’s therefore important to survey the entire playing surface before deciding.

Don’t forget to ensure that it is not just the areas that the 22 players will also operate – remember to ensure that the perimeter lines are also fi t for assistant referees to operate on throughout the 90 minutes. Their safety is paramount.

Step 6
NOT JUST THE FIELD OF PLAY

Some of the games that you will referee will take place within stadia where there is terracing, a covered standing area or maybe some form of seating. In conjunction with the club you may have to check that these areas are fit and safe for spectators to watch the game.

In addition, especially as you go further up the refereeing pyramid you will also have to consider travel for those involved - what are the access roads like? What are the conditions like that they will face when they try to return home? All of these areas are equally important.

Step 7
WHAT ABOUT THE TEMPERATURE?

In freezing cold conditions remember that the temperature will often begin to drop after midday. It’s important to understand this specifically when you are completing inspections before 12pm – what might seem playable now may be a very different story at 3pm.

Remember the weather forecast, its conditions and anticipated temperatures. Even more important, you need to try to work out what the conditions will be like at the end of the match – if it is ‘touch and go’ with low temperatures at 3pm then for sure the pitch will be unfit by 4.45pm. Too many referees focus only on the conditions at kick off - think 90 minutes ahead.

Step 8
DO IT ON YOUR OWN OR WITH YOUR TEAM

You will need an open and clear mind when you are undertaking a pitch inspection. When you arrive people will undoubtedly give you their input and opinion and on occasions this can be really helpful so don’t dismiss that – after all, there is nobody that knows their pitch like the groundsman so don’t be afraid to absorb their early thoughts.

After this, politely ask that you be given some time alone or with your team so that you can survey the field of play for yourself. You will be amazed how professional you will look to people when they are trying to form an opinion of you.

Step 9
THINK SAFETY, NOT FARCE

The most important factor you need to consider above all when making your final decision is - ‘Am I satisfied that this field of play and the surrounding areas pose no risk or place no player in danger?’ If you have any doubt then the game must be postponed. Secondly, consider - ‘if I decide to play this game then whilst it may pose no risk to me or the players, will it develop into a farce?’

Even if people are not paying to watch, the game if the conditions are such that the players cannot show their skills because of the state of the field then it looks farcical and you could lack credibility if you continue.

In the top league in my area, only trained officials can make a decision on the pitch. It is different in the amateur leagues and the lower leagues but you either have to find a ref in the area or go do it yourself. So unless it states in the competition rules make sure the home manager is their early for a pitch inspection.

I got this sent to my a few weeks ago from my RDO. I did come in a PowerPoint format but it wouldn't let me upload up for some reason :confused:

Step 1
DO YOUR HOMEWORK

Have a look at the forecast and anticipated conditions the day before your game. There are regular updates on the media and there are plenty of websites on the internet that will give you accurate information

Step 2
BE PROACTIVE – MAKE CONTACT

It will normally be the responsibility of the home club to confirm the fixture with the referee, but don’t be afraid to make initial contact if the weather is already looking uncertain and ask them what their plans are in terms of ground inspections or what the current condition of the field of play is like.

Do they use a local referee to complete their inspections to avoid unnecessary travel for you, your colleagues and the away team? Remember, as the referee you are the leader and sometimes it will be you that has to take the initiative. If you are required to complete the inspection, ask the home club what time somebody will be at the ground to meet you.

Step 3
GET TO THE GROUND EARLY

Be prepared to inspect the field in appropriate clothing. By being prepared it will allow you to complete your inspection more realistically, so pack your boots, a tracksuit and a match day coat.

Make sure where possible you get to the ground before the players and managers get there – the fewer the people present when you make your initial assessment the easier your situation becomes.

Step 4
THINK BALL

Before you walk out onto the field of play, remember to take one out with you. Consider how you as a referee can sell to the people watching that a ball will not roll, it won’t bounce and it simply sticks in the puddles and the mud if you did not have a ball. The ball is an invaluable tool for you to have and quite often by using the ball effectively it will publicise the judgment of whether or not the game can be played even before you do. etc etc
QUOTE]

Excellent Advice!

Over here the councils have the right to call the pitch off and can do so three to four days prior to kick off depending on conditions. Clubs can ask for inspections on the morning of the match and usually a standard fee of £5 paid but tis has to happen at least two hours prior to kick off. If you turn up and call the pitch then it's expenses plus half fee. You get to know your local pitches and also refs who live close by, build up a relationship with them and if you are due to travel 30 miles ask them to give it a quick once over.

My main rules for both frozen and flooded are if it takes a stud and the ball bounces and rolls freely. To test frozen take a key and push into ground if it goes in more than say an inch then the ground should be ok (be carefully don't force the key or snap it) put your boots on and run the pitch if you have grip then try a few sharp turns and see if it takes your weight. If there is surface water get a ball and kick it round the pitch and see f and where it stops. for flooded goalmouths get them swept out. Don't be influenced by the home or away team they won't be the ones in court explaining why they played the game if the pitch isn't playable!

Local council usually calls games off the day before in the Sunday/Youth leagues around here; only once have I turned up to a game and had it called off whilst getting changed, I was a player at the time and the referee deemed the pitch 50/50 but it was still raining heavily so called it off.

In higher level games I have been called out to inspect a local pitch with another colleague to prevent a referee making a 100 mile round trip for a game he wouldn't be officiating in on a Boxing Day.

Using a key these days on a potentially frozen pitch is deemed bad practice. A key is a thin and fairly sharp implement and is a lot different to a stud. Players don't have keys on the bottom of their boots, they have studs, so the only valid test is to put boots on and see if they break the ground.

One piece of good advice is to inspect the pitch wearing the type of footwear you (or players) will wear during the match. Last winter I had a fixture where there was the potential of a frozen pitch. I inspected the pitch wearing trainers and it was fine - no indication of frost. When I went out for the kick off, wearing studs, I became aware that there was a sizeable area in one corner where the surface was questionable. Ultimately decided it was okay and played the game without incident but it was a lesson learned.

Just a point here. Any inspection we make can only ever identify the blindingly obvious. Goal post and corner flag defects are the key things to consider the playing surface less so.

In answer to the OP, there are many variables.

If the pitch is privately owned, often whoever owns it will make the initial call.

If it's blindingly obvious somebody will decide pretty early. It's the others that are down to you...

I would say have a good look everywhere (not just the obvious places), and remember your decision is based purely on player (and your own) safety and nothing else. Don't let anybody pressure you into a decision either way, it's down to you and you alone.

That stands too if somebody else has passed it fit already or it's a multi pitch venue and other games are being played. It's all about your game and your decision.

Try and put out of your mind the temptation to predict how a pitch may cut up: you can't. On that note too if that is a serious consideration it is a good indication that perhaps you shouldn't be playing it.

Final thought is be firm. Nobody wants to get to a venue and not play the game, but safety is paramount. You decide it's a no and both managers disagree? Tough. Who they going to blame if you changed your mind and somebody gets a serious injury, or the conditions cost one team the game?

'Sorry chaps, I'm disappointed too. But safety is my only concern and it's just to risky for me. Besides, would you want to have a decent game with a hard fought game or a farce of a game where the conditions cost you points?'

Thought not.

Using a key these days on a potentially frozen pitch is deemed bad practice. A key is a thin and fairly sharp implement and is a lot different to a stud. Players don't have keys on the bottom of their boots, they have studs, so the only valid test is to put boots on and see if they break the ground.
Irish Premiership match Ballinamallard v Portadown postponed on Saturday due to frozen pitch decision made using a key! Better tell the boys at the top

Irish Premiership match Ballinamallard v Portadown postponed on Saturday due to frozen pitch decision made using a key! Better tell the boys at the top

What does using a key prove though? You probably wouldn't get a key into a baked hard pitch in Summer, and least not without a lot of effort, doesn't mean you are calling the game off though. Put your boots on and have a run - if you as the referee are sliding around then the players have no chance.

What does using a key prove though? You probably wouldn't get a key into a baked hard pitch in Summer, and least not without a lot of effort, doesn't mean you are calling the game off though. Put your boots on and have a run - if you as the referee are sliding around then the players have no chance.
What does a stud prove? A key goes into the ground two/three inches it tells you how deep the frost/freeze is to a depth that isn't just below surface. Given drop in temperatures a pitch at 1.30 with sunshine maybe playable with a stud inspection but with a key it will tell you that just below the surface is still frozen and when the sun disappears about 2.30 and it gets colder that the pitch will more than likely be frozen over! You have your method I have mine, I have only ever called a pitch off once for being frozen and trust me the key wouldn't enter the ground, could I run on it in my trainers absolutely not a problem, could I turn absolutely would I tempt fate by allowing the match to go ahead not a chance! And before you say it LOTG state footwear not boots/studs so teams could argue they want to play in trainers!

Back