A&H

photos

If you are indirectly referring to the Yellow 7's socks. It's a generally accepted practice in all of the leagues that I operate on that the white undersocks are fine so long as they are at around or below ankle bone level.
I was, and to be clear I wasn't asking that you should have done something about it. It would be pedantic if it is accepted practice. But if not you don't want to be last week's ref.
However if I was to pick on him, I would pick more on the blue tape than the two piece socks.

The Referee Store
I was fortunate enough to be appointed to a County League Cup final (2nd Cup Final Middle!!) on Wednesday night
I'm the ugly one on the left. Looks like HB to me!

1631267925465.png

Although we can't see them, the game was well attended. I'm guessing >200 bevied up noisy lot in the stand behind the camera
Good to get experience with a reasonable level of intimidation, NARs and two teams extremely desperate to win
Hum dinger of a game with the team in green scoring direct from the KO to claw the score back to 2-3 down before going on to win 4-3
Best goal I've seen as a Referee, given the occasion and how brilliantly executed it was
I was pleased with my game overall. Would've liked some neutral feedback because there was an awful lot went on in the game
One PK, One Red, 6 Yellows etc.... lots of technical stuff

Last edited:
I was fortunate enough to be appointed to a County League Cup final (2nd Cup Final Middle!!) on Wednesday night

View attachment 5152
Is this the new format of a game with two referees and one AR? 😅

Edit. I just noticed a flag on the ground. Unusual I terms of who is standing where and AR dropping the flag for a photo.

Edit. I just noticed a flag on the ground. Unusual I terms of who is standing where and AR dropping the flag for a photo.
It was a bit strange. This is how the League Committee wanted us lined up
All to do with introductions to the elderly wife (out of picture) of the fella whom the trophy was named after

Reactions: one

Also hope the young chap with no shinnies on is a mascot and not a player 😂

I was, and to be clear I wasn't asking that you should have done something about it. It would be pedantic if it is accepted practice. But if not you don't want to be last week's ref.
However if I was to pick on him, I would pick more on the blue tape than the two piece socks.

Difficult to tell from the photo, but the socks might be dark blue as opposed to black, in which case blue tape is fine. If they are black then that is a big risk as some observers would take delight in nailing you to the wall for that.

Difficult to tell from the photo, but the socks might be dark blue as opposed to black, in which case blue tape is fine. If they are black then that is a big risk as some observers would take delight in nailing you to the wall for that.
Was going to say this - if I were the ref and the observer asked me, it's blue tape on blue socks 🤷‍♂️😊

Wow. That would be petty even by stereotypical observer standards!

It's standard when one or more dignitaries are to be introduced - referee introduces their assistants, captains introduce team-mates.

Reactions: one
Wow. That would be petty even by stereotypical observer standards!

Several of the competencies relate to applying the laws of the game. LOTG requires that sock tape is the same colour as the socks. I'm sorry, but anyone being observed and not enforcing that must have rocks for brains as you risk losing marks before a ball is even kicked. Certainly at 5 to 4 and above anyway.

Several of the competencies relate to applying the laws of the game. LOTG requires that sock tape is the same colour as the socks. I'm sorry, but anyone being observed and not enforcing that must have rocks for brains as you risk losing marks before a ball is even kicked. Certainly at 5 to 4 and above anyway.
I'm fully aware of the law. You think this is a key test to help observers sort good referees from bad?

Not sure in England but here this was the case untill a few years ago. It has pretty much died down now. Most observers would be 'told off' if something like this is part of their report. The guideline is to mention it in your debrief and don't make a fuss about it.

Also if enforced, for me the rule should not be about what name is used for the colours but how close the look visually. For example dark blue tape is a lot more acceptable on black (different colours) than it is on light blue socks (vastly different shades of the same colour).

Last edited:
Not sure in England but here this was the case untill a few years ago. It has pretty much died down now. Most observers would be 'told off' if something like this is part of their report. The guideline is to mention it in your debrief and don't make a fuss about it.
It should only make its way into the report if it caused/potentially caused a problem in my opinion.

Eg red player wearing white undershirt against team playing in white

I'm fully aware of the law. You think this is a key test to help observers sort good referees from bad?

Not really, but the key skill for a referee at any level is applying law correctly. If the referee has ignored a mandatory law before a ball has even been kicked there are going to be doubts forming. Not saying I would be pulling them up for it necessarily, but there are plenty who will, and as a referee you are taking a massive risk if you don't deal with it at that level.

Not really, but the key skill for a referee at any level is applying law correctly. If the referee has ignored a mandatory law before a ball has even been kicked there are going to be doubts forming. Not saying I would be pulling them up for it necessarily, but there are plenty who will, and as a referee you are taking a massive risk if you don't deal with it at that level.
Hands up on me. During the game I didn't notice. I'd left it to my two AR's to do a kit check on the way out and didn't even see it! One caveat is that I do suffer from colour blindness and blue on black is something I struggle to distinguish (we've got a display in our kitchen that is exactly this and I can't read the time on it for love nor money).

Clearly a learning opportunity though and one I'll double check in future, especially if being observed!

View attachment 5152

Although we can't see them, the game was well attended. I'm guessing >200 bevied up noisy lot in the stand behind the camera
Good to get experience with a reasonable level of intimidation, NARs and two teams extremely desperate to win
Hum dinger of a game with the team in green scoring direct from the KO to claw the score back to 2-3 down before going on to win 4-3
Best goal I've seen as a Referee, given the occasion and how brilliantly executed it was
I was pleased with my game overall. Would've liked some neutral feedback because there was an awful lot went on in the game
One PK, One Red, 6 Yellows etc.... lots of technical stuff

Your head looks like it's been photoshopped on!! :wtf: :D

Back