A&H

PGMOL Match Replication Session

TommmC

Hi, was sent this to do so i could remain fit during the current situation. Anyone reccomened any other sort of sessions I could do which is ideally pitch based as I have one about a minute away? Thanks IMG_20200406_155403.jpg

The Referee Store
I've been doing this:

40 x 75m runs - I give myself 40 seconds per rep and aim to complete the run in 15 seconds leaving yourself 25 seconds rest.

Follow that up with 4 x 40m sprints

So this is the session Anthony Taylor referenced in the linked article.

Definitely a challenge, but I’ll add this to my running workouts list on days I don’t do any strength training.

I did this for the first time last night. Word of warning if you are trying this - build up to four sets. I stopped after three sets because I was wiped out.

It's a big challenge, but a GREAT long workout. Definitely something to do once a week to give yourself something close to working in game settings.

(12 sprints and ~ 6m 20s pace for 1.25 miles)... all repeated 4 times!?
In terms of specificity for refereeing, the 2km bit is a long rep
Anyway, good luck to anyone tackling this workout. Even among well trained individuals (under the age of 30), only a small minority could do this

Last edited:
(12 sprints and ~ 6m 20s pace for 1.25 miles)... all repeated 4 times!?
In terms of specificity for refereeing, the 2km bit is a long rep
Anyway, good luck to anyone tackling this workout. Even among well trained individuals (under the age of 30), only a small minority could do this

Like with anything else I see that comes from the professional officiating community, I think it's important to use what they are providing as some sort of baseline and then adjust accordingly. When I did this workout last night, I actually tried to keep my heart rate in a particular zone on the 2K run instead of trying to meet that 6:20 pace (which I wouldn't be able to achieve right now).

I've tried a few different things, but I think I've hit a sweet spot in terms of organizing my training. This may not be for everyone, but this works for me. I'm a finance guy in my day job, so I live with organization and analyzing numbers.
  • I work on a four-week cycle. I try to do 3-4 days of strength training, and I try to run 5 days a week. This is more for my mental mindset than for the physical at this point in time - I don't do well when I feel like I'm in a rut, and being active a couple of times a day really helps me feel like I have some more control over what's going on in the world. YMMV, of course.
  • I do the same strength program over the four weeks, then change up to avoid overuse injuries and keep my muscles "guessing".
  • I do the same running workouts in Weeks 1 and 3 and Weeks 2 and 4. That way, I can see if my Week 3/4 numbers are better than my Week 1/2 numbers.
  • My five days of running are in the 25-40 minute range except for the match replication session. One day focuses on sprinting, one day is a high-intensity interval day (one set is shorter with runs/rests under a minute, the other set is longer like 6 sets of 3:00 run/1:30 walk) , and the third day is a longer endurance run or a tempo run. The other two days are the FIFA fitness test (I'm working toward the :17/:20 standard that national referees in the US are expected to meet even though I'm not a national referee and will never be one) and the EPL match replication session (granted, I've just added the EPL session to my training).
By doing the same structure of exercises over four weeks, I can see if something's working or not. If it isn't, I'll try something new. This also forces me to write the program down so I hold myself accountable for doing these exercises.

So, the 2km is meant to be run in 6 minutes 20 secs?

I thought Taylor said 8 minutes for the 2K, so it's a 6 minute 20 seconds per mile pace (4:00 per kilometer). However, like I said earlier, I think it's better to think of the 2K run in terms of heart rate zone for those of us who aren't Premier League referees. I try to have my heart rate in the 160-170 range on that run. I ran this again with the sprints on grass and the 2K on trails in a state park near where I live. My legs were feeling it after the third rep, which is why I only did three reps (again, adjusting the workout to my current fitness level).

Back