A&H

Penalty?

I’ve loved reading this thread, this is my first season and am currently level 7, very quick question on the “mine” or “I’ve got” you hear it in every game but is it punishable by IDFK? I’ve looked on IFAB and can’t see it mentioned
Law 12 says that all verbal offences are idfk restart. 👍

The Referee Store
I’ve loved reading this thread, this is my first season and am currently level 7, very quick question on the “mine” or “I’ve got” you hear it in every game but is it punishable by IDFK? I’ve looked on IFAB and can’t see it mentioned
Great that you are learning! There are various other threads regarding the topic you ask about. In a nutshell, the only offence is one of 'verbal distraction' ... if you believe that the comments / noises made were designed to mislead / put off an opponent, then you penalise with an IFK and a YC. 9 times out of ten this ISN'T the case with 'mine or 'leave it' etc but there is an urban myth amongst players that you need to 'put a name on it'.

Great that you are learning! There are various other threads regarding the topic you ask about. In a nutshell, the only offence is one of 'verbal distraction' ... if you believe that the comments / noises made were designed to mislead / put off an opponent, then you penalise with an IFK and a YC. 9 times out of ten this ISN'T the case with 'mine or 'leave it' etc but there is an urban myth amongst players that you need to 'put a name on it'.
An urban myth that is unfortunately perpetuated by a significant percentage of referees ... 🤷‍♂️:wall:

if you believe that the comments / noises made were designed to mislead / put off an opponent, then you penalise with an IFK and a YC.
Although again, as others have pointed out on the, "What can't players shout?" thread, the law doesn't talk about what an utterance was intended (or designed) to do. It simply says that it is an offence if a player:

verbally distracts an opponent ....

Based on which, I would tend to agree with those who say that you should judge primarily on the result, rather than the intent.

So unless an opponent is actually distracted, I don't think you necessarily have to caution the player. A warning might be in order, though.

Having said that, if the attempt to distract is particularly egregious, it could also come under the catch-all USB category of "shows a lack of respect for the game," even if not successful.

Back