A&H

Penalty Shootout Help

Andy A

Hi guys, I have my first cup game tomorrow so I have never done a penalty shootout before.

How do you guys find is the best way to write down the takers etc.

Do you ask the teams for their initial 5 takers, or do you get the complete order from 1-11.

What is your template in your ref book for the shootout?

EDIT: And yes I am aware if a team has a player sent off then the other team has to remove a player from their list.

The Referee Store
Order of takers. Don't ask its not required in law. Just as long as five different players take the kicks then crack on.

As for writing, I just use a blank bit of paper divided in half, number of player taking the pen in a column and a tick or cross if (s)he scores/misses. Keeps it nice and simple and clear, only get (minor) issues if you end up going through all 11 players and starting again.

Remember to keep your coin in your pocket for the second half, nothing worse than leaving it in the changing room at HT and potentially needing one for ET or Pens (been there and helped out the ref - as an AR)

Finally, dont say the 'P' word out loud or, sure as eggs are eggs, you'll end up with one :D

Thanks @206eddy , well explained.

Just one query, do you get their number after they have taken their kick?

Doesn't seem right to ask them to turn round and show you their number before they take the kick?

Thanks @206eddy , well explained.

Just one query, do you get their number after they have taken their kick?

Doesn't seem right to ask them to turn round and show you their number before they take the kick?

Don't ask the to turn round, ask them to tell you their number, check it as they walk away

The new laws have made it very much easier. The only word of caution is to ensure your substitutions are noted accurately, as you no doubt know it's only those on the field of play at the end of the game that can participate.

Last edited:
Don't ask the to turn round, ask them to tell you their number, check it as they walk away

That is somewhat risky though as you might only realise they have already taken one after they are trudging back to the half way line and you then have a real problem on your hands.

If I'm on my own I walk out of the area to meet them and get the number then, that way you aren't interrupting their preparation.

That is somewhat risky though as you might only realise they have already taken one after they are trudging back to the half way line and you then have a real problem on your hands.

If I'm on my own I walk out of the area to meet them and get the number then, that way you aren't interrupting their preparation.

Good point Rusty.

Finally, dont say the 'P' word out loud or, sure as eggs are eggs, you'll end up with one :D

It was the top 2 teams in the division playing each other, both with excellent records (8 1 0 & 8 0 1) so I half expected it to go all the way.

The game didn't disappoint, it contained some excellent goals - one of them from nearly the half way line!

It was 3-3 and I looked at my watch and their was 3 minutes left, then a quick break happened and the home team scored and held on to win 4-3.

Well done for being prepared in asking the question before the game, and apologies my input is too late but one for future reference in any penalty situation (including in game/not shootout)...

I learnt from bitter experience one piece of advice: as the player taking the kick walks towards you make the first thing you do tell him 'on the whistle pal'.

They're nervous, so may forget this vital piece of information, and if they do it could leave you in a tricky position (as it did me).

My first shootout caught me out with this. Claret & Blue v Red.

Score at this point is 2-1 to Red (who took first kick) and each kick taken up to this point has been converted. Up comes Claret to take their second kick. I note his number, check the ball placement, walk backwards into my position into the Claret goalkeeper, who is right behind me instead of where I had told him to stand near the corner flag opposite to me.

I turn around to tell him to go where I told him originally to hear the taker sky the ball into the trees behind the goal. By a mile.

As I hadn't seen the penalty being taken I didn't know if it was legal, so I told them to retake, which they then scored and Claret went on to win the shootout.

I hadn't actually done anything wrong myself and I was correct in law to retake but it put me in a very difficult position and naturally red were unhappy, as you would expect. The thing that did get to me though was it was entirely preventable by reminding them it was on the whistle every time a taker came up.

I told this story to a close friend and colleague a couple of weeks ago, who said he'd never had a shootout and he kind of laughed it off. He text me last Friday to tell me he had a cup game the next day and I reminded him of this story and to order each kicker on the whistle.

It did go to Pens, he used the advice and agreed it had made life much easier.

Please learn from my bad experience, I felt a right tw@t!

Thanks for sharing @RegalRef

I still wouldn't blame you for that situation though. Will keep this in mind when I do eventually have a penalty shootout.

Yep, thats what I do.

For O/P - You can decide on end (if ground conditions mean one end is better than other) or toss a coin - just tell captains "Heads that end, tails the other". Plus winning captain for 2nd toss for order decides 1st OR 2nd.

Well done for being prepared in asking the question before the game, and apologies my input is too late but one for future reference in any penalty situation (including in game/not shootout)...

I learnt from bitter experience one piece of advice: as the player taking the kick walks towards you make the first thing you do tell him 'on the whistle pal'.

They're nervous, so may forget this vital piece of information, and if they do it could leave you in a tricky position (as it did me).

My first shootout caught me out with this. Claret & Blue v Red.

Score at this point is 2-1 to Red (who took first kick) and each kick taken up to this point has been converted. Up comes Claret to take their second kick. I note his number, check the ball placement, walk backwards into my position into the Claret goalkeeper, who is right behind me instead of where I had told him to stand near the corner flag opposite to me.

I turn around to tell him to go where I told him originally to hear the taker sky the ball into the trees behind the goal. By a mile.

As I hadn't seen the penalty being taken I didn't know if it was legal, so I told them to retake, which they then scored and Claret went on to win the shootout.

I hadn't actually done anything wrong myself and I was correct in law to retake but it put me in a very difficult position and naturally red were unhappy, as you would expect. The thing that did get to me though was it was entirely preventable by reminding them it was on the whistle every time a taker came up.

I told this story to a close friend and colleague a couple of weeks ago, who said he'd never had a shootout and he kind of laughed it off. He text me last Friday to tell me he had a cup game the next day and I reminded him of this story and to order each kicker on the whistle.

It did go to Pens, he used the advice and agreed it had made life much easier.

Please learn from my bad experience, I felt a right tw@t!

Excellent point Rusty - yes I tell all kickers its on the whistle. As you say everyone, will be "up" for a pen shoot out, so its more important than normal that we stay the calmest person on the pitch in these scenarios.

A point from me is that if you have ARs make sure you tell them to keep score also!

I had a cup final last season and forgot all about saying in my prematch what I expected from them if it went to pens so therefore the ARs forgot to take a notebook out.

To cut a long story short, i ****ed the score up and blew for full time when the shootout was a actually a draw. I had recorded that red team had scored an extra goal when they hadn't therefore when yellows missed there last pen I thought reds had won it when in fact reds had also missed a pen (the one I recorded as a goal). Reds obviously weren't admitting to it being a draw while yellow team and parents were playing hell! When I asked ARs if they had any idea of what had gone on, they were non the wiser....:bite:

In the end I had to ask players from both sets of teams to raise their hand if they had scored to which 4 from each team did so.

Moral of the story, don't look like a complete tool and not only learn to count, include pens in your prematch is necessary!!!

Yep, thats what I do.

For O/P - You can decide on end (if ground conditions mean one end is better than other) or toss a coin - just tell captains "Heads that end, tails the other". Plus winning captain for 2nd toss for order decides 1st OR 2nd.
Toss for which end? That is the referee's decision! Only toss for who goes first!

Toss for which end? That is the referee's decision! Only toss for who goes first!

Not since this season it isn't - see 2016/17 LOTG. 2 exclamation marks don't make you correct;)

• Unless there are other considerations (e.g. ground conditions, safety etc.), the referee tosses a coin to decide the goal at which the kicks will be taken which may only be changed for safety reasons or if the goal or playing surface becomes unusable

Back