A&H

penalty retake / manager send off

You have to look at this as a whole. Yes an attacker commited a minor offence at a PK which in your case didn't even impact the PK. But why did you award the PK in the first place? Let's say it was due to a attacker being through on goal and fouled by the "last man" attempting to play the ball in an almost certain goal scoring opportunity. You don't allow the retake after the PK and the team with the clearly bigger offence is the winner here.

The law was written in a way to be fair on both sides and rebalancing of the situation by looking at the bigger picture.
But if a defending player commits an offence and a goal is not scored the pk is retaken.

All seems stacked against the defending team?

The Referee Store
No one said that, and I'm going to keep quoting myself every time you make the same incorrect assertion
I wasn't quoting you. I was quoting the common 'forum vibe'
My vibe is that it's a blight everywhere; except perhaps the MLS where the patrons are into that sorta thing

Anyway, all 'old hat'. Back on topic, I think VAR was desperate to get involved in this retake because the goal was scruffy and something was sure to warrant the usual forensics and lengthy delay. VAR has to justify their toys after all

Last edited:
That's weird, because my impression of the vibe is that everyone thinks VAR is wonderful. No, I'm not basing that on any facts or reality, but since it's just "the vibe" you apparently can't argue against it - I just get to say nonsense and then get annoyed when challenged on it.

VAR got involved in this because it's VAR's job to get involved in this. They don't get to choose to ignore an offence just because it might upset people on the internet. And "Justify their toys" is full on nonsense, especially from a referee - what would you think of a player who said that to you about your whistle or your cards this weekend? They're not playing with toys, they're doing the job they're employed to do.

Back