A&H

Penalty procedure query

I would say 16 overrides 9 on the basis that 16 is specific to the Goal Kick
9.1) is intended to define when a ball which has been in play, is now out of play
Regarding kicking the ball over the goal line from a GK, 9.1) is irrelevant because the ball was never in play
Some events are so unlikely, they don't merit much consideration. A player deliberately kicking the ball into own goal from a GK, would merit a very very rare C1, UB 'lack of respect'!

The Referee Store
I would say 16 overrides 9 on the basis that 16 is specific to the Goal Kick
9.1) is intended to define when a ball which has been in play, is now out of play
Regarding kicking the ball over the goal line from a GK, 9.1) is irrelevant because the ball was never in play
Some events are so unlikely, they don't merit much consideration. A player deliberately kicking the ball into own goal from a GK, would merit a very very rare C1, UB 'lack of respect'!
In reality neither has to override the other. That's why I threw the common sense bit in there. In the case of a goal kick the ball cant go in play as soon as it leave the field of play.

As for the caution, I would deal with it on a case by case basis, it could be delaying the restart, USB, even dissent or nothing. It really depends on when, what, how, who ....

Thanks for all the advice. I'm preparing for the course and whilst the laws make sense there are definitely a few scenarios (like the ones mentioned) where it could be cleared up a little.

I always laugh at the rule that own goals can't be directly scored from a corner. It must be so unlikely but it's one that would definitely make me think if I hadn't reread the rules a few times.

Laws of the game are not written the best but there is mostly method to the madness. Just like double touch that applies to all restarts, same goes with own goal. You can't score an own goal from any restart not just a corner kick.

Laws of the game are not written the best but there is mostly method to the madness. Just like double touch that applies to all restarts, same goes with own goal. You can't score an own goal from any restart not just a corner kick.
Except the kick off, but that aint really a restart

Except the kick off, but that aint really a restart
How did you manage two things wrong in such a short sentence :p

Only kick off at the start of the game is not a restart. All other ones, second half kick off, extra time first and second half kick offs and kick off after every goal are restarts of play.

An no you can't score an own goal (or double touch) from kick off :)

Last edited:
The law is a little contradictory on this if the ball goes over the goal line directly from inside the penalty area:

In law 16 for a goal kick "The ball is in play when it leaves the penalty area"
In law 9 for all plays "The ball is out of play when: it has wholly passed over the goal line"

Law 9 overrides law 16 as it is for all plays (and a bit of common sense). So in effect the ball never went in play and the restart does not change.

Law 17: A corner kick is awarded when the whole of the ball passes over the goal line, on the ground or in the air, having last touched a player of the defending team and a goal is not scored

Law 17: A corner kick is awarded when the whole of the ball passes over the goal line, on the ground or in the air, having last touched a player of the defending team and a goal is not scored
Note that the ball MUST be in play for this to happen though...

So on a goal kick, when's the ball in play...?

When it leaves the penalty area (into the field of play).

So, if it doesn't leave the penalty area (and thus go into play) but crosses the goal line... we don't change the restart.

What's important to note here is that the same goal kick concept (leaving the penalty area over the goal line) also applies to any defensive free kick taken in the PA.

So if a defender had a free kick just outside their penalty area, play it back to the keeper who missed the ball and it goes in, that wouldn’t count as a goal? I’m glad this has never happened to me as I wasn’t aware of this!

So would the restart be a corner?

So if a defender had a free kick just outside their penalty area, play it back to the keeper who missed the ball and it goes in, that wouldn’t count as a goal? I’m glad this has never happened to me as I wasn’t aware of this!

So would the restart be a corner?
Law 13:
BALL ENTERS THE GOAL

if a direct free kick is kicked directly into the opponents’ goal, a goal is awarded

if an indirect free kick is kicked directly into the opponents’ goal, a goal kick is awarded

if a direct or indirect free kick is kicked directly into the team’s own goal, a corner kick is awarded

I had the corner one in a game a few years ago. Fortunately one of the players shouted "don't touch it" to the kicker (just before he touched it) or I suspect I would have missed it!

I had the corner one in a game a few years ago. Fortunately one of the players shouted "don't touch it" to the kicker (just before he touched it) or I suspect I would have missed it!
That's a double rarity. A rare occasion when a player knows the correct law but the referee doesn't on a rare incident :)

Back