A&H

Penalty procedure query

Trueman1991

Level 5 Referee
Reading the penalty procedure on the LotG this morning. It states the below:

The kicker must not play the ball again until it has touched another player.

However isn't the kicker allowed the play the ball again if it rebounds of the crossbar / posts?

The Referee Store
It's not just the penalty kick either. It's any restart (except dropped ball). The other rare one is a corner kick bouncing of the post and being touched by the taker again before touching anyone ese. I have only seen it once.

It's not just the penalty kick either. It's any restart (except dropped ball). The other rare one is a corner kick bouncing of the post and being touched by the taker again before touching anyone ese. I have only seen it once.

I reckon if you spent half an hour trying to do that you couldn't! Slightly off topic but I played in a game many moons ago where the keeper took a goal kick into the wind and he caught it as it blew straight back to him. The ref had no idea what to do and neither did the players so he just said to take the goal kick again

I reckon if you spent half an hour trying to do that you couldn't! Slightly off topic but I played in a game many moons ago where the keeper took a goal kick into the wind and he caught it as it blew straight back to him. The ref had no idea what to do and neither did the players so he just said to take the goal kick again

This depends on how far the ball went before being blew back. If the ball left the PA before being blown into his own goal, the correct decision would be a corner. If the ball never left the PA before being blew back then the kick is retaken as the ball was never back in play.

The corner kick one happened to me a few years ago when I was reffing a mini soccer game.
I played on at the time.
In my defence it was before I was actually qualified, wouldn't make the same mistake now!

Ahh I misresd your comment. My previous response was to a goal kick blowing back and being scored. To your question:

If ball doesnt leave the PA then kick is retaken.

If ball leaves PA and is blown back in and caught by GK it is an IDFK from where offence occurred or on 6 yard line if offence occurred inside 6 yard box. A bit harsh. If he was to leave the ball, presuming it doesnt touch another player, even ball went into the goal it would be a corner.

I reckon that corner one would have caught me out, until now. Thank you rechat and @one

In answer to OP only seen it in one of my games once and penalised it. Player was dumbfounded at first but once I explained it was accepted.

I have not seen it yet. Its one of those scenarios which only happen a few times in many years but might occur on exam papers to keep you on your toes.

Not to derail the thread but something has been bugging me recently.

If you take a goal kick and kick it directly backwards, out over the goal line (but not into the goal) for a corner, does this count as the ball exiting the penalty area?

I've honestly over-thought this into a brain-blank at the moment...

Not to derail the thread but something has been bugging me recently.

If you take a goal kick and kick it directly backwards, out over the goal line (but not into the goal) for a corner, does this count as the ball exiting the penalty area?

I've honestly over-thought this into a brain-blank at the moment...
Yes, the goal line and the 18 yard line form one of two parallel boundaries of the PA... Rule 1.6)

Yes, the goal line and the 18 yard line form one of two parallel boundaries of the PA... Rule 1.6)
I am going to disagree BC

1) The ball has not left the penalty Area AND come into play. The wording of the ball must leave the penalty area before it is in play leads me to interpret that the ball must come into active playing area before the procedure can be considered complete.
2) if the ball passes over the goal line and and between the goal posts then a corner is awarded of it left the penalty area, retake if not also suggesting the ball has not left the area if kicked directly over the goal line.
3) if a DFK offence occurs off the field of play but on the boundary of the PA a PK is awarded which leaves me to believe the area beyond the goal line paralell to the boundary of the PA is still considered as the PA

I will add one thing though, that we always agree on, the law is not very clear and I have drawn conclusions from other parts of the law to arrive at my thoughts on the matter rather than it being black and white.

I am going to disagree BC

1) The ball has not left the penalty Area AND come into play. The wording of the ball must leave the penalty area before it is in play leads me to interpret that the ball must come into active playing area before the procedure can be considered complete.
2) if the ball passes over the goal line and and between the goal posts then a corner is awarded of it left the penalty area, retake if not also suggesting the ball has not left the area if kicked directly over the goal line.
3) if a DFK offence occurs off the field of play but on the boundary of the PA a PK is awarded which leaves me to believe the area beyond the goal line paralell to the boundary of the PA is still considered as the PA
I make you right :confused:

I had the penalty one, with the ball deflecting back high in the air and the attacker somehow beating the GK to the ball as it came down. Fortunately, his header went over the bar, as I didn't realise what happened until a defender asked if I would have allowed the goal or not! Been on the lookout for it ever since!

We had the corner one in a local cup final a few years ago. The ball was driven across from the arc, hit the upright at the top of the post where it joins the crossbar and went straight back to the kicker. It was too high for the defender on the line next to the upright and the 'keeper was nowhere near getting to it. The kicker then had another go putting the ball across but fortunately a goal wasn't scored. The only people to spot it were the 15 refs on the sidelines watching the game! Neither the players nor the match officials, including the AR who was standing next to the kicker saw anything.

This was pointed out to them after the game!!...

The ball has to enter the field of play to be in play.

So...

• kick it over the goal line, somewhere inside the penalty area... (goal or not) and it's a retake.
  • kick it over the goal line, but it passes outside of the penalty area into the field of play first, and it's a corner
  • kick it over the goal line into the goal, but it passes outside of the penalty area into the field of play first, and... it's still a corner. :)

We had the corner one in a local cup final a few years ago. The ball was driven across from the arc, hit the upright at the top of the post where it joins the crossbar and went straight back to the kicker. It was too high for the defender on the line next to the upright and the 'keeper was nowhere near getting to it. The kicker then had another go putting the ball across but fortunately a goal wasn't scored. The only people to spot it were the 15 refs on the sidelines watching the game! Neither the players nor the match officials, including the AR who was standing next to the kicker saw anything.

This was pointed out to them after the game!!...
I'm glad @one chucked this gotcha into the ring
Coming to a FOP near you soon! The lucky winner will spot it immediately, dazzling everyone for miles around!

Reactions: one
The law is a little contradictory on this if the ball goes over the goal line directly from inside the penalty area:

In law 16 for a goal kick "The ball is in play when it leaves the penalty area"
In law 9 for all plays "The ball is out of play when: it has wholly passed over the goal line"

Law 9 overrides law 16 as it is for all plays (and a bit of common sense). So in effect the ball never went in play and the restart does not change.

Back