A&H

Penalty area foul

The Referee Store
5 seasons, normally two games a weekend. Can't say these "purist" views have ever been an issue in any of my games, which always seem to go very well, with the exception of maybe two or three in all 5 seasons.

I honestly don't see how you can give a decision without being sure? Not saying I'm always right, I'm sure there's hundreds of decisions I've given incorrectly in reality, but the decisions are always "there is a foul / handball / whatever there" not saying "I'm 90% sure there's a foul, so I'll give it on the basis of probability"

Socrates would answer you by saying that one can never be sure of anything. Every decision is based on an assessment evidence rather than 'reality'. Most decisions I make are on a 'most likely' standard. I might elevate it somewhat for send offs, but if you limit yourself to only making decisions where beyond reasonable doubt then, if you were properly assessing your own fallability, you would never make a controversial decision!

I've given a penalty when I was the only person at the ground that thought it was one, and that in an FA Cup game, and I certainly won't be doing it again. Easy game to that point turned into chaos, and the problem is that sometimes our eyes deceive us and tell our brain that something happened when it simply hadn't. Doesn't matter if it was on the half way line, matters a bit more when it gets closer to the penalty area, matters enormously when inside that area.

That's why you will hear almost every L3 and above, and most L4s as well, say in their pre-match instructions that if there is no attacking appeal there is no penalty. If no one appeals there is a very, very high percentage chance that you have seen it wrong.

5 seasons, normally two games a weekend. Can't say these "purist" views have ever been an issue in any of my games, which always seem to go very well, with the exception of maybe two or three in all 5 seasons.

"

Maybe you are ready to step up to a higher level of football, or ask your appointment secretary for some more challenging games.
When the games are more challenging, you can have issues even when you are right.

Back