A&H

Patrol path

bmace3

Hi all,

Any tips on how to maintain the patrol path width. I always find myself being too central. I always try to make the ‘lazy s’ but often find myself central. Any advice greatly appreciated

The Referee Store
Thank you. I’ll make sure I put this into practice in my next game.
We're being taught to deprioritize patrol path and the whole 'get wide business', so I wouldn't worry too much. Personally, I like a swing out to the left as the left winger cuts in from the touchline, but positional advice changes more frequently than fashion. Besides, pro refs don't bother getting wide so there you have it
As long as you're an optimal distance from play with an oblique or side-on aspect to each challenge and you've got good awareness of what your AR's are up to, you'll do just fine IMHO

Last edited:
This was my heat map from my last game but it was horrendous conditions and I think I stayed more central as a safety net. EF5DCBDA-98C4-43FA-99FD-CBE06EE1D789.jpeg

We're being taught to deprioritize patrol path and the whole 'get wide business', so I wouldn't worry too much. Personally, I like a swing out to the left as the left winger cuts in from the touchline, but positional advice changes more frequently than fashion. Besides, pro refs don't bother getting wide so there you have it
As long as you're an optimal distance from play with an oblique or side-on aspect to each challenge and you've got good awareness of what your AR's are up to, you'll do just fine IMHO
My understanding of what is being taught now is similar to this. Once upon a time, the mantra was “wide and deep,” npbut not so much anymore. What I understand is the ideal now is thinking of the field as having channels the length of the field and (in general) staying In the channel to the left of play. So if play is in the right corner of the PA, that puts the R pretty central. Only of play gets very wide to the left does the R get very wide to the left. (As opposed to an older view of a hard diagonal that would take the R wide even if play was near the far touchline.)

Of course, this mode, makes it much more likely that a shift take the play outside of the R on the left, as the R isn’t already wide. I don’t think that is something to get disturbed by--just move to get the best angle possible on the plays there. Everything I hear is that we should consider our angle of view as far more important than being wide.

(and, of course, different assessors will have their own views, which mayor may not be current, depending on where you are . . . )

If you have good assistants you need to empower and trust them to make decisions. You may be drifting central more because you feel that you need to be closer to play and make all the decisions.

I remember getting great marks and comments for being so wide I was off the FOP when I did my 7-6. Only did it because I knew he was looking for me to do it. If thebattacker whipped a cross in I was miles from the drop zone and potential KMI yet I was marked up for it. Didn't make any sense. The idea that theres a perfect place to be in open play is a bit of a myth, although there are fundamental rules you'd do well to stick by as people have already outlined on this thread.

Wide doesn't necessarily mean better. I've given red cards whilst stood in the centre circle as that was the place I could get my optimum view on that occasion.

I look at it in a similar way I look to my ARs. I'm not outlining areas of credibility. Look at me, look at the distances we both are from free kicks etc. Positioning the same. Look at where is credible and gives you the best view and don't worry about being wide etc. If being wide feels right then it's right. If being central feels right then it's right. I've been caught out trying to be wide and now I go where my brain tells me to go (and a bit of experience and good advice from observers and other officials).

I remember getting great marks and comments for being so wide I was off the FOP when I did my 7-6. Only did it because I knew he was looking for me to do it. If thebattacker whipped a cross in I was miles from the drop zone and potential KMI yet I was marked up for it. Didn't make any sense. The idea that theres a perfect place to be in open play is a bit of a myth, although there are fundamental rules you'd do well to stick by as people have already outlined on this thread.

Wide doesn't necessarily mean better. I've given red cards whilst stood in the centre circle as that was the place I could get my optimum view on that occasion.

I look at it in a similar way I look to my ARs. I'm not outlining areas of credibility. Look at me, look at the distances we both are from free kicks etc. Positioning the same. Look at where is credible and gives you the best view and don't worry about being wide etc. If being wide feels right then it's right. If being central feels right then it's right. I've been caught out trying to be wide and now I go where my brain tells me to go (and a bit of experience and good advice from observers and other officials).
When I came through promotion it was very much "wide and deep", and you were pretty much expected to go corner flag to corner flag. That was ridiculous, and the newer system of the lazy S is much more sensible. But with neutral ARs there still needs to be some kind of patrol path as you don't want to be on top of them.

My understanding of what is being taught now is similar to this. Once upon a time, the mantra was “wide and deep,” npbut not so much anymore. What I understand is the ideal now is thinking of the field as having channels the length of the field and (in general) staying In the channel to the left of play. So if play is in the right corner of the PA, that puts the R pretty central. Only of play gets very wide to the left does the R get very wide to the left. (As opposed to an older view of a hard diagonal that would take the R wide even if play was near the far touchline.)

Of course, this mode, makes it much more likely that a shift take the play outside of the R on the left, as the R isn’t already wide. I don’t think that is something to get disturbed by--just move to get the best angle possible on the plays there. Everything I hear is that we should consider our angle of view as far more important than being wide.

(and, of course, different assessors will have their own views, which mayor may not be current, depending on where you are . . . )
First off, the 'wide deep' advice I got as a beginner is probably the worst coaching I've had to date. Utterly nonsensical as it obviously leaves you miles out of position when the ball breaks the other way
Low and behold, Step 5/6 Refs are now being told to literally 'forget the diagonal'. I've got to say, this extreme has also messed me up a bit, although being central does at least put you within reach (via a short sprint) of anywhere you need to be for a KMD
Personally, I've now chosen to ignore both coaching mindsets. Doing my own thing ultimately leads to better performances and Assessment scores. That's not being dismissive or 'big headed' on my behalf, it's just that I firmly believe that we shouldn't referee like a pack of sheep

And pay attention to the game and the players in it.
In one of my games recently I knew that one team's left winger was fast and skilful and liked to take the defender on going wide so I knew that I needed to be wide to watch him try and beat the attacker and be sure that I was in a position to make a decision on any fouls or corners.
Being central wouldn't have worked for that circumstance. But, I also knew that should the ball break I needed to sprint to get back into position.

I'm with BC on this. When thinking about positioning, there are two main considerations - getting a good side-on view of any possible foul challenge, and having easy view of your AR so that you can respond to their flag effectively.

The first aspect is easy and basically defines your ideal position vertically along the field, as well as slightly influencing your horizontal position with respect to distance. Where's the next clash of players likely to be and how close to side-on can you get by the time it happens? This is by far the more important axis to get right on the pitch, as it's literally what you're there for and can define right/wrong decisions.

The second aspect is going to also define your horizontal position, but must be a secondary consideration - being able to see and react to an AR's flag quickly is great if possible, but not a fatal error if you have to take a second to look around. Remember as well of course that you're more likely to need to react to the AR's flag when the ball is near them - AR decisions on the far side are going to be either offside or ball in/out of play on the goal line (both of which can afford a second or two of delay), whereas they shouldn't be giving foul decision over there unless you're basically injured in the centre circle!

Allow +/- 5 to 10m from the position defined by the above to allow for trying to avoid being too close and having to react to avoid interfering with players and the ball and I think that gives you the perfect theoretical position to be in at any given moment. I like @socal lurker's "channels" theory as well, I think that quite accurately reflects how I instinctively prefer to position myself

Last edited:

The "channels" concept is a good guide for new referees, i. e. keeping left of play whenever possible.
We add:
1) If you are standing still when the ball is in play, you're probably in the wrong place. Keep adjusting.
2) Only enter the centre circle if chasing a quick long break; otherwise stay left of it
3) Viewing angle is vitally important
4) Aim to be within 15-20 metres of the ball, but not too close in case you get in the way
5) Be ready to sweep in behind a left wing attack for the best angle of the challenge which becomes a penalty claim

I'm not a massive fan of don't enter the centre circle advice, but keeping left of play with NARs especially is optimal. I'd frame this more as don't be static in the centre circle.
If you're in left quadrant of Team A's half and you're next phase of play will see you move into the left quadrant of team B then running around the centre circle increases the distance you need to cover to get to where you are headed, which in a lot of cases is just unnecessary.

Concept of positioning is different for everyone based on a range of factors (your own fitness, players fitness, patterns of the game)

Just be near the play, side on and not behind, anticipate the dropping zone and try keep an assistant the other side of you if you can (don't always have to tbh - believe it or not but referees CAN turn their head to look round for a potential offsde etc). ******** to diagonals, the 'S', or avoiding this or that.

I'm not a massive fan of don't enter the centre circle advice
I'd be willing to bet that, 'for those centre circle dodgers' their heat-map would be centred on the centre circle 😃

A few other thoughts on positioning

When I feel threatened that I might be hit by the ball, I hide behind an opponent and keep moving to keep the opponent between me & the ball
Tricky to explain, but just a little tactic I have cos they ain't gonna kick it in the direction of the opponent I'm behind!

Step5/6 Refs are being told to prioritise being in a credible position to see ball in/out of PA for both lines parallel to the touchline
This turns the 'lazy S' into something somewhat less 'lazy', but overall, I quite like the guidance cos it's consistent with 'squeezing the play' on the right hand side of the FOP

Back in the day, some players used to claim they followed the Ref cos he/she was the best on the FOP for finding 'space'. Dunno if this was BS! :poop:

Back