A&H

Patrol path

The Referee Store
I'd be willing to bet that, 'for those centre circle dodgers' their heat-map would be centred on the centre circle 😃

A few other thoughts on positioning

When I feel threatened that I might be hit by the ball, I hide behind an opponent and keep moving to keep the opponent between me & the ball
Tricky to explain, but just a little tactic I have cos they ain't gonna kick it in the direction of the opponent I'm behind!

Step5/6 Refs are being told to prioritise being in a credible position to see ball in/out of PA for both lines parallel to the touchline
This turns the 'lazy S' into something somewhat less 'lazy', but overall, I quite like the guidance cos it's consistent with 'squeezing the play' on the right hand side of the FOP

Back in the day, some players used to claim they followed the Ref cos he/she was the best on the FOP for finding 'space'. Dunno if this was BS! :poop:
I have heard coaches yell “see where the ref is? That’s where you should be!” a few times . . .

I have heard coaches yell “see where the ref is? That’s where you should be!” a few times . . .
100%. Been told by a manager he'd love to sign me up as a box-to-box midfielder before aha.

Should have agreed tbh, they're on about £600 a week

The above advice mostly assumes you have ARs. If you don't, being left of play is not important. I tend to actually go wide and deep when I don't have ARs the better to judge offsides.

The other factor is the sun. If it's out and low I try to stay up-sun of the play.

This is the heatmap from my most recent game, college football, no ARs.

Attachments

• heatmap.jpg
    heatmap.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 21
A manager once went ballistic at his midfielders after I overtook them on a fast break and the opposition scored. "The ****ing ref ***ing ran past you, he's ****ing 20 years older than you are and he can ****ing keep up". I would have been more amused had the 20 years older part of it not grated with me 😂

I had one of those doing a B19 game where a coach was complaining loudly to his team that the ref was running harder than they were—that felt good at About three times the age of the players!

The above advice mostly assumes you have ARs. If you don't, being left of play is not important. I tend to actually go wide and deep when I don't have ARs the better to judge offsides.

The other factor is the sun. If it's out and low I try to stay up-sun of the play.
There is absolutely a world of difference between having ARs and being on your own. I referee on my own 99% of the time and if I ever had a heat map it wouldn't fit any recognised pattern. If a couple of players are showing signs of a tussle I might spend a little more time and attention in that area to keep an eye on things. Similarly, if one touch line is being bit unruly I will tend towards that side of the pitch.

Also, as you say, weather and field conditions can have a big impact on what position is best.

Back