The Ref Stop

Paris Vs Arsenal Ladies

I think it's OK to treat kicks from within the goal area differently. That said, they'll probably forget about this clarification by next season, or the season after, or the season after that. We'll see
At Step5/6/7, if someone appeals, I'll be giving it as it's incumbent upon me to do so at this time. If nobody notices, then nor did I
Rightly or wrongly, that's how I referee. I'm pretty much up to speed, not least cos of the forum and development evening attendance etc, but I typically choose the path of least resistance when I'm refereeing well and don't really care about last or next week's ref (or the observer these days). Ultimately, I care more about the 'winner on merit', than I do about making life difficult for myself
 
Last edited:
The Ref Stop
I think it's OK to treat kicks from within the goal area differently. That said, they'll probably forget about this clarification by next season, or the season after, or the season after that. We'll see
At Step5/6/7, if someone appeals, I'll be giving it as it's incumbent upon me to do so at this time. If nobody notices, then nor did I
Rightly or wrongly, that's how I referee. I'm pretty much up to speed, not least cos of the forum and development evening attendance etc, but I typically choose the path of least resistance when I'm refereeing well and don't really care about last or next week's ref (or the observer these days). Ultimately, I care more about the 'winner on merit', than I do about making life difficult for myself
I agree with most of this and like you will react on the day dependant on appeals. I go to pre-season meetings every year and keep up with law changes/updates and I understand professional players are also briefed on these changes. This exact scenario was covered this pre-season so either the players involved in the clip weren’t listening to the brief or were just taking the p*ss and got caught out.
 
What about "spirit of the game" here? Did that player really think she was handling the ball illegally?
It doesn’t matter what the player thought, there was a clear directive during pre-season to referees and clubs that in this exact scenario a penalty will be awarded. If this referee had used “spirit of the game” she would have been wrong in law and likely wouldn’t officiate in UEFA games any more.
 
What about "spirit of the game" here? Did that player really think she was handling the ball illegally?
I think that was exactly them analysis that led to prior decisions not to punish in similar situations. But now with the express directive from UEFA (and I gather England has the same directive), it is the proper decision for the R to make. (But as I posted above, I think it is a horrible side effect of the decision to not require GKs to leave the PA, and there needs to be a better "fix" to potential confusion on this issue than the UEFA edict. I think requiring a GK to leave the GA would address most scenarios that occur--but that would not be something UEFA could dictate, as it would not be consistent with the Laws. Hence their "fix.")
 
Simple way to eliminate any future issues...
ALL goal kicks MUST be taken by the goalkeeper.

Teams can still play out from the back and it wouldn't have to altar any other laws. Welcome to take a short one inside the 6 yard box but it MUST be the goalkeeper who kicks the ball into play.

No outfield player can then have any excuse for handling the ball after it's been played to them by the GK and no outfield player can pass it to the GK and there be a question over whether the GK has been taken or not.
 
Simple way to eliminate any future issues...
ALL goal kicks MUST be taken by the goalkeeper.

Teams can still play out from the back and it wouldn't have to altar any other laws. Welcome to take a short one inside the 6 yard box but it MUST be the goalkeeper who kicks the ball into play.

No outfield player can then have any excuse for handling the ball after it's been played to them by the GK and no outfield player can pass it to the GK and there be a question over whether the GK has been taken or not.
I don’t hate the idea in principle but sometimes GKs have minor leg niggles that mean they continue to play in goal but can’t kick the ball long. Seems a little unfair to effectively penalise a team for this and only ever give them the option of playing short
 
I think it's OK to treat kicks from within the goal area differently. That said, they'll probably forget about this clarification by next season, or the season after, or the season after that. We'll see
At Step5/6/7, if someone appeals, I'll be giving it as it's incumbent upon me to do so at this time. If nobody notices, then nor did I
Rightly or wrongly, that's how I referee. I'm pretty much up to speed, not least cos of the forum and development evening attendance etc, but I typically choose the path of least resistance when I'm refereeing well and don't really care about last or next week's ref (or the observer these days). Ultimately, I care more about the 'winner on merit', than I do about making life difficult for myself
And we Observers don’t really want you to care about us, we want you to do what you normally do based on Match Control & AoL etc - those that appear to care, are really thinking what does the Observer want/what is he looking for, usually over-think it & often get themselves in a mucking fuddle. However, we would like to be treated with respect as we would with all officials on the game & to be fair, there are only a few officials I have come across when this has not been the case.
 
I don’t hate the idea in principle but sometimes GKs have minor leg niggles that mean they continue to play in goal but can’t kick the ball long. Seems a little unfair to effectively penalise a team for this and only ever give them the option of playing short
Agree. Especially at lower levels. Much simpler to say it must be kicked out of the GA to be in play.
 
What about "spirit of the game" here? Did that player really think she was handling the ball illegally?
For me the spirit of the game here is not about if the offender thought she was handling the ball illegally. It is about if the goalkeeper tought/intended to put the ball in play.

If we go by offender's thought process then no innocent mistakes should ever be punished.
 
And we Observers don’t really want you to care about us, we want you to do what you normally do based on Match Control & AoL etc - those that appear to care, are really thinking what does the Observer want/what is he looking for, usually over-think it & often get themselves in a mucking fuddle. However, we would like to be treated with respect as we would with all officials on the game & to be fair, there are only a few officials I have come across when this has not been the case.
Yes, I think getting upset with observers is a sign of inexperience
We have to learn how to disagree (and agree) with observers in a manner that exerts influence
That goes out the window as soon as one or both parties get irritated. It's quite a difficult thing to do, not caring about the observer being there. I think it's a good deal easier for me as I've no remaining ambition in the game other that keeping 'at it' until my body no longer permits 'it'
I realize this might be misunderstood as arrogance, but it's more just down to refereeing the game in front of me, the way I want to and not the way someone else wants
 
Wouldn't have made a difference here, though. The ball was already outside the GA when Williamson handled it.

View attachment 8871
Hmm. I thought she had touched it with her foot inside before handling outside, but my memory could be wrong. Butni’d still argue it would help. If that was the rule, players would (1) be more likely to keep “passes” to the player who will take the GK inside the GA and (2) be more aware that if the ball goes outside the GA they need to be more careful. All that said, I agree it doesn’t remove the possibility of an issue. But it would signify reduce it. And in a far better way than just telling Rs to award PKs.
 
Just get rid of it and put it back to how it was with the ball needing to leave the penalty area. It's not benefited the game in any significant manner
We've had law changes, clarifications and directives to try and solves he cluster**** they created.
 
Back
Top