A&H

Over the top dissent

It's a lonely place at time is refereeing, you can feel totally isolated sometimes without a friend in the world it seems, I'm sure we've all had dark moments where you just wish you could just hope that a hole would swallow you up and it all could just stop. We can all empathise with your predicament at HT and we can all come on here saying you've messed up, well, there is no sugar coating it, you did, however, you, and a few others maybe have learned something within this thread that sometimes what seems right at the time, sometimes isn't...This site is good for this educational stuff.

Chin up, its time to move on to the next one, you've had this bad experience once, next time abandoning won't be a mistake, it will be for other reasons as mentioned above...Your safety, player numbers etc etc....

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Unless the circs are extreme I think the threat of abandonment should come first.

“Because of your players and your attitude I am considering abandoning the game. Consider this a final warning..” or something along those lines to the manager...

Reactions: one
I would back you up 100 percent if I was your AR. The dissent has gotten out of control, even here, and it needs to be curbed in the butt starting at the earliest youth levels.

Pls say u didnt second caution? Any1 calls me a nazi, they are off. No ifs or buts. Cant think of much more offensive than that...

In scales or bad words, Nazi, isn't at the top table, its red, but there are far worse!! :angel:

Had a game yesterday where dissent was excessive and the language used towards me was dreadful. Nothing threatening I might add, but one team would argue every single decision for and against them, accusing me of being biased and telling me how much of an awful ref I was. I attempted the stepped approach but the captain was as bad as the rest so cards had to happen but nothing worked so the cards kept coming. First half was 2 reds and 4 yellows. Half time came and the manager approached me, he began to accuse me of being biased and adopted an aggressive nature towards me. At this point, I abandoned the game. Although nothing threatening had happened towards me, I almost couldn’t bring myself to go back onto the pitch and subject myself to another 45 minutes of that.

Is there anything I should/could have done differently? I know some people don’t learn but I do think I was maybe a bit quick to call of the game. It was very much one of those times where you realise you are alone out there!

Am in the minority am sure but I think a ref should indeed be justified in saying nope, am not going out for the second half, why should he
Its a hobby, and a hobby is something we do for enjoyment
I could see me handing back half my match fee, saying, guys, today this aint for me sorry, reporting it to league as such, and going away, taking stock, and getting myself fresh and prepared for my next game.
Extreme, yes, but not one shoe size fits all

Am in the minority am sure but I think a ref should indeed be justified in saying nope, am not going out for the second half, why should he
I could see me handing back half my match fee, saying, guys, today this aint for me sorry, reporting it to league as such, and going away, taking stock, and getting myself fresh and prepared for my next game.

No, I don't think that is acceptable and it is just shirking your responsibilities. You are paid a match fee to officiate the fule game, you aren't paid by minute where you can give up at half time and give half the money back. I think if you did that in England you would be very lucky to avoid a charge for improper conduct.

Reactions: JH

Because you have the tools to deal with dissent......if referees dealt with it from the off it would rarely get to the point where they feel so despondent they don’t want to carry on.

No, I don't think that is acceptable and it is just shirking your responsibilities. You are paid a match fee to officiate the fule game, you aren't paid by minute where you can give up at half time and give half the money back. I think if you did that in England you would be very lucky to avoid a charge for improper conduct.

Just because am paid a match fee does not mean am going to sit in tears in the dressing room at half time
if the paid money is the key, then, should you be reduced to tears in your actual job, you consider that to be fair game because after all there is a wage involved ?
not one shoe size fits all and certainly I would not encourage such practise but if it happened, i cant say I would dismiss it out of hand

Talking generally........We really need to grow a pair if some light dissent flips your lid. Maybe refereeing isn’t for you as a hobby. Wait till the nasty stuff comes!

I sort of agree... I could understand if it was a new referee or a kid, especially a kid who may not be equipped to deal with such a scenario happening. But I think for most other people the issues have to be a bit more serious to pack the game in there and then.

Talking generally........We really need to grow a pair if some light dissent flips your lid. Maybe refereeing isn’t for you as a hobby. Wait till the nasty stuff comes!

am not talking about the normal every day stuff
am saying, I can understand if one day, it was all too much

there is no shame in that

a player afterall can be subbed if he is having an off day, so who says the referee should be superhuman

Back