A&H

Only one CAR

This scenario amuses me in some ways. Why should a club, through no fault of its own, not have their CAR used for offsides (if normal practice for your area)? If one team turned up with just 10 players, would you ask the other side to reduce their team by one as well?
I never used CAR. I think you answered your first question by your second question when you likened a CAR to a player. from what I understand in most cases a CAR is presumed not to be impartial. Having only one CAR is likely to create an unfair situations which can be prevented under the lotg, unlike 11 v 10 players which cant be prevented as the lotg entitles each team to have 11 players.

So if the competition rules allows me to, I would use no CAR. Otherwise you don't have much of a choice, just have the one CAR on the same line all game.

The Referee Store
This scenario amuses me in some ways. Why should a club, through no fault of its own, not have their CAR used for offsides (if normal practice for your area)? If one team turned up with just 10 players, would you ask the other side to reduce their team by one as well?
Apples and Oranges.
One issue is that there's the potential for bias with a CAR.
2 of them? That's easy - there's the potential for both to be biased and it evens out :D
Here you have the potential for one team's offside calls to be biased all game, and you doing your best to call the other ones. It is potentially problematic.

But on the flip side, how often does that actually happen? Even with no offside, it's big help having somebody call ball in/out. And that vast majority of CAR's are honest. But you'll need to keep a close eye on them.

Some good points made on both sides.

I never used CAR. I think you answered your first question by your second question when you likened a CAR to a player. from what I understand in most cases a CAR is presumed not to be impartial. Having only one CAR is likely to create an unfair situations which can be prevented under the lotg, unlike 11 v 10 players which cant be prevented as the lotg entitles each team to have 11 players.

So if the competition rules allows me to, I would use no CAR. Otherwise you don't have much of a choice, just have the one CAR on the same line all game.
But in that case, a team will have disadvantage themselves purely because they've failed to follow competition rules. They're not the LOTG, granted, but they should still be followed, and I've got no problem disadvantaging a team who doesn't follow them.

Actually that's a fair point. The only reason you're considering not to use a CAR is to appease the team that didn't bother following the comp rules.

But in that case, a team will have disadvantage themselves purely because they've failed to follow competition rules. They're not the LOTG, granted, but they should still be followed, and I've got no problem disadvantaging a team who doesn't follow them.
You are probably misreading my post. I would only not used CAR if the competition rule allows me. I'd still want to have a fair game whither the team with 11 has followed the rules or not. They would probably pay a fine of some sort.
Obviously if I can trust the one CAR will be 100% impartial (from previous experience for example) then there is no question of fairness and I would use him/her.

I had an example of this recently. One team had 10 players. The home team had a full squad. The home team were allowed to use their CAR and it was understood by the away team that its them who caused any disadvantage. They accepted it. I made one offside decision all game which they didnt agree with. The captain said to his own team before they tried arguing with me 'its our own fault for not having a lino'. Well done captain and good control of your team. End of debate. They moved on.

Back