One or Two (or Three or Four) Cards

Alex71

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
From my game on Sunday please - Blue vs Yellow

Blue play the ball over the top - holding up in the wind - 35 yards from goal

Yellow CB believes the Blue CF is off-side and catches the ball

No flag from CAR - no whistle from me for offside

I do now whistle for handball and prepare to caution for handball as Blue CB would have gained possession of the ball

Yellow CB isn't happy and immediately hoofs the ball 50 yards away (fair play to him - he caught it good and got the ball over a hedge!)

Blue CF is screaming it is DOGSO (I disagree, it wasn't)

Blue GK is screaming (from 50+ yards away) for 4 cards - DOGSO red, handball yellow, delaying yellow and then a 2nd red for the 2 yellows (I resist making the obvious comment back to him you're thinking of now!)

How many cards would you have issued - and what colour !?!?

Thanks
Alex

The Referee Store
Don't you just love it when players know the laws so well? :rolleyes:

As you've described it, it doesn't sound like DOGSO. I'd be booking him for the handball and then for kicking the ball away (dissent by action or delaying the restart, take your pick) before sending him off.

Out of interest, what did you do?

Hi Matthew

The grey area for me is when a player commits 2 offences at the same time - Law says to only penalise the most serious offence .. "at the same time" - does this literally mean in the same moment or in the same incident (albeit in this example 2-3 seconds apart, and without me having the chance to warn the Yellow CB about his future conduct in the game) ... I think from this comment you can guess how many cards I produced :)

It does literally mean at the same moment so that's not applicable. However, this is not DOGSO and is not really a caution for breaking up a promising goal scoring opportunity as, in order to catch the ball, the CB must have been in an equally good position to play the ball away from the CF as well. It is, however, a caution for dissent by action.

These are always tricky without being there in the situation, but here goes!

It is 2 seperate offences by defender and could be seen as caution for handball (tactical foul) and then the dissent by action (booting the ball away). Should be a red, however, common sense may dictate to just give the caution and a strong word of warning depending on game variables! Too far from goal to be sure of DOGSO, so no red for that.

Blue CF and GK would be getting a bollocking in front of their captain about proper conduct on a football pitch (assuming this is their first warning, else cautions) and depending on their reaction possibly get cautioned anyway. GK is biggest candidate for a caution for his long distance shouting if you were thinking of cautioning.

So (after all that I will say - 1 caution! And a lot of talking/warnings! (I am assuming you were in a good mood and feeling lenient!)

But it's not a tactical foul. The intention is clearly that he believes play would have been stopped for the offside, except that it isn't because, in the referee's opinion, the player was not offside. A tactical foul involves some level of deliberately breaking up a promising goal scoring opportunity or build-up play which I don't think, based on the explanation, this was.

you are assuming that he really did believe it was offside, rather than just wanting to break up the play. Players do not get to decide who is offside or not

The once I issued a caution at the same time one for player kicking ball away then l had a player say to me that I don't know laws of game so I did him again

But it's not a tactical foul. The intention is clearly that he believes play would have been stopped for the offside, except that it isn't because, in the referee's opinion, the player was not offside. A tactical foul involves some level of deliberately breaking up a promising goal scoring opportunity or build-up play which I don't think, based on the explanation, this was.

Where are you getting 'tactical foul' from? He caught the ball, which IMO is a deliberate act. The whistle had not gone so in handling the ball, he committed an offence punishable with a caution. The fact that he thought it was offside is irrelevant.

Where are you getting 'tactical foul' from? He caught the ball, which IMO is a deliberate act. The whistle had not gone so in handling the ball, he committed an offence punishable with a caution. The fact that he thought it was offside is irrelevant.

A handball does not necessitate a caution.

He caught the ball, which IMO is a deliberate act. The whistle had not gone so in handling the ball, he committed an offence punishable with a caution.

The act committed in itself is punishable by a direct free kick (deliberate hand ball). Whether it is a caution of a sending off depends on other variables (tactical foul to deny a promising position, dogso, trying to score a goal, persistent infringements).

@haywain funny old game indeed. What do you call a group of referees? A heated discussion (on the intricacies of the laws of the game!)

Thank you for some quick & useful comments ...

ONE YELLOW for the yellow CB

Calm down / warnings to Blue players (they had screamed and one had jogged in perhaps from a little too far away - but - the language was OK and surprisingly they seemed to accept the one yellow quite quickly)

I was quick to have the yellow out and was saying quite loudly "one yellow only" ... whether helpful to my game control (or even wrong in law) - I sold it to Blue players as two offences at the same time and that Law was clear in what I could do (bit of a bluff at the time) - i.e. only punish one of them

I was a bit fortunate that the game actually re-started quickly (I already knew the CB's name, a spare ball came on quickly and a blue player re-started play)

After the game the yellow CB thanked me for not sending him off - I think he expected to go - and perhaps - from reading comments above - maybe he should have!

Thanks again
Alex

Back