A&H

One line from the LOTG you wish EVERYONE knew...…..

Nooo, its easy, its the blurred lines by the un-natural position malarky that clouds the issue.... 95%+ are not deliberate......

The Referee Store
And out of them how many honestly do you think tried to handle the ball or where they given as hands in quite high position.
One was very obviously deliberate
One was possibly accidental but she got such a huge advantage from it that I gave the free kick
The other was hands above the head. Possibly accidental, I acknowledge.

I’ve not given loads and loads. Players scream for them every time it touches the hand. I just say “nope, accidental” and everyone seems to crack on.

Regarding Handball, strikers are far more likely than defenders to do this deliberately. Reason being, there's very little downside for the striker. It's one aspect of 'safe refereeing' which can be reasoned quite well

One was very obviously deliberate
One was possibly accidental but she got such a huge advantage from it that I gave the free kick
The other was hands above the head. Possibly accidental, I acknowledge.

I’ve not given loads and loads. Players scream for them every time it touches the hand. I just say “nope, accidental” and everyone seems to crack on.

Not helped by an awful decision in the biggest game in world football was given AFTER VAR as well.

I think we will see some significant changes to handball law, bringing it more in line with "what football expects"

What football expects is refs not giving flabergasting handball decisions when its clearly not deliberate! We have arms for balance and they swing when we run totally naturally!!!

What football expects is refs not giving flabergasting handball decisions when its clearly not deliberate! We have arms for balance and they swing when we run totally naturally!!!
Yes. But football i.e. players, managers, spectators all expect something different to what is written in law, so I expect there will be a change. Not advocating, merely an observation.

It's only what football expects because FIFA referees don't apply the Law as the rest of us do
Change will be motivated by more penalties and more goals a la World Cup. Such change won't be good for the game

In my games, deliberately putting your hand/arm where it normally isn't (unnatural position), in an attempted to block the path of the ball is a deliberate handball offence if the ball makes contact with it. This is regardless of if the hand is put there before or after the ball is kicked, distance, speed of ball, position on the field, intent of the kicker, ball to hand or hand to ball, or if a butterfly has flapped its wings in Brazil.

Last edited:
In my games, deliberately putting your hand/arm where it normally isn't (unnatural position), in an attempted to block the path of the ball is a deliberate handball offence if the ball makes contact with it. This is regardless of if the hand is put there before or after the ball is kicked, distance, speed of ball, position on the field, intent of the kicker, ball to hand or hand to ball, or if a butterfly has flapped its wings in Brazil.
Brilliant, just forget the law then! It’s always handball regardless????

Brilliant, just forget the law then! It’s always handball regardless????
Not always handball but yes, deliberately placing your arm somewhere in an attempt to block the ball is enough if contact is made regardless of other factors mentioned in my post. All in accordance with law which is "a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with the hand or arm". If its not punished by a free kick the law and it's intent are ignored.

The consideration "the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an offence" is often wrongly interpreted as "position of the hand is not a consideration". It's very very poor wording of the law. The phrase "does not necessarily mean" is equivalent to "may or may not mean". In my case it does mean an offence. It's very similar to distance which "may or may not mean" its an offence. Either way they are both just considerations not definitive criteria.

PS, I asked a question in post #24 that went unanswered.

Reactions: JH
Not always handball but yes, deliberately placing your arm somewhere in an attempt to block the ball is enough if contact is made regardless of other factors mentioned in my post. All in accordance with law which is "a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with the hand or arm". If its not punished by a free kick the law and it's intent are ignored.

The consideration "the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an offence" is often wrongly interpreted as "position of the hand is not a consideration". It's very very poor wording of the law. The phrase "does not necessarily mean" is equivalent to "may or may not mean". In my case it does mean an offence. It's very similar to distance which "may or may not mean" its an offence. Either way they are both just considerations not definitive criteria.

PS, I asked a question in post #24 that went unanswered.
images.jpeg
I hear ye Bro.... :rolleyes:

Back