A&H

On the Whistle

I've got PDFs of the laws going back to 2010 and it isn't listed in any of those as a caution, mandatory or discretionary. It is ultimately up to the referee on the day.

The Referee Store
Bored now.

Have explained why referee's should view this as an almost certain caution, using words like "suggest", so that even the most terminally stupid can understand (but apparently not simple enough for some) that whilst it isn't a mandatory caution in the LOTG, in terms of "safe" refereeing they will be well served in cautioning in all but the most exceptional of circumstances.
And no, "exceptional circumstances" does not mean because the players claims not to have heard you....,..since when did players suddenly become the paragons of virtue?
The usual insults and conviction that all players are out to get you!
I really don't see how not booking a player for taking a FK before the whistle despite you ordering a retake (unless it is a very clear case of dissent, delaying the restart or lack of respect) will affect your match control and induce players to continue to take FKs before the whistle. Quite the opposite I would have thought...

The usual insults and conviction that all players are out to get you!
I really don't see how not booking a player for taking a FK before the whistle despite you ordering a retake (unless it is a very clear case of dissent, delaying the restart or lack of respect) will affect your match control and induce players to continue to take FKs before the whistle. Quite the opposite I would have thought...

So you don't consider completely ignoring your instruction not to take the kick until the whistle was blown to be either a lack of respect or dissent?

How about that same kick, taken despite your instruction for them to wait, slamming into the back of your head as you try to pace the wall out? Caution then? Or just laugh it off and retake?

I've got PDFs of the laws going back to 2010 and it isn't listed in any of those as a caution, mandatory or discretionary. It is ultimately up to the referee on the day.
I've got PDFs of the Laws back to 2007 and it's not mentioned in them either as being a caution, neither precautionary nor mandatory.

So you don't consider completely ignoring your instruction not to take the kick until the whistle was blown to be either a lack of respect or dissent?

How about that same kick, taken despite your instruction for them to wait, slamming into the back of your head as you try to pace the wall out? Caution then? Or just laugh it off and retake?
I've given them out as dissent as a match control mechanism to avoid the goal being scored, before the defence is ready but ore importantly before my signal

Hello Uncle Brian, where have you been?
Busy life. New job involves working anything between 8am and 8pm (max 35 a week supposedly) Monday to Saturday. Completed 7 referee observations last month, my daughter got married and I'm also the Appointments Secretary for the local Supply League. I also find time to sleep occasionally.

If I felt that someone had deliberately and wilfully ignored me, I would caution; if not I wouldn't. I certainly wouldn't treat the taking of the free kick before the whistle as a mandatory caution.

If I felt that the ball hitting me in the back of the head had been done deliberately, I wouldn't caution I would dismiss. I'm surprised you suggest a caution...

If I felt that someone had deliberately and wilfully ignored me, I would caution; if not I wouldn't. I certainly wouldn't treat the taking of the free kick before the whistle as a mandatory caution.

If I felt that the ball hitting me in the back of the head had been done deliberately, I wouldn't caution I would dismiss. I'm surprised you suggest a caution...

I would be curious how you would write up a report for something which you have not seen? (yes am assuming its just you out there, no NARs etc)

"in the 59th minute I awarded a fk to Blues and after I placed the ball, and walked to the wall, the ball hit me with force on the back of the head, I turned round, Blue 8 was laughing so I think it was him who hit it and I sent him off for VC" ??

Last edited:
I would be curious how you would write up a report for something which you have not seen? (yes am assuming its just you out there, no NARs etc)

"in the 59th minute I awarded a fk to Blues and after I placed the ball, and walked to the wall, the ball hit me with force on the back of the head, I turned round, Blue 8 was laughing so I think it was him who hit it and I sent him off for VC" ??
If you can't dismiss then you can't caution for the same reason.

100% correct and I have never posted words to that effect, you however, appear to have done?
No, I was responding to Padfoot's which said that if a ball was kicked at me would I caution or laugh it off. Obviously if I were in a position to caution I would be in a position to dismiss which I would do if I felt the ball had been kicked at me deliberately.

You introduced what would happen if the kicker was unidentifiable - it had not been mentioned before and is not relevant to the basic premise of the discussion.

If I felt that the ball hitting me in the back of the head had been done deliberately, I wouldn't caution I would dismiss. I'm surprised you suggest a caution

sorry, am sure that was your post that I just copied and pasted. Ball, back of head, as in, your eyes (I guess) at the front, so, you wont have seen this act?

Funnily enough, this almost resurrects a previous discussion about when the ball actually comes into play. This thread has essentially been about retaking a kick that was supposed to be on the whistle (and seeking the right punishment, if any). But should we say that when misconduct/violent intent is involved, the retake is moot and the referee must restart with a DFK to the opposition? Moreover, if you think the ball has been touched and clearly moved as part of dissent, could one argue that that warrants an IFK to opponent, not retake?

Last edited:
If you have said play wont restart until you whistle, then play will not restart until you whistle ?
The ball is currently dead, same as it would be for a stoppage at a throw or a sub ?
If someone took a throw whilst you were waiting for a sub I don't think you would restart with an fk/idf....you would restart with the original throw

Ok, yes, I suppose the clue was in the title (on the whistle)! So for violent conduct, in this situation, against another player or referee that involves the actual kick or throw of the ball, that's a red card and retake?

Ok, yes, I suppose the clue was in the title (on the whistle)! So for violent conduct, in this situation, against another player or referee that involves the actual kick or throw of the ball, that's a red card and retake?
So if I'm standing 2m away, blow my whistle and the ball is belted at me, it's a RC and DFK to the other team, but if I don't blow my whistle it's a RC and a retake?

So if I'm standing 2m away, blow my whistle and the ball is belted at me, it's a RC and DFK to the other team, but if I don't blow my whistle it's a RC and a retake?

But you can’t change the restart of play.

If the ball goes out for a throw to team A, and before play has been restarted a player from team A headbutts a player from team B you can’t cancel the throw and award a free kick.

The same principle applies here, the ball isn’t in play so you would go for a retake.

If I felt that the ball hitting me in the back of the head had been done deliberately, I wouldn't caution I would dismiss. I'm surprised you suggest a caution

sorry, am sure that was your post that I just copied and pasted. Ball, back of head, as in, your eyes (I guess) at the front, so, you wont have seen this act?
So, if you placed the ball for a FK, started to pace out the wall, felt the ball hit your head, immediately turned round and saw one player laughing at you and no-one else anywhere near where you placed the ball seconds ago you would do nothing because you hadn't seen the ball kicked? Really?

Just for your peace of mind I will change my post to "If I felt that the ball hitting me in the back of the head had been done deliberately and I was 100% certain who the kicker was or one of the other neutral officials who may or may not have been officiating informed me who the kicker was or the kicker him or herself owned up I wouldn't caution I would dismiss" ...not that any of this is relevant to the point being discussed.

Back