A&H

On the Whistle

Match Control......nothing to do with AoL........

OK, I'll ask another question then. Which competency are you going to mark them down on? Remember that observers at county levels are now supposed to be coaches rather than assessors.

The Referee Store
OK, I'll ask another question then. Which competency are you going to mark them down on? Remember that observers at county levels are now supposed to be coaches rather than assessors.

WIthout digging out the handbook, I am sure that for all levels there would be an appropriate competency under AoL or match control that could apply to this situation. Off the top of my head I am sure that there is something along the lines of willingness to make decisions and control situations.....or recognising when to take disciplinary action and dealing with dissent.

At supply league level I am sure there is a something about "predictability" when issuing cards......at that level most would be expecting a caution for that specific scenario.

I can hold my hands up, it happened on a game I was on. A televised game no less. Anyway, I was far side AR. Free kick was, kinda, 35 yards from other goal, maybe 20 yards in from other AR. (we have a 4th). I swear my view was blocked as there was 3/4 players standing in proximity to ball. Anyway, (we have comms) ref spots ball (there is no spray in these days gone by), hold up whistle, makes it clear "wait for whistle" and starts to get wall back and so on, and hey presto, one of the guys who was milling around the ball smashes it into the net. Ref, could not see it as was dealing with wall, me, I could not tell you who kicked it, too far away and too many players too close, other AR is kinda concentrating on line and not paying attention to ball, and 4th is having dialogue with dug outs re the award of the free kick. Observer did indeed expect a YC for the free kick, and again, in all honesty, so did we, but, as incompetent as it may seem, between 4 match officials with comms, none of us knew who hit the free kick.

it might not be in the LOTG anymore that's is mandatory but if I saw that same incident again this weekend its a YC.

Certainly and why not?
Anyone who is worried about match control really must doubt their own ability.......
Just asking, because it's personal preference because I always blow the whistle in the attacking 3rd for a free kick.

Just asking, because it's personal preference because I always blow the whistle in the attacking 3rd for a free kick.
Why deny the offended team the advantage of a quick one? Don't get me wrong, once I start having to place the ball or set the wall all bets are off, on the whistle it will be. Allowed these many, many times but admittedly, the norm is "they're not ten yards ref" or similar so on the whistle it will be.

WIthout digging out the handbook, I am sure that for all levels there would be an appropriate competency under AoL or match control that could apply to this situation. Off the top of my head I am sure that there is something along the lines of willingness to make decisions and control situations.....or recognising when to take disciplinary action and dealing with dissent.

At supply league level I am sure there is a something about "predictability" when issuing cards......at that level most would be expecting a caution for that specific scenario.

There's certainly nothing in the current level 5-4 competencies that would require a caution.. I did caution for this in a supply league game around 7-8 years ago, and the assessor criticised me for it saying it wasn't necessary. Personally I think it is one that you could support just a retake or a caution, but equally I don't think a referee could or should be criticised, let alone marked down, for taking either approach. There was one in the PL at the weekend, can't remember which game but the referee was pacing out the wall and someone tried a quick FK, he just had it retaken.

Why deny the offended team the advantage of a quick one? Don't get me wrong, once I start having to place the ball or set the wall all bets are off, on the whistle it will be. Allowed these many, many times but admittedly, the norm is "they're not ten yards ref" or similar so on the whistle it will be.
Agree with what you said for the last part, certainly. It's rare you see a team in the attacking third taking a quick one. Also, IF the temperature of the game is very high, then you can use this to your advantage.

Slightly off topic but, do I imagine or did I imagine it, but, Mark Clattenburg seemed to whistle before every corner kick ?

Slightly off topic but, do I imagine or did I imagine it, but, Mark Clattenburg seemed to whistle before every corner kick ?
To signal for the corner kick, or literally just before it was about to be taken?

Didn't we have this before not so long ago... it's not a mandatory caution in the LotG but depending on the context a YC might be appropriate...

A retake obviously going to happen, but after consideration and reading posts on here, a caution only seems necessary if I have clearly told the taker and all other players that it is on the whistle, I.e. “It’s on the whistle guys!” Whilst holding my whistle above my head.

I think that clearly tells everyone what is going on, and anyone deciding to take the kick before I signal the restart deserves what they get.

I think if another player ran up and took it who was nowhere near when I announced it was on the whistle then I may give them the benefit of the doubt as to whether they knew it was on the whistle. But they’d have to have been right back in their own half with their keeper.

But then it comes down to the match temperament as well, I’d be less inclined to give anyone the benefit of the doubt in a feisty match where I’ve already had several cautions and players trying to push their luck etc.

A retake obviously going to happen, but after consideration and reading posts on here, a caution only seems necessary if I have clearly told the taker and all other players that it is on the whistle, I.e. “It’s on the whistle guys!” Whilst holding my whistle above my head.

I think that clearly tells everyone what is going on, and anyone deciding to take the kick before I signal the restart deserves what they get.

I think if another player ran up and took it who was nowhere near when I announced it was on the whistle then I may give them the benefit of the doubt as to whether they knew it was on the whistle. But they’d have to have been right back in their own half with their keeper.

But then it comes down to the match temperament as well, I’d be less inclined to give anyone the benefit of the doubt in a feisty match where I’ve already had several cautions and players trying to push their luck etc.

Hi
Let me throw this into the mix. Nowhere in the Laws does it say that a signal is required for a free kick to be taken unlike a PK. It is in the Advice and Interpretation but not the Laws.
Also whose benefit is the whistle for? So for me the player has not heeded the instruction, he has taken the kick at goal, made a rickets of it so I am not giving him a second go after a sighter or allowing a change of plan on the kick. Anyway who is going to complain! The kicker, his team? "You took the kick, you got on with it". If he was being a smart A€&@ taking advantage of no whistle why give him another go. Different matter if the defending team is disadvantaged by the referee being in the way, unsighted, a pass, player being cautioned, spoken to out of position and opponents waiting on the whistle.
It is not one size fits all or black and white that it has to be a retake every single time.

Hi
Let me throw this into the mix. Nowhere in the Laws does it say that a signal is required for a free kick to be taken unlike a PK. It is in the Advice and Interpretation but not the Laws.
Also whose benefit is the whistle for? So for me the player has not heeded the instruction, he has taken the kick at goal, made a rickets of it so I am not giving him a second go after a sighter or allowing a change of plan on the kick. Anyway who is going to complain! The kicker, his team? "You took the kick, you got on with it". If he was being a smart A€&@ taking advantage of no whistle why give him another go. Different matter if the defending team is disadvantaged by the referee being in the way, unsighted, a pass, player being cautioned, spoken to out of position and opponents waiting on the whistle.
It is not one size fits all or black and white that it has to be a retake every single time.

It's very simple. You, the referee, have instructed the players that the kick is not to be taken until you blow the whistle.......a player decides he is going to ignore that instruction and take the kick anyway.....caution for C1 (lack of respect for the game) or C2 dissent....you choose. Got nothing to do with who gains or loses in terms of the 2 teams. The loser, if you allow it to go unpunished, will be your credibility, authority and ultimately, your match control.

Back