A&H

Oldest active referee in your league/county?

I am 62 now, and have been officiating for 33 years. While I am not the oldest active referee in Leicestershire, there are not many older than me. And yes it does get much more difficult as the years go by.

The Referee Store
Not too sure about referee's but there's certainly a couple of guys playing in our Sunday league into their 70's and one of them came out with a cracking line yesterday. Captain goes down with cramp and he walks over "What's it like having cramp? It was 1950 the last time I had it and can't remember the feeling" got a good laugh from a fair few players and the one man and his dog watching.

*the dog didn't actually laugh, this isn't possible and cruel to try and make it happen!

I had a challenge last Sunday where both a defender and attacker went in for a ball that the GK was about to collect. The GK was probably in his 60's and hurt himself in it. One of the defenders asked him if it was the hip he had replaced that hurt, he came out with "No it's the one I need replacing!"

Moving slightly off topic, I was involved in 2 games a couple of seasons ago where the teams of 3 officials had a combined age of 161 and the season after, smashed it with a combined age of 172 in a cup final. I was the only common denominator in these 3 games and even though I'm in my 50s was the youngest in them all!

Moving slightly off topic, I was involved in 2 games a couple of seasons ago where the teams of 3 officials had a combined age of 161 and the season after, smashed it with a combined age of 172 in a cup final. I was the only common denominator in these 3 games and even though I'm in my 50s was the youngest in them all!
On the flipside of that, I refereed a game a couple of years ago where, at 21, I was the oldest official by 2 years!
17, 19 & 21 meaning a combined age of 57!

I've obviously done loads of games where I was the oldest in the team but the most notable was when my eldest son was the referee and my youngest was the other assistant. I've done some really good games but this one was the most special. Our own family cup final!

I once refereed my sons team in a friendly. During the second half I awarded his team a penalty, and my son said, "Good decision Dad..."

That went down well..!!!

On the flipside of that, I refereed a game a couple of years ago where, at 21, I was the oldest official by 2 years!
17, 19 & 21 meaning a combined age of 57!
in my last season (actually not strictly true as i may have a game this saturday) of playing OA before i started vets , i played in a back line that totalled 201 years between us the right back being 71. he stunned the entire pitch into silence when he chopped down the oppos pacey young winger !

Back