A&H

Oldest active referee in your league/county?

Kes

I'll Decide ...
I'm half a century old later this year. :eek: A physically demanding career and constant involvement in active sport has taken it's toll on my frame and already, one or two cracks are beginning to show. :(
I have it in my head that based on the current shape I'm in, I'll be able to referee at grass roots level until I'm at least 55 and possibly stretch it to 60 if I'm careful and don't overdo things.
I'm constantly "lifted" and (I suppose you'd say) inspired by one of the chaps who regularly attends my local RA meeting and whom I've seen referee a couple of times. He's 72 years old and still referees open-age football, as well as the extra odd youth game thrown in. If I'm still able to move about the field as well as he does when I'm 60, let alone 72, then I'll be very happy. ;)
I know he's not alone and that there are others out there that are still actively refereeing beyond pension age. What's/who's the oldest referee you know of and what do you make of them?
Discuss. :)

The Referee Store
This older gent, how does he get on at his advanced age? The refs i have seen in this position get dog abuse for their lack of speed and movement.

I have mixed feelings. Respect to them for keeping going though. :)

This older gent, how does he get on at his advanced age? The refs i have seen in this position get dog abuse for their lack of speed and movement.

I have mixed feelings. Respect to them for keeping going though. :)

Only seen him twice Secret Mate, both times doing under 15's matches. Have to be honest, his movement and agility did surprise me. :)
He's just been given a middle on one of our local league Cup Finals so I'm guessing his "club marks" can't be too bad. He's "old school as well (obviously :rolleyes: :D ) so isn't shy in dishing out cards and discipline when required either. ;) :)

I'm half a century old later this year. :eek: A physically demanding career and constant involvement in active sport has taken it's toll on my frame and already, one or two cracks are beginning to show. :(
I have it in my head that based on the current shape I'm in, I'll be able to referee at grass roots level until I'm at least 55 and possibly stretch it to 60 if I'm careful and don't overdo things.
I'm constantly "lifted" and (I suppose you'd say) inspired by one of the chaps who regularly attends my local RA meeting and whom I've seen referee a couple of times. He's 72 years old and still referees open-age football, as well as the extra odd youth game thrown in. If I'm still able to move about the field as well as he does when I'm 60, let alone 72, then I'll be very happy. ;)
I know he's not alone and that there are others out there that are still actively refereeing beyond pension age. What's/who's the oldest referee you know of and what do you make of them?
Discuss. :)

Given the average age at my RA is 105, I'd guess we have a couple older than him...

There is a guy in his 70's I have seen a few times refereeing youth and adult matches in the Dorset and Bournemouth leagues.

He doesn't appear to get around the pitch much, rarely leaving the centre circle area and yet appears to get most if not all the key match incident decisions right.

Couple of years ago, the league decided goal difference would no longer be used to separate teams finishing level on points and my son's then u11s side had to play-off for the league runners-up spot. The FA appointed neutral officials to the match and this guy was the lucky/unlucky one to get the middle. After the match he and the league rep at the game took a whole load of unjustified abuse off the winning manager, especially over the non-award of a penalty, which based on where I was stood he got right.

It was watching this guy taking charge of an OA match that persuaded me I still had something to offer and end my "retirement".

Reactions: Kes
any of my Essex colleagues probably know Jim... he's still knocking around at the ripe old age of 80
he does vets footy and, really cant get around the pitch much but, when we've had him theres been no problems at all

We have a 63 year old who has only just voluntarily relinquished his Level 4, on the flip side my brother has signed for a vets team and there centre back is 74!!

I am 61 this year, have been refereeing for 11 years now(late starter). Not fit enough to go Level 7-6 or anywhere else really :) I have osteoarthritis in my shoulders/knees/left hand & arm. My GP told me all the exercise i get from refereeing will help my arthritis won't stop it but will slow it. I can't go to gym to train etc. because of my arthritis, i manage quite well on the pitch through some good positioning and don't end up running around like a whippet (looking forward to tournaments coming up)when my body parts physically say " that's enough" then that's when i will graciously retire.

my mums uncle is 78 this year ... still referees the odd OA game, Junior football, all the local district school games, he goes away with a football team too once a year to a training camp in Jersey as a coach/helper ... ahhh the retired life ay!

gets around the pitch well too still ... although he is slowing down, last 2 seasons near the end he has twinged his calf

any of my Essex colleagues probably know Jim... he's still knocking around at the ripe old age of 80
he does vets footy and, really cant get around the pitch much but, when we've had him theres been no problems at all

wow, I know Jim ... he used to referee some of my games back when I were a lad! didn't know he was still going ... I thought he was 90 back then!

There are quite a few in my local Sunday league that are pushing 70, many still do 2 games a week, Saturday OA and then youth on Sunday.

I've seen a couple either in the middle or running the line, and while they don't necessarily cover the pitch as well as a younger referee might they don't seem to have any problems.

But I guess 30+ years of experience helps as there's nothing that's going to come up that they haven't seen before. They are also a wealth of experience in terms of dealing/managing players and difficult situations, and I have found them more than happy to pass on their experience to the enquiring minds of their more junior colleagues.

Incidentally, in my rounds of the various pitches etc during the course of my season with the OA league at 31 I've only come across maybe 2 or 3 referees who are young than I.

@zarathustra come to Essex my dear friend ... I turn a peachy 25 on the 8th April ... and there are plenty younger than I floating the leagues ... the other week I was talking to a 17 year old on OA, and before that ran the line for a level 4 22 year old!

@zarathustra come to Essex my dear friend ... I turn a peachy 25 on the 8th April ... and there are plenty younger than I floating the leagues ... the other week I was talking to a 17 year old on OA, and before that ran the line for a level 4 22 year old!

Don't get me wrong, I know there are lots of younger refs out and about, but judging by the turnout at the development session I attended the other week the majority seem to be in the academy/development group so don't get to mix with the likes of us old crusties on a Sunday morning.

I'm making the switch to Saturday OA next season, so I'll see if there is a greater range in the age of officials there.

What part of Essex do you live in? I used to live in Thurrock, but didn't take up the whistle til after I moved to Kent.

Not too sure about referee's but there's certainly a couple of guys playing in our Sunday league into their 70's and one of them came out with a cracking line yesterday. Captain goes down with cramp and he walks over "What's it like having cramp? It was 1950 the last time I had it and can't remember the feeling" got a good laugh from a fair few players and the one man and his dog watching.

*the dog didn't actually laugh, this isn't possible and cruel to try and make it happen!

Reactions: SM
My next door neighbour is a 62 yr old level 4.

Every year for the past 4/5 years he tells me its his last year at level 4, next season I expect to be having the same conversation with him!:p

I'm 55 btw and will complete my 16/17 registration tomorrow - eye sight permitting of course!;)

Back