A&H

Old Firm Send Off

Justylove

RefChat Addict
Game is 0-0 and referee sends Celtic player off for DOGSO.

Neil Lennon thinks it's wrong because he believes Ajer will get back to cover.

For me I think it's the right decision, don't see the defender getting back, distance and control boxes are also ticked.

Only minor question mark for me was direction as it's reasonably wide on the right, but he is cutting in towards goal which sways me to agree with the DOGSO decision.

BCFC19B8-779C-4E22-BD58-EDB8B90423C9.jpeg

Reactions: ARF
The Referee Store
Yeas the defender will get to him if he was going to run the ball to the penalty spot and shoot from there. But he is not going to do that is he? There is a large area in PA he can get to well ahead of the defender and shoot from a good angle. Pick the closest light coloured square of grass in PA for example.

Red card all day long. You’d struggle to find a ref who would say different imo

I'd need to see it in real-time. Could be a standing start, yet everyone has condemned it as DOGSO without presumably having seen the incident

Watched it in real time and said red straightaway. The covering defender argument is because of an optical illusion.

Ajer appears to be covering because he keeps running after Morelos is on the floor. As the whistle is blown he’s made a good 6-7 yards and seems to be covering.

At the point of the foul he’s nowhere near being in a position to do anything about it.

Watched it in real time and said red straightaway. The covering defender argument is because of an optical illusion.

Ajer appears to be covering because he keeps running after Morelos is on the floor. As the whistle is blown he’s made a good 6-7 yards and seems to be covering.

At the point of the foul he’s nowhere near being in a position to do anything about it.
Trust that you right then
I'd still need to see it for myself. In the pic, the players may be running towards the corner flag, not to mention distance from goal and control (or have a standing start etc.). Who knows

Saw Lennon's comments yesterday and found the video - as everyone else has said, it's DOGSO for me.

Game is 0-0 and referee sends Celtic player off for DOGSO.

Neil Lennon thinks it's wrong because he believes Ajer will get back to cover.

For me I think it's the right decision, don't see the defender getting back, distance and control boxes are also ticked.

Only minor question mark for me was direction as it's reasonably wide on the right, but he is cutting in towards goal which sways me to agree with the DOGSO decision.

View attachment 4731
To wide to be DOGSO for so SPA yellow feel that if your giving DOGSO there it needs to be direct run to goal.

To wide to be DOGSO for so SPA yellow feel that if your giving DOGSO there it needs to be direct run to goal.
• distance between the offence and the goal - approx 35 yards ✅
• general direction of the play - general direction of play is towards goal ✅
• likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball - ✅
• location and number of defenders - one defender who won't get back to challenge before the attacker will have an obvious goalscoring opportunity ✅

:redcard:

Its a clear red card, yes he is wide but he has a direct run on goal with no chance of any covering defender getting back. The Scottish BBC football correspondent summed it up best - it was stupid defending as the attacker had a lot of work to do as the shot would have been from a tight angle, but that doesn't mean it wasn't an obvious goal scoring opportunity, it would still have been a one on one.

As others have said, this is just not accurate. I believe the change to “general direction” was made because of a concern of exactly this kind of nitpicking that was being used as an excuse not to give send offs. This play is exactly the kind of play that led to the development of DOGSO as a concept.

As others have said, this is just not accurate. I believe the change to “general direction” was made because of a concern of exactly this kind of nitpicking that was being used as an excuse not to give send offs. This play is exactly the kind of play that led to the development of DOGSO as a concept.
If you watch it real time he doesn’t have a clear route to goal therefore not obvious by LOTG hence I wouldn’t give a red.

Back