A&H

Old Firm Send Off

Why? Distance from goal is in doubt. General direction of play is in doubt. Covering defender is in doubt. I think it's easy to say there's enough doubt here to go yellow. And it wouldn't be "wrong".
I don't see any doubt on distance or direction. Distance is relative to level of play. That distance behind the defense is clearly satisfied in this example in a high level professional game. Nor is there any doubt on direction--IFAB added "general" precisely to get rid of nit picking about direction. This is a direct attack towards the goal and general direction is clearly satisfied. And based on everything, I don't see the defender as making this any less than an obvious goal scoring opportunity. (Indeed, ignore the criteria for a moment and just look at the play--a break away from there is an obvious goal scoring opportunity that will have all the fans from the team (if they were allowed :( ) jumping up and down and screaming for the goal they are about to get. I believe that IFAB would consider this a missed KMI if it wasn't called and would rake the VAR over the coals if it wasn't sent down as a C&O error if the R were to have given a yellow.

All that said, in many of the games that many of us do, it might not be an OGSO as the import of the distance increases quickly as the skills of the players decrease.

The Referee Store
I don't see any doubt on distance or direction. Distance is relative to level of play. That distance behind the defense is clearly satisfied in this example in a high level professional game. Nor is there any doubt on direction--IFAB added "general" precisely to get rid of nit picking about direction. This is a direct attack towards the goal and general direction is clearly satisfied. And based on everything, I don't see the defender as making this any less than an obvious goal scoring opportunity. (Indeed, ignore the criteria for a moment and just look at the play--a break away from there is an obvious goal scoring opportunity that will have all the fans from the team (if they were allowed :( ) jumping up and down and screaming for the goal they are about to get. I believe that IFAB would consider this a missed KMI if it wasn't called and would rake the VAR over the coals if it wasn't sent down as a C&O error if the R were to have given a yellow.

All that said, in many of the games that many of us do, it might not be an OGSO as the import of the distance increases quickly as the skills of the players decrease.
Agree with just about everything except for "ignore the criteria". The only criterion is "goal scoring opportunity" which can't and must not be ignored. Everything else is a consideration which can be ignored. (Yes I know you meant the same which means I just disagree with the term you used)

I get your point, this was given to me by a SG2 ref and of course, you need to include the defender in this however in this case that defender could not have got across even if the St took the most direct route to goal and the further he went from goal, the less clear the goal scoring opportunity was. I think the diagram gives us a good idea where DOGSO should be given and you must incorporate position of second last man in this aswell

Even on your diagram though, the foul occurs in what looks like the green zone because is so far from goal. I would agree that had he been much closer to the goal line then I'd be less inclined to go red as the angle then becomes prohibitive, but here he has a clear run at goal.

Even on your diagram though, the foul occurs in what looks like the green zone because is so far from goal. I would agree that had he been much closer to the goal line then I'd be less inclined to go red as the angle then becomes prohibitive, but here he has a clear run at goal.
I agree it’s DOGSO!

Back