A&H

Offside

I doubt anyone is going to find a clear example exactly on point from authority that clearly resolves this.

I'd also note that the examples in Law 11 include, in addition to the four ways to interfere with an opponent, the following example:

• a player moving from, or standing in, an offside position is in the way of an opponent and interferes with the movement of the opponent towards the ball, this is an offside offence if it impacts on the ability of the opponent to play or challenge for the ball; if the player moves into the way of an opponent and impedes the opponent’s progress (e.g. blocks the opponent), the offence should be penalised under Law 12
The OSP attacker appears to make contact with the defender. I think this is a judgment call: did the contact (which is also an obvious action) impact the ability of the defender to successfully head the ball? I think that could be answered either way ITOOTR, and certainly neither would be a C&O error that should be reconsidered by the VAR.

The Referee Store
if you've seen said material then can you tell me what goal/incident i can go and find/watch?

Confidential might mean a different thing where you are

IFAB though will clear the issue up, without online drama xx

I doubt anyone is going to find a clear example exactly on point from authority that clearly resolves this.

I'd also note that the examples in Law 11 include, in addition to the four ways to interfere with an opponent, the following example:

• a player moving from, or standing in, an offside position is in the way of an opponent and interferes with the movement of the opponent towards the ball, this is an offside offence if it impacts on the ability of the opponent to play or challenge for the ball; if the player moves into the way of an opponent and impedes the opponent’s progress (e.g. blocks the opponent), the offence should be penalised under Law 12
The OSP attacker appears to make contact with the defender. I think this is a judgment call: did the contact (which is also an obvious action) impact the ability of the defender to successfully head the ball? I think that could be answered either way ITOOTR, and certainly neither would be a C&O error that should be reconsidered by the VAR.
So Sharp are you going off or on?

For my qualification course, when using clips and examples the instructor did not want a discussion on whether the match officials got it right or wrong, they wanted us to consider why the officials made the decision they did.

I can see two possible reasons therefore why offside has not been given:

1) The attacker did not impact on the ability of the defender to play or challenge for the ball
2) The defender deliberately plays the ball (as clarified by IFAB in July, https://www.theifab.com/news/law-11-offside-deliberate-play-guidelines-clarified/)

The slight push in the back happens after the defender heads the ball, this to me is a separate discussion to the question posed, i.e. should a foul have been given.

For my qualification course, when using clips and examples the instructor did not want a discussion on whether the match officials got it right or wrong, they wanted us to consider why the officials made the decision they did.

I can see two possible reasons therefore why offside has not been given:

1) The attacker did not impact on the ability of the defender to play or challenge for the ball
2) The defender deliberately plays the ball (as clarified by IFAB in July, https://www.theifab.com/news/law-11-offside-deliberate-play-guidelines-clarified/)

The slight push in the back happens after the defender heads the ball, this to me is a separate discussion to the question posed, i.e. should a foul have been given.
The push very definitely happens before the defender heads the ball.Untitled.png

It has to be an offence. The attacker is waiting in the drop zone and wants to play the ball. He makes contact with the defender. This is active enough. Everyone expects offside here - except our Egyptian friend. It is extreme pedantry to try to manipulate the laws in this case to avoid giving the offside decision. The laws cannot account for every scenario.

The push very definitely happens before the defender heads the ball.
I have watched it back a few times and personally can see why the officials did not warrant that as a push, watch slow mo at 4.08.

Shirt pull, now that might be a different question.....

Untitled.png

As soon as the ball is played Sharp is moving to position himself under the landing zone and this would come under an obvious action that impacts on the ability of the two defenders to play the ball.
I do think this is offside but disagree with this reason. My reason would be
- challenging an opponent for the ball or
- clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent

I don't think the players behind Sharp was ever going to get to the ball. The one in front of him is impacted but. He has Sharp's hands on him. While I don't consider this a push it has clear impact on how the ball is headed. Even if the placement of the ball on the head is shifted by 0.5mm then that would make it an impact and a challenge for me.

Screenshot_20221103-085046.jpg

Last edited:
If you watch the assistant, he is clearly considering flagging, both at the time of the header and then again when he pauses at the corner flag rather than immediately running back towards halfway. Quite rightly, the referee has taken responsibility for judging whether the attacker in an offside position has got involved in active play. Whilst it's a marginal call, my opinion (from this camera angle) is that an offence has been committed ... however it's a far from easy call for the referee to make, even assuming he gets the comms from the AR in a timely / clear enough fashion to focus his attention on that particular attacker in the time that the cross is in the air!

Back