A&H

Offside

The Referee Store
Goal

the offside player had nothing to do with the heading defenders actions.

the offside player has not...played or touched the ball
prevented the opponent from playing the ball
challenged for the ball

nothing,

we also know players reactions cant be trusted as gospel but as much as on one hand we lambast them for not knowing law, here is a case of they do, when it suits

the striker knows straight away he had nothing to do with the first defender and is letting that be known

100% goal and plenty training class clips mirror this one

Last edited:
Sharp the offside player challenges the defender?

i can see what @Anubis is saying. i don't think you can say that sharp does challenge the defender in the true sense of the word. he doesn't actively challenge the defender for the ball, he just holds a position. that said sharp touches the defender (not a foul) and i'd say his actions and presence/close proximity impact the opponent into playing the ball and is therefore offside

It is not clear why the AR didn't flag. On the freeze frame from their slightly-off angle Sharp might have appeared in line. As an AR if I thought they were in an offside position but uncertain whether they interfered, I'd be looking for a conversation with the referee.

i can see what @Anubis is saying. i don't think you can say that sharp does challenge the defender in the true sense of the word. he doesn't actively challenge the defender for the ball, he just holds a position. that said sharp touches the defender (not a foul) and i'd say his actions and presence/close proximity impact the opponent into playing the ball and is therefore offside

Fully expect offside at grass roots
Fully expect onside here

i would not be overly critical of a referee operating alone going offside.

It is not clear why the AR didn't flag. On the freeze frame from their slightly-off angle Sharp might have appeared in line. As an AR if I thought they were in an offside position but uncertain whether they interfered, I'd be looking for a conversation with the referee.

Freeze frame. Not the clearest.

Freeeze...png

As soon as the ball is played Sharp is moving to position himself under the landing zone and this would come under an obvious action that impacts on the ability of the two defenders to play the ball.

Fully expect offside at grass roots
Fully expect onside here

i would not be overly critical of a referee operating alone going offside.
got to disagree, i think it's off in line with the law and in the spirit of the law.

if the intention is that this isn't offside then those proposing and implementing the laws simply so not understand the game

That was how I saw it. Sharp effects the defender by his close proximity - position, movement and the touch is a form of light challenge.

got to disagree, i think it's off in line with the law and in the spirit of the law.

if the intention is that this isn't offside then those proposing and implementing the laws simply so not understand the game

Am fully the opposite, in law it can only be onside!

there are unlimited clips of coaching clips with even more close proximity, deemed onside.

whether they got there by ability, judgement, or luck, imo, this is textbook onside in law and ( not saying i agree with the law!), this is a valid goal scored.

Am fully the opposite, in law it can only be onside!

there are unlimited clips of coaching clips with even more close proximity, deemed onside.

whether they got there by ability, judgement, or luck, imo, this is textbook onside in law and ( not saying i agree with the law!), this is a valid goal scored.

even closer proximity? you can't be closer than touching someone?!

genuinely, please can you provide a coaching clip referencing a similar clip to this as being onside? at the end of the day, we want to get this right...at the moment I still don't believe you!

even closer proximity? you can't be closer than touching someone?!

genuinely, please can you provide a coaching clip referencing a similar clip to this as being onside? at the end of the day, we want to get this right...at the moment I still don't believe you!

Association matters are confidential.

Best person I suppose, or, people, would be to email IFAB and ask, onside or offside...

Watch the replay at 3:55. The attacker pushes the defender. Even if you don't deem it a foul, it has certainly impacted the defender's ability to play the ball.

Association matters are confidential.

Best person I suppose, or, people, would be to email IFAB and ask, onside or offside...

if you've seen said material then can you tell me what goal/incident i can go and find/watch?

Back