A&H

Offside Situation

JH

RefChat Addict
https://streamable.com/z2bpn

Thoughts? I'm going offside. If you decide that the player has made a deliberate play on the ball then your only option is penalty for handling imo, therefore it is a deflection and so the white player is offside.

The Referee Store
https://streamable.com/z2bpn

Thoughts? I'm going offside. If you decide that the player has made a deliberate play on the ball then your only option is penalty for handling imo, therefore it is a deflection and so the white player is offside.
Or surely just play the advantage like the ref has done I know it's rare to see effective advantage in the box but this is a good example of when It could be used

Assuming the attacker is in offside position, I'd say it's not an offside offence because he receives the ball from an opponent who deliberately 'played' the ball (and messed up in the process). The opponent's action was not a block or a 'save', so the attacker didn't receive the ball from his teammate

Agree with the above, if we go with it being offside position, and are focussing on the next part of play, then onside , as above, that's not a block or save and imo the striker has not impacted on the defenders actions

I would have no problems with an AR flagging that away from a top flight game.

Agree with the above, if we go with it being offside position, and are focussing on the next part of play, then onside , as above, that's not a block or save and imo the striker has not impacted on the defenders actions

I would have no problems with an AR flagging that away from a top flight game.
Yup, these nuances in Law cause carnage lower down the ladder

Imagine if the player was 5 yards off, trying to explain the subtlety of Law 11 to an irate expletive machine of a manager

Imagine if the player was 5 yards off, trying to explain the subtlety of Law 11 to an irate expletive machine of a manager

Indeed, and thats with AR at a low league game, now try doing it when operating alone !!!!
Its one of these like "scoring" with the hand at anything other than top flight, if you have to justify it 1000 times, then in the interests of the game as a whole, its prob best you dont give it.......

I had a similar clip on my pc about 2 year ago, semi pro game up here, with NARs and NAR flagged but ref correctly over ruled it and gave the goal, even players/ general punters watching it back where still not accepting it was a valid goal (which it was)
So sometimes really, you dont stand a chance!!

Am I missing something?

there is no offside? The guy who "handles" the ball still has a foot inside the box whilst the scorer is out of the box?

I would go as far as to say the right back also plays the whites on?

The link to the video said he was offside - so that is assumed.

Assuming the attacker is in offside position, I'd say it's not an offside offence because he receives the ball from an opponent who deliberately 'played' the ball (and messed up in the process). The opponent's action was not a block or a 'save', so the attacker didn't receive the ball from his teammate

So by not going offside - you're saying he made a deliberate play of the ball with the hand...
A swing and a miss, then the ball hitting you isn't playing the ball deliberately for me.

No offside as there was a deliberate play. Definitely no penalty as the attacker is outside the penalty area. No handball as it was not deliberate handling.

Goal.

So by not going offside - you're saying he made a deliberate play of the ball with the hand...
A swing and a miss, then the ball hitting you isn't playing the ball deliberately for me.

The swing and miss though is nothing to do with the attacking team, wholly down to the defender, if he swings, misses, ball hits hand and rolls to striker, then, so be it
he has deliberately played it, all be it not booted it 60 yards up the park (which after all if he did we would not even have the clip to view).
booting it 60 yards, or, totally screwing it up.....wholly defenders actions for me, not influenced in any way by attacker

Not the attacker's fault the defender is pants

No offside.... GOAL.... next....

I thinking folk looking for discussion as to how, what where and why!!
That said, yes, for me, I don't feel it needs much dissecting, in the clip, its a goal
I still stand by that should that same thing happen grass roots, or even just above that, if offside was given, I would be fine with it too.

No, it's the attacker's fault he's in an offside position when the ball is (poorly) crossed towards him! ;)

This is a "Lovren" situation all over again isn't it? As with then, I appreciate that the current laws probably make this onside, but still think it "feels" offside to me.

The attacker is in an offside position when the ball is played towards him, the ball takes a bobble off various parts of the defender and then ends up where the winger was trying to hit it anyway. If the defender wasn't there, it would be offside. If the defender went for the ball and missed it completely, it would be offside. I'm still far from convinced that failed clearances or blocks like this should reset offside.

Reactions: JH
The swing and miss though is nothing to do with the attacking team, wholly down to the defender, if he swings, misses, ball hits hand and rolls to striker, then, so be it
he has deliberately played it, all be it not booted it 60 yards up the park (which after all if he did we would not even have the clip to view).
booting it 60 yards, or, totally screwing it up.....wholly defenders actions for me, not influenced in any way by attacker
You're saying missing the ball, then it accidentally hitting the arm is a deliberate play. If you say it is deliberate, why isn't it a free-kick?

I love how a UK forum has a post about a Kansas High School clip.

Anyway, this is not offside. However, high school has it's own rule book (yes, rules) although the offside interpretation generally lines up with FIFA. Quality of high school refs aside, this is something that I'd expect a state championship referee to get correct.

Worst part about this clip?

The team that scored there (and had the goal chalked off due to offside)... apparently lost. In penalty kicks after a 0-0 match.

You're saying missing the ball, then it accidentally hitting the arm is a deliberate play. If you say it is deliberate, why isn't it a free-kick?

I don't think anyone is saying that. Either you truly don't understand the concept of deliberate play or you are willfully not understanding the concept of deliberate play - I can't decide which.

"A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save by any opponent) is not considered to have gained an advantage."

The 'deliberate play' bit is the defender trying to kick the ball away. That he did that not successfully do so does not mean that the action was not deliberate. That takes care of any possible offside.

Now to the deliberate handling bit (separate altogether from the deliberate playing of the ball). The defender misses his kick and the ball hits his hand (and if you think that the defender intended hit the ball with his hand then there's no helping you).

The deliberate play (trying to kick the ball) negates the offside. There is no deliberate handling. Therefore, goal.

Back