A&H

Offside incident

You need to be very clear in your pre match briefing to CAR. Tell him only to flag when player has touched the ball or challenged a defender explaining clearly exactly what the latter means. As soon as CAR sticks flag up when he shouldn't wave him down with a clear NO play on and at next stoppage go and speak to him and reiterate what you told him pre-match and keep repeating if necessary.

There's clearly nothing wrong with your advice. But what it fails to consider is that most CARs don't give two hoots about what advice a ref has given them.

The Referee Store
It isn't that dissimilar to when a player hears a whistle (that isn't yours) and picks the ball up. You were correct to not give offside, but once the confusion ensues I think I'd be trying to avoid giving what was essentially a very unfair goal.

Totally disagree with this analogy. Players are taught to play the whistle. They should not be stopping for a flag (CAR or NAR). But a whistle is what they are supposed to play to, so a whistle from outside the field interferes and a player who honestly (ITOOTR) is confused by that has a legitimate gripe and we are taught to consider it interference that causes play to stop.

(Hmm, new Laws, through ball going back to the keeper, outside whistle, defender picks up just outside PA . . . DB to attacking team just outside the PA....)

Reactions: one
I did exactly this and caused WW3, great refereeing but 11 players think you're a complete ****!
Standing Offside but not involved in active play is, and never has been an offence.

It amazes me that club liners actually do offisdes, ive never known it once in my area i referee, its hard enough getting them to pick a flag up and do throw inns.

There's clearly nothing wrong with your advice. But what it fails to consider is that most CARs don't give two hoots about what advice a ref has given them.
It amazes me that club liners actually do offisdes, ive never known it once in my area i referee, its hard enough getting them to pick a flag up and do throw inns.
I would just like to say that I think people (and CARs are people, whatever many of you might think!) raise themselves to the level of what is expected of them. If the prevailing mentality is that CARs are useless and a waste of time, they probably will be. Here in Western Australia it is actually mandated in the league rules that a game cannot proceed without CARs (or NARs of course). I have always chatted to my CARs and explained about waiting for players to be in active play. Almost all of them have taken it very seriously and made efforts to meet my expectations. I have had some CARs that were as good as official referees, and about 90 per cent were honest and helpful. Yes there will always be the totally inept people, and very occasional cheats, but I find if you treat them with respect, they give a great deal back.

I had a really good CAR yesterday in my game, a current AR in the EFL. They'd done a professional match on Saturday then were at their kids match yesterday.

Still treated them like any other CAR though.

I would just like to say that I think people (and CARs are people, whatever many of you might think!) raise themselves to the level of what is expected of them. If the prevailing mentality is that CARs are useless and a waste of time, they probably will be. Here in Western Australia it is actually mandated in the league rules that a game cannot proceed without CARs (or NARs of course). I have always chatted to my CARs and explained about waiting for players to be in active play. Almost all of them have taken it very seriously and made efforts to meet my expectations. I have had some CARs that were as good as official referees, and about 90 per cent were honest and helpful. Yes there will always be the totally inept people, and very occasional cheats, but I find if you treat them with respect, they give a great deal back.
Here in the UK, mandating CARs and fining for their absence, is just another reason for participation levels to drop off further
CARs seem to work in youth football because there's usually responsible parents who take pride in helping out
I think it would be sensible to forbid the use of players as assistants. Honestly, CARs in OA football are my biggest problem WRT match control because they frequently have no clue and don't want to do it

I'm pleased that your experiences of CAR are better than mine. We can only go off our experiences. In the last few years of my playing days, I played in an amateur league which had (and still has) CARs. The ref would bring the flag over and the subs would argue about who's doing it. Whoever ended up with the flag did as little as possible and couldn't wait to get on the field and give the flag to someone else, who invariably would just drop it on the floor. Some teams had volunteers but most didn't. Some players just blatantly cheated. Either because they wanted to ensure our/their team won or in response to 'cheating' (actual or perceived) from the other CAR.

Adults turn up to play football, not to CAR. If they're doing the CAR role well then they'll always get the flag and may end up playing less because of it. There's all the motivation to do it badly and none to do it well.

Kids football is different, there's usually parents who are more inclined to be fair and take the duty much more seriously.

I occasionally do matches in this league (a different county to mine, where we don't have CARs), and I find having CARs a hassle compared to doing it myself. That's just my experience.

Whoever ended up with the flag did as little as possible and couldn't wait to get on the field and give the flag to someone else, who invariably would just drop it on the floor.

Saw one club with a habit of staking the flag into the muddy ground, flag down, pole up. Really annoyed me when I saw that.

For that kind of scenario alone, I own two sets of flags, a crap shoddy pair for the CAR and the genuine article for proper Assistants.

The "let's not use cars" debate is quite frankly boring, because in some areas the referee has no choice, and is completely irrelevant to the question posed in the OP.

I think this was handled ok, you spotted that the CAR had flagged incorrectly, and verbally indicated that the play was not offside and that play was to continue.

The goal keeper may not have heard you, sometimes I find it can help to shout to someone, for example, if the keeper has the ball in his hands a shout of, "He's not offside keeper, keep playing" might have gotten his attention better.

After the goal was scored, it was the keepers fault, he should have played to the whistle and not just assumed that play had been stopped, if there is a reason to rule the goal out that can help, for example, if you're at a place where there is more than one game going on, if you're lucky there may have been a whistle that you could have said caused a distraction etc, but I wouldn't go trying to make up a reason to rule the goal out.

In terms of instructions to CARs I always brief mine in the center circle, just before I speak to the captians, I find having the captain's there to hear what you brief the CARs can help later on, as they will know you've told them not flag for foul throws, or to wait if they aren't sure whether a player is offside.

Back