A&H

Open Age Offside goal in a final

I understand what you are saying but given the situation (and I was there), I would have gone with the assistant on this occasion and sold it as a quick flag. It was not as obvious as you may think. It was a quick flag which the referee ignored. The consequence of what happened in the rest of the game regarding credibility justified my opinion on it, the referee lost the game. This offside situation has happened to me in the past and I have gone with the assistant and sold it as a quick flag, then had a word with the assistant to delay and it did not effect my match control.

Mewcenary not all teams are that understanding as you mention its rare, but I do take what you are saying.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Referee Store
"sold it as a quick flag" isn't selling it IMO :D If you knew it was a quick flag then you're basically saying that you knew he was wrong and you blew the whistle anyway

If after that I say to a manager "it was a quick flag coach..", he's probably gonna respond "Why did you blew then ??"

I understand what you are saying but given the situation (and I was there), I would have gone with the assistant on this occasion and sold it as a quick flag. It was not as obvious as you may think. It was a quick flag which the referee ignored. The consequence of what happened in the rest of the game regarding credibility justified my opinion on it, the referee lost the game. This offside situation has happened to me in the past and I have gone with the assistant and sold it as a quick flag, then had a word with the assistant to delay and it did not effect my match control.

Disagree. The referee lost the game because he gave a decision that was wrong!

Given the situation on the final I actually disagreed with the referee in the changing room and said he should have allowed the goal, once he let play continue. I also advised the assistant he should not have raised his flag and caused the whole situation by doing so. If only all situations were black and white it would be easy and there are grey areas particularly with offside given the amount of changes. I hear what you are saying though. Maybe for me it's a point of applying the law and dealing with the fallout later. :).

My issue with incorrect flags from assistants is that players always respond to them; defenders stop running when they see a neutral AR raise the flag. Clouds all what follows.

I can see why some might advocate going with the flag. being in the middle it is not always 100% clear who is off or onside anyway.

That said, if the ref knew the flag was wrong (as he did) his actions were correct. Let play continue, consult with AR afterwards.

Then of course he screwed the pooch by disallowing the goal. :eek:

Its amazing what players and managers do see when you are a neutral AR.

I had what I considered was a foul in front of me but referee also had a good view and was only marginally further away than me.

I literally "twitched" my flag ready to raise when ref shouted "no foul, play on" - goal came from that.

Cue manager (who was on opposite side of the pitch to me) going mental at H/T, saying.... "But ref the lino gave it" etc etc etc

On the flip side they also expect you to correct the ref if they think he/she is wrong, even though the incident might be over 50 yds away in the other half - I've heard "Come on lino you saw that" on countless occasions!

Unfortunately Dennis the guys are right and the green team are probably feeling hard done by right now

Had one like this in a game last night. The team Im reffing in a final on sunday weren't happy with me for it. Ball got played up from the left winger, striker (offside) misses it completely, right (onside) ran on and took it to the byline, crossed it, headed against the bar by a defender, striker originally offside heads home. Their arguement 'offside is a stupid rule and we dont agree with it, he was originally offside and interfered with that attack' so I just said 'nows not the time and place to give our opinions on the laws, whether you agree, whether I agree is a different matter, im just enforcing the laws given to me in the LotG. If it changes phase of (ie another onside player gains possession then the snapshot off when the ball is played resets for when he plays it'. They piped down after that :D

Yet again @haywain your use of the English language jump off the screen and smack everone in the head ? Using the words Integrity and honesty in a derogetory way when describing fellow referees is maybe a bit strong !

Dont you think ?

This is becoming a pattern.....

Yet again @haywain Using the words Integrity and honesty in a derogetory way when describing fellow referees is maybe a bit strong

Is that how you read it, Beezer?

I, like some others on here, happen to value honesty and integrity more than i ever will credibility and match control. Doesn't mean i don't get things wrong, spectacularly on the odd occasion, but i will never knowingly give a wrong decision just because it will make me or my assistant's look better or feel more credible out there on the pitch.

as much as i know some people hate the word, to me that is cheating, pure and simple.

Opinions, Beezer.

Understand ! If thats not what was implied i apologise

Maybe im just in a bad mood ? :)

The problem was @haywain you didn't read it all. You're preaching at the converted so to speak :rolleyes:

The question from the op was a valid one. Overruling a NAR can be a grey area at times (maybe less so in this instance). Nothing wrong with discussing it.

Now go change out of your cranky pants mister. :p

Yet again, someone posts an experience and asks for example and advice.......but the thread descends into something quite different and disrespectful.

Anyway back to the original post !!

Much that the goal being given is correct in law .....the situation doesn't sit well with me and IMO the law should be changed !!!

The player in the offside position should be flagged offside if he takes any further part in the move that is unfolding !!

As he HAS..HAS HAS.......gained an advantage from being in an offside position .

No doubt ill get slaughtered for it but I think this law is flawed and needs a little tweak to sort this unfair scenario out for the good of the game .

Hmmm I think the law is fine if you understand it. Sadly, very few players and even less supporters do understand it (especially when it benefits their bias to argue against it!)

Quite simply the referee is clearly wrong here. Once he decided to ignore the flag he MUST award the goal, unless another offside occurs which clearly wasn't the case on this occasion. If he was going to go with the assistant he should have done so immediately. By ignoring his flag and then disallowing the goal he put his match control at serious risk. How could he justify cautioning after a monumental failing on his part?

Either go with the early flag, preventing the goal from ever occurring and acknowledge that the flag was possibly early (most players will respect this), or overrule the flag and allow the goal. Personally I'd be inclined to go with the early flag (don't shoot me)

Back