A&H

Odd KFTPM occurrence

Trip

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
This wasn't my match, it was on a pitch next to mine. A county cup quarter final that had gone to pens. The referee was having an awful time, players out of the circle, shouting constantly, goalkeepers and kick takers making 'w*nker' signs at each other, a player taking a kick who (after 10 minutes of arguing and shouting) it was established had not been on the pitch at the end, etc etc.

Yellow player set the ball. On the run up to the kick a gust of wind blows the ball so it's moving slightly just as he strikes it. Keeper saves it.

What's the decision?

The Referee Store
Depends if the ball was in motion when kicked IMO, in which case... retake, otherwise... though titty

2 issues here.
1) Firstly the ball must be stationary so that one is easy, the kick has not been taken correctly. Under normal circumstances we are looking at a retake retake no matter the outcome
2) player not permitted to take part is a tricky one. Lots to think about.
It's not. Covered in law. Unless you think of kick being delayed by player having left field of play, but that gives a get out of coming back to take in time. That would be recorded as missed.
Spirit of Game - do we expect teams to know this rule.. I think if we haven't made it clear then we allow the eligible player to return, if we have made it clear and they have tried to sneak one by you then record as missed.

I think that's a lesson in the importance of being prepared to manage KFTM--which includes knowing who is on the field at end of game.

2 issues here.
1) Firstly the ball must be stationary so that one is easy, the kick has not been taken correctly. Under normal circumstances we are looking at a retake retake no matter the outcome
2) player not permitted to take part is a tricky one. Lots to think about.
It's not. Covered in law. Unless you think of kick being delayed by player having left field of play, but that gives a get out of coming back to take in time. That would be recorded as missed.
Spirit of Game - do we expect teams to know this rule.. I think if we haven't made it clear then we allow the eligible player to return, if we have made it clear and they have tried to sneak one by you then record as missed.
#2 happened in a cup final years ago in my hometown. The offending club won the shootout, but was fined after the fact. The losing club (from my hometown), left the league and joined another association and brought the cross-town rivals with them.

It was a red carded player I believe that took part in KFTPM in that game. The losing club wanted the match replayed, but this was rejected for the fine.

#2 happened in a cup final years ago in my hometown. The offending club won the shootout, but was fined after the fact. The losing club (from my hometown), left the league and joined another association and brought the cross-town rivals with them.

It was a red carded player I believe that took part in KFTPM in that game. The losing club wanted the match replayed, but this was rejected for the fine.
That's even worse letting a player red carded take one. I think we'd be in hot water with our county FAs here if we allowed that to happen.

That's even worse letting a player red carded take one. I think we'd be in hot water with our county FAs here if we allowed that to happen.
I might have to look up exactly what happened. It was in 2006 so I'm going back a loooong long way here.

EDIT: I was wrong, it was a substituted player who ended up taking the winning kick.
Yoogali (the losing side) appealed the result of the shootout and the tribunal initially decided to replay the match, and declare the final as a draw.
Shepparton (the winning side) appealed that decision as it was apparently not conducted as per the competition regulations and we re-awarded the win.

The player was suspended for 6 games and the tribunal noted in handing down the verdict that the substitution from the field of play was recorded correctly by the referee.

My understanding is that the referee allowed the substitutes to stand in the middle with the players still on the field of play and thats where the confusion came from, as "When no player stepped forward to take Shepparton's eighth kick of the shoot-out, the ineligible player walked to the penalty spot and converted his kick."

Last edited:
Not on the committee anymore but one of the standard instructions we gave referees before the knock out comps was that at full time whistle of ET, make sure all players stay on the field and no subs enter the field untill end of KFTPM.

Another measure is that all subs have to wear bibs at all times but this is not enforced at grassroots.

Not on the committee anymore but one of the standard instructions we gave referees before the knock out comps was that at full time whistle of ET, make sure all players stay on the field and no subs enter the field untill end of KFTPM.

Another measure is that all subs have to wear bibs at all times but this is not enforced at grassroots.
Yep, should be how it’s done, that’s how I’m supposed to do it.

I’m assuming in the example I gave, the referee just didn’t manage that part of the procedure well on the day

Back