A&H

Now I know

jack.prescott

Work hard, stay humble
Level 6 Referee
Today I experienced why so many young referees hang up the whistle, an under 15's game and a whites player describes an offside decision as "bl**dy bulls**t" aimed at the CAR (I believe they should be treated with the same amount of respect as me) sent him off for OFFINABUS. At half time I was surrounded by a few parents and both managers, reds manager just wanted clarification for the red card. The other people were all from white team and statements included "the league will laugh at you when you send in the report"

Abuse continues in the second half so I stopped play and said if the manager of whites didn't leave I would abandon the game, he left and the game finished 8-2 to red.

After what I experienced today it's no wonder so many youngsters stop refereeing, I won't be joining them though

The Referee Store
Good on you Jack. A letter has gone around one of the youth leagues in our county warning of the continued reduction of qualified refs because of the behaviour og parents and coaches. When they have no refs maybe they will think.

'statements included "the league will laugh at you when you send in the report"'

please tell me that you have included this in your report

well done for standing up to them

Cheers for the support fellas, I haven't done his misconduct report yet @haywain but it's definitely going in their, had to do the sending off report (done) misconduct for coach (done) and the one for parent (not done yet) as well as German revision, the joys of school

Today I experienced why so many young referees hang up the whistle, an under 15's game and a whites player describes an offside decision as "bl**dy bulls**t" aimed at the CAR (I believe they should be treated with the same amount of respect as me) sent him off for OFFINABUS. At half time I was surrounded by a few parents and both managers, reds manager just wanted clarification for the red card. The other people were all from white team and statements included "the league will laugh at you when you send in the report"

Abuse continues in the second half so I stopped play and said if the manager of whites didn't leave I would abandon the game, he left and the game finished 8-2 to red.

After what I experienced today it's no wonder so many youngsters stop refereeing, I won't be joining them though
Jack well done for not capitulating. It amuses me when clubs say things like, the league will laugh at your report. The league is not allowed to see the report. Once it is sent to the County FA, it becomes the property of The FA and cannot be shared with the player, club or league by the referee.

I'm going to be honest, I was glad when my watch bleeped at the end of the second half and I could go home, felt absolutely distraught but the manager of red has rang me to make sure I was ok and said that the other team have done this to a number of referees this season which made me feel slightly better, anyway onwards and upwards

Jack well done for not capitulating. It amuses me when clubs say things like, the league will laugh at your report. The league is not allowed to see the report. Once it is sent to the County FA, it becomes the property of The FA and cannot be shared with the player, club or league by the referee.

I was under the impression that the club received a copy of the report if they appealed

edit to add

sorry....i misread your messaged, Brian

Last edited:
the manager of red has rang me to make sure I was ok and said that the other team have done this to a number of referees this season

and yet the coach is still touchline. makes you wonder if he has been reported by other refs........underlines the importance of reporting such behaviours and not just letting it go once the match is done and dusted

It does indeed @haywain I always do a bit of research on teams before games and found out that 2 lads from white were sent off earlier in the season for playing their part in an on field fight, I didn't take reputations into account at all during the game and didn't let them affect my decisions

It makes you wonder how shallow people's lives are when they get so worked up over this. I'm not saying I put anything less than 100% in when I referee, but frankly, there are more important things in life than an offside in a youth match.

I found his choice of words quite bizarre but everything after that was awful, I got home and genuinely thought to myself "why do I do this" but it's only one game and all reports have now been sent to staffs FA for them to deal with

Don't worry mate chin up, it happened to me after about 7 games into my refereeing career, sounded similar to you manager and parent both swearing after the match but they both "pleaded guilty" so no hearing for me (they got fined £50 each which I think should go to us poor refs as compensation for the emotional distress that they cause us. But make sure you stick to your decision for sending the player off (you are exactly right in doing so btw a CAR should be treated with the same respect as you).

I have to control myself from laughing when managers/parents/spectators/players come up with good lines,like they did with you, I think to myself "God you've got no idea of the fine coming your way when the CFA have dealt with idiots like you"

I wish the bans were harsher on people like this, especially at youth level.

Just a word of advice for your next match I couldn't tell if you do but if you don't try and make sure the CAR is on the side with his defence because it is better to give a "dodgy" offside rather than a "dodgy" goal.

Remember a new game will be completely different and most people are great when you go to the matches but a few just spoil it. Remember the reason that you got into refereeing whenever you feel like quitting, just analyse your performance and think "could I have done anything else to prevent the incident" but with this one there sounds like absolutely nothing you could've done differently. :)

Last time I reported a manager for continued dissent and aggressive attitude towards me in an under 12 county cup match, first one of the season and havent had another :( last season I had 6 in total... just goes to show either they dont like dealing with referees reporting managers or more reffs are joining the county and getting games :p ( could be that ive just been rubhish, but im hopeing not) :p

Last time I reported a manager for continued dissent and aggressive attitude towards me in an under 12 county cup match, first one of the season and havent had another :( last season I had 6 in total... just goes to show either they dont like dealing with referees reporting managers or more reffs are joining the county and getting games :p ( could be that ive just been rubhish, but im hopeing not) :p

I think that you raise an interesting point there, Ben

Have you ever raised it with your mentor, if you have one, the appropriate person at your local r.a., if you attend - or even if you don't attend or, even better, the r.d.o. at your county f.a.

tricky, i know, because they can be damned secretive at times, most of the time, in fact, but it's annoying not knowing.........

I think for this one I'd be giving a yellow for dissent, I think I'd find it hard to sell a red in a report but suppose you were there and heard it first hand so I'd imagine it might have been one of those cases when you had to be there.

i agree with Micky, i wouldn't have interpreted that phrase as offinabus.

maybe a yellow card and a chat with the player/captain/manager to explain that the CAR is your assistant and therefore should be treated as you should be treated. but all down to interpretation.

What a wonderful society we live in when some scrote of a 15 year old can tell an adult in a position of responsibilty that his or her decision was 'bloody bullshit' and some people can't see that it is offensive :(

it just sounds like an unnecessary inflammation of the situation. a caution and a stern word may have had the desired effect without creating the animosity of a "disputed" red.

Back