A&H

Nottingham Forest v Manchester City

bloovee

RefChat Addict
Haaland goes down when through on goal. Nothing given. From behind the goal it wasn't obvious what happened (or if it was in the PA). Guardiola got a YC for protesting. Interviewed for MotD he just said that wasn't why City didn't score more. MotD didn't do a replay or analysis of it, and I've not watched the whole-match replay (on CityTV). City fans seem split between those who say Haaland could or should have stayed on his feet, others point to similar "offences" (hand on shoulder) given against City players.

That's the fanzone stuff out of the way. Now to the question. Is this right? -

"The VAR protocol doesn't help. If the ref gave us a FK it would have been a red card for the defender - VAR would then have to rule whether it was a foul or a dive. But if the ref gave Haaland a yellow for a dive, VAR wouldn't intervene as it wasn't a penalty decision or a red card decision."

The Referee Store
Sorta. VAR would check whether it should have been red, but not whether it wasn’t a foul at all. The quirk is that if the VAR sent it down saying it was red, the R could decide it wasn’t a foul at all during the review. Where I’m not sure how the protocols play out is if the VAR concludes it was an OGSO, such that any foul was a red. I‘m not sure if (A) it gets sent down as C&O error not to give a red if a foul, or if (B) it doesn’t go down if the VAR also thinks there wasn’t a foul. I think it is A, but I’m not sure.

If a referee cautions for simulation but the VAR believes it was a clear and obvious (a) foul and (b) OGSO, then yes of course they can recommend a review.

Didn't think it was enough for a foul, and maybe the ref had it in his mind, that if he had given it, he would have to send off the defender. More surprised that Guardiola only got a yellow card for 'manhandling the fourth official'. Looked like a pure shove on MOTD, "

Trifling contact. The lightest brush. Should have taken the chance to shoot.

I think he’s also paid there for Grealish’s dive last week.

Back