A&H

Nothing to see here. Move on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ref: (loudly), "right number 14, last chance to shake my hand..."

Nr 14: A bunch of naughty words. And I'll take a red for offinabus from you too.

Later that month at the appeal hearing, player with 11 witnesses, states that the ref was abusive, insistant and provoking.

Mod note: I take your point HRW - however, please tone it done. SM

Last edited by a moderator:
The Referee Store
None of the youth players shake my hand for the most part. I expect the coaches and CAR's to shake my hand but if they don't there's nothing you can do. End of the game once I've got the fee I'm out of there.

I find it quite ironic how so many people are accusing @John J of being rude in the OP. Have you read your own responses? Yes he was wrong but is this really the best way to make him aware of this? Not siding with anyone, but it reads to me that some people need to get down off their own morale high ground.

Close this please mods as it is a waste of time and a sure fire way to put people off from joining and posting on this forum.

While I don't disagree with some of what you said @heedmatt I also don't think other forum users have behaved in an inappropriate way.

People are entitled to their opinion, that being @John J as well as everyone else.

If we went around closing evey topic which causes passionate discussion there wouldn't be a lot left worth reading. While people are behaving appropriately I see no reason to close the topic currently.

Gents - I think we are being a bit harsh on John. Cut him some slack.

Yes, John has done wrong, and he knows this, no need to continue belittling him.

Moral of the story = John, in the future, do not insist on shaking hands with players. It is similar to forcing players to come to you when you want a word / carry out disciplinary action - not good news.

While I don't disagree with some of what you said @heedmatt I also don't think other forum users have behaved in an inappropriate way.

People are entitled to their opinion, that being @John J as well as everyone else.

If we went around closing evey topic which causes passionate discussion there wouldn't be a lot left worth reading. While people are behaving appropriately I see no reason to close the topic currently.

Fair enough. I obviously hail from the dictatorship school of forum moderation ;)

@heedmatt No one is being insulting, if I'd go wrong and create my own rules I would very much appreciate that you guys shook me up a little bit rather than being too nice

@heedmatt No one is being insulting, if I'd go wrong and create my own rules I would very much appreciate that you guys shook me up a little bit rather than being too nice

Personally insulting, no, but rude, I would say that some of these posts are rude and unwelcoming, yes.

Who let the dogs out?

I'm with heedmatt on this one

Nearest I can come to this, john, is when a player came towards me after a game, held his hand out as if to shake my hand and then withdrew it at the last second, leaving me standing with my hand out. He was 13. (I sent him off a few minutes later for offinabus for another incident).

as for your o/p, definitely don't lose any sleep over this (the incident itself and the crass responses from some of your fellow 'men of the whistle')

Who let the dogs out?

I'm with heedmatt on this one

Nearest I can come to this, john, is when a player came towards me after a game, held his hand out as if to shake my hand and then withdrew it at the last second, leaving me standing with my hand out. He was 13. (I sent him off a few minutes later for offinabus for another incident).

as for your o/p, definitely don't lose any sleep over this (the incident itself and the crass responses from some of your fellow 'men of the whistle')
Different situation haywain, very different indeed.

I was rude and he wasn't?! He needs to rethink his approach to playing youth football!

That was a joke by the way. Don't anyone bother to react to it....

Genuinely interested as to what "catch yourself on" means....
It means Wise up in Norn Iron speak.

It is similar to forcing players to come to you when you want a word / carry out disciplinary action - not good news.

No it isn't. I choose a position where I can see every player and politely invite the player over. If he still refuses after a reasonable amount of time, I will approach him with a YC on top of whatever he was getting had he come over.
I do not, however, need to force a player to shake my hand.... ever.

Hand shakes after a match and a player showing complete disrespect and disregard for a referee in not coming over when asked to, are VERY different things to my mind @drahc :)

Correction.... whilst still on the pitch ..yes.... but not lets say car park/changing room etc....

Nothing in British law to say you can't wave yellow and red bits of card around after the game or indeed whenever you want, driving home maybe? But it won't mean a lot and a misconduct report would be more useful to the CFA :D

Nothing in British law to say you can't wave yellow and red bits of card around after the game or indeed whenever you want, driving home maybe? But it won't mean a lot and a misconduct report would be more useful to the CFA :D

Let's be honest - how many of us have been driving home after a game, with cards in pocket, and waved them at a driver who cuts you up (C1) or blasts their horn in your direction (C2) !?!?

Let's be honest - how many of us have been driving home after a game, with cards in pocket, and waved them at a driver who cuts you up (C1) or blasts their horn in your direction (C2) !?!?

Not many... I think you have a power complex :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back