A&H

Not Enough Games

JH

RefChat Addict
I hesitated about going for promotion (7-6) and so missed the chance to submit all my games from March and April.

Granted, I started the season only on one league and I am now on a second, but even doubling the open age games I had in the last promotion period doesn't get me the 20 required.

As long as you get the assessments in and you get the requirement marks, would you be denied for not getting the full 20?

The Referee Store
Hi @JH - Yes they would. The 20 games is a mandatory requirement. i was refused promotion once, in the very old days, for being 2 matches short. I found out that my average mark, for the games I did was high enough to promote me even if I had received zero marks for the two games. But since I was short, i was denied.

However, it is 20 games refereed in the marking season. So if you did matches in March & April, they should qualify as matches towards your 20. Check with your RDO.

Hi @JH - Yes they would. The 20 games is a mandatory requirement. i was refused promotion once, in the very old days, for being 2 matches short. I found out that my average mark, for the games I did was high enough to promote me even if I had received zero marks for the two games. But since I was short, i was denied.

However, it is 20 games refereed in the marking season. So if you did matches in March & April, they should qualify as matches towards your 20. Check with your RDO.

Will do, thank you.

I would also discuss the matches missed with your RDO, as there's a possibility they would still count towards the 20?

I did receive an email from my county to say if promotion wasn’t applied for and fee payed by March 1st then the promotion application would not be considered .

20 games is not enough for anybody to be considered for promotion IMO (in most cases). What’s up with people, learn your craft, plenty of time for promotions, #takescover :smoke:

You may have well been refereeing a few seasons so could have lots of games under your belt , the 20 games they talk about has to be in the period you are applying for promotion

20 games is not enough for anybody to be considered for promotion IMO (in most cases). What’s up with people, learn your craft, plenty of time for promotions, #takescover :smoke:
Agreed. I didn't apply for promo this year (my first opportunity to do so) because i'm not passing my own assessments yet, let alone anyone else's ;)

Agreed. I didn't apply for promo this year (my first opportunity to do so) because i'm not passing my own assessments yet, let alone anyone else's ;)

Ah, but the assessment feedback is valuable even if you fail completely. So I think it is worth applying for, even if you don't feel you will promote.

Ah, but the assessment feedback is valuable even if you fail completely. So I think it is worth applying for, even if you don't feel you will promote.
Ah, but using the analogy of a driving test, one wouldn't want to crash in the Test Centre car park! Not wishing to be overly self deprecating, but i'll be better placed come February

I would also discuss the matches missed with your RDO, as there's a possibility they would still count towards the 20?

I have, and they do. I overestimated how many OA games I did in March and April, but it's an extra 3 towards the total so it was worth checking.

Ah, but using the analogy of a driving test, one wouldn't want to crash in the Test Centre car park! Not wishing to be overly self deprecating, but i'll be better placed come February

You've already passed, and you're driving with L plates. The assessors are just teaching you the pass-plus to bring your insurance down...

... Okay, that didn't work.

True, but that is only the minimum number of games required in that promotion period which they use to work out average club marks etc.

I started my promotion last September:

22 middies
18 lines
5 assessments

It was a right squeeze but I managed it. Had to go hunting for games, taking many on the day appointments

I find it staggering that this weekend there are numerous emails about games not being covered but they have taken about 25-30 referees out of action to do a seminar/training/lotg exam.
The season only kicked off Sunday just gone. Why could they not have done this, say, 2 weeks ago?
This could easily affect the game number count at the end of the season especially with the expected games to be called off in the winter months.

I think I will hit 20 games but not sure if 70% will be open age as just managed to get onto mens leagues despite many emails to both county and the 3 leagues in my area that run open age.

Back