A&H

North Macedonia v England

RefereeX

RefChat Addict
Level 3 Referee
I’ll start…

Utterly ridiculous penalty for me. Ref looked like he didn’t want to give it either but felt that once he’d been called over he had to.

The Referee Store
Rico Lewis - careless swinging arm into the face of an opponent.

No issues here.

Dion Dublin upset on comms, but reverse it, Macedonian defender and an England attacker he’s calling it a nailed on decision.

Was it given for handball?

Given for Lewis’ flailing hand gently catching the striker in the face.

Not a chance it hurt him, but he rolled around for a bit so VAR checked it and sent the ref to the monitor.

I like to think I’m quite good at putting the bias to one side, but that decision is barmy

For me it's the classic anywhere else on the pitch it's a foul, the referee missed it but it was clear there was a swing of the arm so right decision for me.

For me it's the classic anywhere else on the pitch it's a foul, the referee missed it but it was clear there was a swing of the arm so right decision for me.

I don’t agree that that’s a foul anywhere else on the pitch. Unless we’re gonna start giving every bit of contact as a foul. 99% of the time that happens the red player just cracks on with it and nobody is any the wiser.
It’s certainly not a clear and obvious error by the referee to not award a penalty.

No swing at all, he jumped for the ball and his arms was in a clear natural position to do such jump.
The attacker made an absolute meal of it by staying down and conning the officials.

No swing at all, he jumped for the ball and his arms was in a clear natural position to do such jump.
The attacker made an absolute meal of it by staying down and conning the officials.
Exactly this. We should be using video footage to cut that sort of play-acting out of the game and yet instead we reward it with a VAR check and a penalty.

I don’t agree that that’s a foul anywhere else on the pitch. Unless we’re gonna start giving every bit of contact as a foul. 99% of the time that happens the red player just cracks on with it and nobody is any the wiser.
It’s certainly not a clear and obvious error by the referee to not award a penalty.

It's a clear swing of the arm and it catches the player in the face, you see these soft type of fouls all the time outside the box and there is no fuss but because it's in the penalty area then somehow it can't be a pen. I expected a penalty as soon as I saw the replay especially with UEFA/European officials who we know are more strict when it comes to contact so they give a decision we don't expect or agree with in this country.

That has to go down as one of the worst ever VAR interventions. I'm not giving a foul anywhere on the pitch for that, I'm certainly not giving a penalty. VAR is supposed to be for situations where all participants in football see a decision and can obviously see it was wrong, that wasn't even close to the case here.

I can’t get my head around how not one, but two, professional referees can look at that challenge and conclude that it was a penalty. Horrendous decision.

The careless swinging arm isn’t punished as often here in the UK. But elsewhere it is, and that’s totally consistent with the approach. Kyle Walker conceded similar against Tunisia in 2018 World Cup.

Not a penalty for me, though an unfortunate circumstance for Rico Lewis to find himself in.

What has annoyed me more however is one of the Channel 4 pundits claiming that the referee wants to be “the star of the show”. He’s a professional referee for god’s sake, he’s made a shocker on the decision because that is what sometimes happens, not because he wants us all to give him stick.

Harry Maguire could have easily had one given against him too.

It's a clear swing of the arm and it catches the player in the face, you see these soft type of fouls all the time outside the box and there is no fuss but because it's in the penalty area then somehow it can't be a pen. I expected a penalty as soon as I saw the replay especially with UEFA/European officials who we know are more strict when it comes to contact so they give a decision we don't expect or agree with in this country.
We’re gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.
His arm absolutely flails, but the player runs in to it, not the other way round, the contact is extremely minor and it’s just not a foul in any way shape or form for me, anywhere on the pitch.

UEFA absolutely will not back that decision, pretty sure this referee and VAR will not get any further high profile games this season. They might have backed them had it been given real time, but that was a million miles away from what they want to be seen as a clear and obvious error.

Not a penalty for me, though an unfortunate circumstance for Rico Lewis to find himself in.

What has annoyed me more however is one of the Channel 4 pundits claiming that the referee wants to be “the star of the show”. He’s a professional referee for god’s sake, he’s made a shocker on the decision because that is what sometimes happens, not because he wants us all to give him stick.

Harry Maguire could have easily had one given against him too.
I just said the same elsewhere. Joe Cole with a comment that is so moronic and unhelpful it’s unreal. The referee didn’t even give it initially, so I’m not quite sure where he gets that utter tripe from.

I think that is more about his extremely aggressive behaviour towards players, it really doesn't look good.

Back