A&H

Junior/Youth No red card?

My experience from playing at that age is that we always knew what we did. If someone committed DOGSO, anything other than a red would put the ref in a difficult position. At U12 I'd still be in doubt

The Referee Store
Its only youth football I’ve done. Only time I’m lenient on cards is any game thats not an 11 a side.

Refereeing kids football is more of an art than a science. That is.... even more so that OA

I haven't done youth football since my first season as a referee, but I don't recall ever being given any official or unofficial advice about applying the laws differently in youth football.

We'd need to be able to see the incident to say whether it might not have been a DOGSO offence, or whether it was and the ref made a mistake.

The reason of feeling bad for dismissing a 14 year old does sound a bit weak to me though.

I once sent an under 11 defender off for tipping a goal bound shot over the bar when he was stood on the line. His team was loosing 17-0 at the time. I felt really bad about issuing the red card but everyone accepted the decision. It was in the days when written report was submitted and suspensions and fines not automatically applied. I found out later that county FA decided sending off was sufficient punishment.

I once sent an under 11 defender off for tipping a goal bound shot over the bar when he was stood on the line. His team was loosing 17-0 at the time. I felt really bad about issuing the red card but everyone accepted the decision. It was in the days when written report was submitted and suspensions and fines not automatically applied. I found out later that county FA decided sending off was sufficient punishment.

I did the same game. But the way I saw that incident was that the ball had just gone over the line before the kid tipped it ;) So I gave the goal and only a yellow card.

I cover an U13 and U14 league on a Sunday.

Ive not had the situation but i know it will come one day when a player goes through and DOGSO occurs especially early on in the game.

As some have stated rightly or wrongly (wrongly in law) i think scoreline and game situation can come into it.

Are you going to send off a keeper with two minutes left for DOGSO when his side are already 8-0 down ?

Exactly right. I remember a cup game where it had gone to extra time, but the away team had scored twice in the first half of extra time and again at the start of the second half (after an uneventful 1-1 draw in regular time!). Second half is coming to an end, their striker is through on goal, taps it round the keeper just outside the area and is taken down.

I decide that he wouldn't have reached the ball before it went out of play, so issue a yellow to the keeper because it's therefore not DOGSO. Would I have reached the same conclusion if the game was tight? Hard to say...

Are you going to send off a keeper with two minutes left for DOGSO when his side are already 8-0 down ?
Depends on the level really - perhaps on a cold Sunday morning or Juniour level I might look too see if there can be any leniency afforded.
But, the answer is that you absolutely should.. Whilst it has no bearing on that game it has the potential to affect other matters in the league/competition standings.
At my normal Saturday games, he has to go in the 1st or 93rd minute irrespective of the scoreline at the time.

Back