A&H

No Glasses, No Contacts in the rain

OnlyUseMeWhistle

RefChat Addict
Level 3W Referee
I had the joy, a couple of years ago, of finding out I have a mild astigmatism.

I've worn glasses for screen use and driving since, neither are required but it helps with eye strain because the biggest issue I find is that trademark refraction of sunlight and streetlights. When it is a bright day I wear them for refereeing because otherwise the glare can obstruct my view (floodlights are fine).

Obviously, when it rains glasses aren't ideal and whilst I can see almost as normal without them, I have put up with wiping them regularly on days with rain and sun in previous seasons.

Going up a level this season I was recently observed as an AR and an observer asked me after "what do you do when it rains?" I explained that my vision was okay without them and that it's mainly for sun glare and he seemed happy.

I cannot wear contacts because the joys of autism combine poor hand eye coordination with sensitivity to weird sensations...

So my question is, does anyone actually manage with glasses in the rain beyond a certain level. I actually have treated a pair with hydrophobic coating and they work really well but I know it doesn't look great. It maybe effects 3-4 games a season because in full rain any vision issues are irrelevant through a wall of water.

I refereed for years without them and my vision hasn't changed so I am guessing that is the answer but just wanted to see if anyone had similar experiences or solutions.

ADMINS: with consent I'll delete this thread after a couple of days/when it dies because sods law some cheeky manager will find it

A&H International
In the old days when Referees were a class rather than a level then couldn’t be a class 1 if wore glasses, which i did at the time but then converted to contacts even with astigmatism, but not sensitive for me.

Last edited:
In the old days when Referees were a class rather than a level them couldn’t be a class 1 if wore glasses, which i did at the time but then converted to contacts even with astigmatism, but not sensitive for me.
I recall having to do a sight examination when I first qualified. Not sure thats a thing now either

Apologies that is not even close to being on topic.

Glasses are fine to be worn. I know of several referees that wear glasses at level 4. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Glasses are fine to be worn. I know of several referees that wear glasses at level 4. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Love this, by no means am I assuming I'm good enough but I'd like to try for 2W and beyond if I can and would be a shame if I was held back by something I cannot control.

Back