A&H

NLD red card

The Referee Store
Absolutely nailed on, to use a footballing term "he has done him". No attempt to play the ball and caught him way too high on the leg.

The fact that everyone, commentators, pundits, and seemingly generally everyone in the game, supports it speaks volumes.

A certain red

But no worse than others have been cautioned for, inc by this referee this season

A certain red

But no worse than others have been cautioned for, inc by this referee this season
Pretty sure Taylor didn't see it clearly. He took an age to pull the red card and I'm certain it was either Gary Beswick or Rob Jones that came in over comms.

Pretty sure Taylor didn't see it clearly. He took an age to pull the red card and I'm certain it was either Gary Beswick or Rob Jones that came in over comms.

Maybe he was replaying it over and over again in his head to see if like last time he could manage a yellow

I was confused at first as it looked yellow. But the replay showed the way he caught the ankle with no attempt to play the ball. I think it was a great call. Great example of endangering the safety of the opponent. Point of contact high enough, and enough force to twist the ankle. Whoever called it - and is there s chance that Stockley is also commenting - it was a great decision IMHO.

Taylor has been great for as long as I can remember now.

It's also a red card that hasn't been given all season in the PL. So some frustration is understandable when you consider it was the first SFP red of the season (I think) despite tackles with much more force and height on the shin being a yellow at most. (With the PGMOL talking heads defending the yellows on TV too)

It's also a red card that hasn't been given all season in the PL. So some frustration is understandable when you consider it was the first SFP red of the season (I think) despite tackles with much more force and height on the shin being a yellow at most. (With the PGMOL talking heads defending the yellows on TV too)
Yeah, I think this is really astute. It's SFP, but probably less so that some others.

I was confused at first as it looked yellow. But the replay showed the way he caught the ankle with no attempt to play the ball. I think it was a great call. Great example of endangering the safety of the opponent. Point of contact high enough, and enough force to twist the ankle. Whoever called it - and is there s chance that Stockley is also commenting - it was a great decision IMHO.

Taylor has been great for as long as I can remember now.

Totally agree on that last point, he's a referee that is not afraid to make a huge call and rightfully gets the recognition for it from the powers to be.

It does look like it could of been the lino who told him what card to produce as he had the best view from it but either way the right decision.

I'm a Spurs supporter and I can affirm this was a nailed on sending off. Studs to high ankle, locked leg, off the ground, lunging tackle, high speed and high force. It's excessive force, it's serious foul play all day long.

I think the controversy surrounding this play is that, as others have mentioned, we have seen similar types of challenges not sanctioned as sendoffs. What I don't know is whether there was any communication with PGMOL and the Premier League about a potentially lower bar for sendoffs. It's possible (but perhaps unlikely) that with Webb coming in, maybe he has started to make some of his feelings known and has started to influence some things. I can say that the bar for sendoffs in MLS/PRO is definitely lower than what we've seen in England. Taylor may have also been thinking with his "UEFA brain" having come off of his UEFA duty. In any case, a sendoff definitely was not a clear error in any case.

If this type of play happens in Italy, Spain, or France, I think it's a sendoff all day long and no one gives it a second thought (particularly in France - they are not messing around when it comes to dealing with misconduct this season!). But England has had a very high threshold for red cards for a long time and particularly this season.

Back