A&H

Nigeria - Iceland

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can they look worse it’s the same challenge just slowed down,
I can't believe that you're not aware of the well-known (and oft-cited) phenomenon that challenges almost invariably look worse when they're seen in slow motion. Someone the other day (can't remember who now, sorry) referred to studies that have been done which prove this - I don't know how many such studies there are but here's an extract from one:
In case of high-impact tackle incidents, there is a clear impact of slow motion, altering the judgment of the referees towards more severe disciplinary sanctions for the offending players

Scientist warns new tech could lead to bad calls

The reason is fairly simple - in slow motion things look like they take longer to happen (unsurprisingly) so you automatically and almost unconsciously start to feel the player had more time than they really did or as the study's author puts it:
re-watching film messes with “spatiotemporal predictability”: Referees watching the clips in slow motion perceive that players had more time to avoid the collision, even if in real time, the foul was unavoidable.

This scientifically-established principle is the reason why the VAR protocol says the system should:
utilise slow motion and ‘frame-by-frame’ functionality for point of contact only (not for handball or intensity of contact)

The Referee Store
I can't believe that you're not aware of the well-known (and oft-cited) phenomenon that challenges almost invariably look worse when they're seen in slow motion. Someone the other day (can't remember who now, sorry) referred to studies that have been done which prove this - I don't know how many such studies there are but here's an extract from one:

Scientist warns new tech could lead to bad calls

The reason is fairly simple - in slow motion things look like they take longer to happen (unsurprisingly) so you automatically and almost unconsciously start to feel the player had more time than they really did or as the study's author puts it:

This scientifically-established principle is the reason why the VAR protocol says the system should:

Course I’m aware of it Peter I’m trying to keep my side of the argument going.

Slight contact or zero contact can be seen on Slow mo & a lot harder to spot in real time hence the pen Nigeria v Iceland wasn’t given in real time.

Why stop a game and play silly beggers by only showing stuff in full speed, you’ve stoped a game for heavens sake let’s give the ref all available footage to get the correct decision or would you prefer the ref to miss it again because you’ve only shown it to him in full speed, seems ridiculous to me, what would be the point in stoping the game in the first place to show him a replay that is inconclusive, give him a slow mo & you’ve got what you need to make the call.

You and the protocol are talking like showing slo mo is the equivalent of showing the ref a Jackie Chan movie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Course I’m aware of it Peter I’m trying to keep my side of the argument going.

Slight contact or zero contact can be seen on Slow mo & a lot harder to spot in real time hence the pen Nigeria v Iceland wasn’t given in real time.

Why stop a game and play silly beggers by only showing stuff in full speed, you’ve stoped a game for heavens sake let’s give the ref all available footage to get the correct decision or would you prefer the ref to miss it again because you’ve only shown it to him in full speed, seems ridiculous to me, what would be the point in stoping the game in the first place to show him a replay that is inconclusive, give him a slow mo & you’ve got what you need to make the call.

You and the protocol are talking like showing slo mo is the equivalent of showing the ref a Jackie Chan movie.
No, we're taking about the normal kind of slow motion replay used in all football matches and the proven effect that it has on human perception. Anyway, I've already made the point twice that slow motion should not be used for judging the intensity of challenges - including linking to scientific analysis that clearly establishes the validity of the argument and quoting from the protocol that states (roughly 15 times by my count) that slow motion should not be used for such purposes.

I'm not quite sure why you think you know better than the scientists who have studied this and the vastly more experienced referees in the IFAB that have also looked into the phenomenon in great depth for several years so I'm not going to belabour the point any further after this.

No, we're taking about the normal kind of slow motion replay used in all football matches and the proven effect that it has on human perception. Anyway, I've already made the point twice that slow motion should not be used for judging the intensity of challenges - including linking to scientific analysis that clearly establishes the validity of the argument and quoting from the protocol that states (roughly 15 times by my count) that slow motion should not be used for such purposes.

I'm not quite sure why you think you know better than the scientists who have studied this and the vastly more experienced referees in the IFAB that have also looked into the phenomenon in great depth for several years so I'm not going to belabour the point any further after this.

Yep scientists know all about giving pens just like refs know all about systematic enterprises that build and organize knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back