A&H

Nigeria - Iceland

Status
Not open for further replies.

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
Lovely Musa clearly tells the ref to f***off on 32 mins.

In case my lot are reading: it’s a yellow.

But nothing here.

Ref is doing well to wave away falling but there are a few he could have given. When the defenfer stops, expecting to concede the foul, you can be pretty sure you should have blown.

So, it’s the scrappy world cup. Right now the football, like the foul line, is a bit rubbish.

The Referee Store
And that is a perfect example of how VAR should be used. Clear pen that may be difficult to see from ref’s angle, perhaps took longer than he needed to deliberate but fairly streamlined, efficient process.

I thought the Viking was on his way down. Most referees would have given it however

Thought it was a pretty obvious penalty (from the TV), so was disappointed he didn't give it initially. VAR saved his bacon!

Gutted for Iceland though, bad day at the office for them!

Attention was focussed on the hands/arms. Certainly not a foul for a push, but it the reverse angle is critical as it clearly shows the kick in the calf.

Is it me or were the replays shown to him all in full speed & all from the wrong angle, the most telling angle that we saw at home I believe he didn’t see.

It seems so odd that you would stop s game and then not give the refs the best angles & slow mo.

Last edited by a moderator:
They did get a camera to zoom in and show what the referee was looking at on the VAR screen (which I thought they weren't supposed to do, at least not according to the FIFA video that explained what the viewers at home would see while an OFR was taking place) and the first couple of replays he looked at were not the ones that gave the best view of the incident. Then the footage cut away to show the interior of the VOR for a while, then back to the referee as he gave the decision. I suspect that during the time the camera was not on the referee, he was shown the other angles that we saw at home, including the one that showed the incident most clearly.

As for slow motion, this is the kind of incident where as I understand it, slow motion is not recommended according to the protocol, as it tends to make "physical contact challenges" look worse than they are.

If you’re gonna do it do it properly.

All angles full speed slo mo the lot.

It really isn’t difficult to get this right, they keep making fundamental errors & it’s annoying.

All angles full speed slo mo the lot.
Not for me and not according to the protocol - if you watch certain kinds of challenges (basically, virtually any physical contact challenge) in slow motion they look worse and so you end up getting the wrong decision. VAR should not be used in a way that will lead to the wrong decision - that would completely defeat the object of the exercise.

Not for me and not according to the protocol - if you watch certain kinds of challenges (basically, virtually any physical contact challenge) in slow motion they look worse and so you end up getting the wrong decision. VAR should not be used in a way that will lead to the wrong decision - that would completely defeat the object of the exercise.

How can they look worse it’s the same challenge just slowed down, if it’s a question of minimal contact like the game and pen in question then you need it slowed down.

Full speed hard to call slow motion easy to call & correct decision given (that’s the whole point right, the ref missed it live in full speed & now he’s getting a chance to look at it again, he’s already seen it on the pitch at full speed).

At the end of the day you are stopping a match and running off the pitch why not give the referee all possible versions of the event to ultimately justify stopping the game, it would be ludicrous not to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back