A&H

Newcastle v Southampton

The Referee Store
@Ciley Myrus do you genuinely believe this or are you too stubborn to admit you were wrong? A couple of weeks ago you were praising the non-advantage and subsequent DOGSO Attwell played in the Swansea game - that even was further out than this...there was one the other day where the player was through but taken down on the edge of the penalty area, further out. This is more central than most

@Ciley Myrus do you genuinely believe this or are you too stubborn to admit you were wrong? A couple of weeks ago you were praising the non-advantage and subsequent DOGSO Attwell played in the Swansea game - that even was further out than this...there was one the other day where the player was through but taken down on the edge of the penalty area, further out. This is more central than most

Cant be wrong on a referee opinion call.
Can have different opinions on it, but as those going red cant be wrong, neither can those going yellow
In my opinion, too far from goal, not central, not convinced would have got ball, my opinion, yellow

Was Atwells not 40 yards from goal, if not closer, or am I thinking of another one? I really cant recall the incident being in the other half of the field of play!

Cant be wrong on a referee opinion call.
Can have different opinions on it, but as those going red cant be wrong, neither can those going yellow
In my opinion, too far from goal, not central, not convinced would have got ball, my opinion, yellow

Was Atwells not 40 yards from goal, if not closer, or am I thinking of another one? I really cant recall the incident being in the other half of the field of play!

Yes, the point being though that you seem fixated on this notion that the ball is too wide when there are a lot of DOGSO calls correctly given when the ball is wider

Take the centre spot. And imagine a line 4 yards to the left, and four yards to the right of it. You now have your, headed to the goal
Bear in mind, the centre circle extends to 10 yards, so, your 4 yards (the goal) falls well inside this

Now take the ball, its nowhere near the line you have just drawn. Its prob, 12 yards wide, of, heading to goal

Unless we are confusing heading to goal with, heading to the goal area.

Its not going to, under its own steam, but if the ball was allowed to roll and roll, it would run 12/14 yards from the goal frame

For it to be headed to the goal (and not the goal area), the ball would be in the centre circle, four yards one side, or four yards the other, ( making 8, the width of the goal frame)..

The ball is not even in the centre circle, far less within that 8 yard target.

View attachment 3419
Why is where the goal posts are relevant to any argument about Dogso? Where does it say the ball must be heading towards the goal? The LOTG state "general direction of play". In this case the general direction of play is towards the opponents goal.. Not heading away from it. Not going backwards. But advancing on the opponents goal.. The mere fact that you've drawn this imaginary force field between the posts where Dogso can only be committed within is not in keeping with the considerations for Dogso imo.
This isn't cut and dry by any stretch of the imagination... So I accept that you believe a yellow is sufficient. But I can't accept the argument that it definitely isn't Dogso unless heading exactly towards the goal and within the width of the goal.

Distance between the offence, AND THE GOAL

not , the goal area, the goal The onion bag. The 8 yards long things at either end of the pitch. The goal.

I can accept red, I personally dont think it is one and would not be issuing one had it happened on a game I was on

Its getting silly now.

Suppose Mr E could clear it up

Suppose Mr E could clear it up
He won't. He doesn't comment on match incidents.

The distance between the ball and the goal is exactly that. How many yards from a to b. Not angles nor position. That's where general direction of play comes in.

In this case the position has less bearing because in my opinion it only serves to give him a greater chance to hone in on the goal once he has most certainly regained possession.

Yes, the point being though that you seem fixated on this notion that the ball is too wide when there are a lot of DOGSO calls correctly given when the ball is wider
Why does it need to be central? I understand that would be the case on the edge of the area, but the further away from goal the less this matters..

Few seasons ago Stuart Atwell got slated for binning Scotf Parker for a DOGSO just inside the attacking half. It was overturned on appeal. The same would have happened here. Still too much to do.
That would have been under the old wording of moving toward the opponent's goal (and was with other defenders around).

Seeing Ciley likes diagrams I suggest he draws a line from where the foul occurred to a point in line but halfway across the pitch, then lines from each point to the centre of the far end goal to make a right angled triangle.

As pointed out above, the further away from the goal the less the wider angle matters. If the foul was 12 yards off centre and 80 yards from the goal line he is less than a yard further from the goal than from the central position. The nearest defender is 20 yards behind.

Even Pythagoras says it's Dogso.

Back