The Ref Stop

Newcastle - City

The Ginger Ref

Level 7 Referee
Is Stuart Attwell feeling okay? Penalty confirmed within 30 seconds of the penalty being awarded!

However, unlike Stuart, that is purely simulation for me by Gordon

Seems bizarre they managed to confirm the penalty so quick when every replay seems to suggest simulation

The Ref Stop
Is Stuart Attwell feeling okay? Penalty confirmed within 30 seconds of the penalty being awarded!

Seems bizarre they managed to confirm the penalty so quick when every replay seems to suggest simulation
That's what I thought on all the replays as well. But in the last replay it shows Ederson got pulled/tripped) Gordon on top of his foot where his shoe laces are.

Around 14th min I thought there was and advantage played on a DOGSO however the result was nowhere near an OGSO. Did anyone else notice it? The foul was on Gordon about 5 yards outside the area almost directly in front I think.

I'll grant you that the fall was dramatic, but every replay I saw did show contact. To be completely honest (and I'm not a Newcastle fan or a City detractor), this is one where I felt video replay "confirmed" the decision (i.e. the video showed with a high degree of certainty that the onfield call was correct).

Also thought the later play near the City goal area was the right call. Yes, a little contact, but nothing rising to the level of a foul for me in that instance.

This is why I love the subjectivity of refereeing

Until I see a replay that outright confirms there was contact, I am still in the dive camp.

Even if there is minimal contact, Gordon has gone looking for it and has scored 10s for simulation

But absolutely right for VAR to not re-referee the situation, we don’t want to go back to 6 minute VAR Decisions

It's a dive and called it immediately.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, var rewards cheaters. Empower them to give the right decisions and the game will be much better for it

I'm not really seeing anything other than penalty here, Ederson's body lands right in front of Gordon's left foot, there's absolutely no way he could avoid the contact. Absolute clear penalty for me.

Back