A&H

NEW MCI re-refereeing

Who are you and what happened to @Big Cat ?
Mind you, I've always felt that these types of tackles should be a dismissal. But they're not.... not at the moment anyway
Semi-Pro footy and it's the type of incident that causes mayhem

This foul was not dangerous, but it was blatant aggravated cheating and we know how I feel about that

The Referee Store
Play it through logically. Was it a tackle? No, as the law defines a tackle as a challenge for the ball with the foot. Now not even the most ardent of Newcastle fans could claim that Tripper was trying to get the ball, and he has just admitted as much in the interview. So if it isn't a tackle what is it? It can only be kicking an opponent, and that is violent conduct.

Play it through logically. Was it a tackle? No, as the law defines a tackle as a challenge for the ball with the foot. Now not even the most ardent of Newcastle fans could claim that Tripper was trying to get the ball, and he has just admitted as much in the interview. So if it isn't a tackle what is it? It can only be kicking an opponent, and that is violent conduct.
I agree, it should be VC. The players would soon learn
They've now had it confirmed again (and again) that it's only a yellow, so expect a lot more of it

Mind you, I've always felt that these types of tackles should be a dismissal. But they're not.... not at the moment anyway
Semi-Pro footy and it's the type of incident that causes mayhem

This foul was not dangerous, but it was blatant aggravated cheating and we know how I feel about that

They are in UEFA. We saw one given as VC against Rangers yesterday. For some reason it's a clear error in the PL though

I've said many times before, I hate that kind of challenge. The ball was in a different postcode, and it wasn't just a little trip, rather Trippier has properly lunged at him. I feel for Gillett as in most other countries a red card for that wouldn't be questioned at all. From the amount of time he looked at it, and his body language after, he clearly didn't want to change his mind but it does appear they have been told they must always go with a VAR recommendation.

I'm afraid it is yet another example of the shambles of VAR in England, and it comes purely down to management rather than the match officials.

And yet all the media(apart from Carragher it seems) seems too think it was the right decision and this is the good side of VAR.

For me this is where we need the audio because if Gillett give the red because he thought it was studs first then it was wrong but is it enough for a overturn? I don't think so personally.

And yet all the media(apart from Carragher it seems) seems too think it was the right decision and this is the good side of VAR.

For me this is where we need the audio because if Gillett give the red because he thought it was studs first then it was wrong but is it enough for a overturn? I don't think so personally.
I suspect he gave it because there was zero attempt to play the ball and it was a lunge. He's spent the majority of his refereeing career in Australia and on FIFA games and that would absolutely be a red card. For some reason in England there seems to be an expectation that you can launch yourself at a player with no attempt to play the ball.

They are in UEFA. We saw one given as VC against Rangers yesterday. For some reason it's a clear error in the PL though
OK, I accept you're correct. I don't watch much UEFA so wouldn't know

Interestingly, on our pre-season Development Day, we were shown the same sort of FT in which there was no attempt to play the ball and we were told to dismiss. However, the example we were shown was more dangerous

I despise cheating, so I'd be happy to see the EPL go red with all of these. I can't recall a similar dismissal in the EPL, but if they wanted to take a new stance, they've passed up the opportunity again. Which of course, invites a mutiny if we show red in a Contrib/Supply game

Again I reiterate, we shouldn't question the Referees decisions here. It's the instructions they work to
It's not Gillett's fault for going against the usual grain, nor is it Banke's fault for reminding the Aussie which Country he's in and what's expected

OK, I accept you're correct. I don't watch much UEFA so wouldn't know

Interestingly, on our pre-season Development Day, we were shown the same sort of FT in which there was no attempt to play the ball and we were told to dismiss. However, the example we were shown was more dangerous

I despise cheating, so I'd be happy to see the EPL go red with all of these. I can't recall a similar dismissal in the EPL, but if they wanted to take a new stance, they've passed up the opportunity again. Which of course, invites a mutiny if we show red in a Contrib/Supply game
There have been reds for it in EPL games. Rooney got one (I think) against Derby, and Xhaka for Arsenal, both were pre-VAR days though so no idea if they'd have been overturned.

There have been reds for it in EPL games. Rooney got one (I think) against Derby, and Xhaka for Arsenal, both were pre-VAR days though so no idea if they'd have been overturned.
Found it ...

I'm not searching through Xhaka's red cards though as that would take far too long 😂

Anyone suspect that the referee shown the red by mistake? He glances up at the card and looks a little hesitant when he does. Does he speak to VAR over comms and asks for a review?

That is not how VAR is meant to work. Clear and obvious is not decided with a discussion between the referee and the VAR. VAR decides if the decision was clearly and obviously wrong on his own. Once/if he decides it was, then the discussion should begin.

MD don't ask Taylor "did you see the hair pull?". He just didn't think it was VC and no discussion. At least that's how I think it went.

Found it ...

I'm not searching through Xhaka's red cards though as that would take far too long 😂
Scrap that, I found Xhaka's as well ...

What decade were those in though
We're not in disagreement here. I'd like to see them dismissed. But since those incidents, how many have drawn a caution? Dozens most likely
FWIW there have dismissals in the EFL over recent years (I know, cos that's what I watch), bit still relatively isolated decisions without VAR to interfere

We've had this chat before. Philosophically, I'd like referees to have to option to show red here.

Laws as written, you have to massively over-stretch the definition of VC to get to a red here and it's usually not supportable without a SFP-level of force and danger, which isn't the case in this incident.

Scrap that, I found Xhaka's as well ...

This reminded me. I saw a video of a compilation of Arsenal woman’s receiving yellow cards for the 21/22 season. 25 minutes long! And it might sound odd but I enjoyed the ways in which different referees used different methods to show their cards. Some flashed them, some used a notebook then showed the YC, one used this thing where it was a notebook on the inside and if you folded it, it became a yellow card- whatever it was I just found it very interesting. I can try and find the video if liked. Sorry for being off topic!

Back